Computer Help forum

General discussion

How do you fix this application error (0xc0000135)

by have_a_glitch / February 21, 2009 6:42 AM PST

I recently cleared out a trojan with from my system with Symantec anitivirus and when I came out of safe mode to boot up again I now get the error message "The application failed to initiate properly (0xc0000135)".

Does anyone have suggestions on what freeware could address this fix? I did run "CCleaner" and it didn't fix this particular error.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do you fix this application error (0xc0000135)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do you fix this application error (0xc0000135)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I did go here initially
by have_a_glitch / February 22, 2009 5:06 AM PST

thanks anyways but I was hoping to find a freeware item.

Collapse -
Be CAUTIOUS about RegCure.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 21, 2009 8:27 PM PST

The poster above links to a web site that promotes using RegCure to fix this type of error.

RegCure and many other "Registry Optimizer and Fixer" utilities have many discussions about them, in these forums and elsewhere, about the problems they cause. RegCure in particular appears to find numerous registry errors, but then requires you to purchase the product to fix those errors.

Registry Optimizers can be dangerous, especially if the user is inexperienced and hoping for a "one-click" solution to problems. Here is one forum discussion about RegCure;;tree#2315697

And I found this using Google;

That error message, "The application failed to initiate properly (0xc0000135)". Does it appear in a small window with a header? If so, what program is stated in the header? Here is an example of what I mean, giving "Mobtkr Speeder v 3.2.exe";

What does your window say?

There are two possible causes.

1] Symantec, (Nortons), deleted the virus but some remnant remains, and that remnant is attempting to load at Startup.

Goto Start > Run, type in MSCONFIG and click OK. In the System Configuration Editor that appears, click the Startup tab, and look for anything to do with that software stated in the header bar, or for any entry that doesn't look right to you. Google will help you there.

2] It may be that a .Net Framework component is missing. This is a Microsoft component and can be uninstalled via the Control Panel's Add/Remove Programs utility, and re-downloaded from the Microsoft Download Center or through Windows Update.

Collapse -
Problem Solved
by have_a_glitch / February 22, 2009 5:51 AM PST

The program on the header was "shs.exe"

When i googled this I realized this ties to Rogers High Speed Internet Self Healing software which I have. So once I removed this application I no longer get the application error message.

Thank for your help Mark

Collapse -
(NT) Glad its fixed, and thanks for reporting back.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 22, 2009 5:54 PM PST
In reply to: Problem Solved
Collapse -
Error Message Title
by dvdtyrant / September 13, 2010 5:35 PM PDT

The name of the program that is giving me the same error message is "Windows - Application Error" anytime I try to load ANY webpage except Facebook or try to open a new tab. Any suggestions to fix this irritating error?

Collapse -
help please
by katiebug43 / November 1, 2009 4:24 AM PST

icant log on to google chrome today. it was working just fine when i went to bed last night but not today. so what do i need to do?? please help me. i use chrome to play games on facebook and my space. internet explorer locks upi when i play them on it or i get constantly booted off the internet and it restarts. so i would like to have chrome working again.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.