Computer Help forum

General discussion

how do you do full system backup in vista home premium?

by pc_tech2008 / March 21, 2008 12:27 PM PDT

how do you do full system backup in vista home premium?

cannot seem to do it via control panel backup/restore

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: how do you do full system backup in vista home premium?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: how do you do full system backup in vista home premium?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Tried A Program Like 'Ghost'?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 21, 2008 2:32 PM PDT

As was described to you in the Vista forum, Home Premium doesn't provide that particular option. You'll need to use a third party program to perform the full system backup.

The question comes, why do you think you need one? Since most of the new brand name Vista machines provide a Recovery disc which will take you back to the original factory state, as long as you backup you're important files, it amounts to a similar result.. Generally, a mirror backup is best those that change their system frequently.. Are you one?

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
(NT) Most techs use an image
by PudgyOne / March 21, 2008 3:24 PM PDT
Collapse -
Imaging Software Works Best
by markcynt / March 22, 2008 12:03 AM PDT

I use Acronis True Image. It works great for me. I am constantly tweaking , changing settings, and trying out new programs so I make an Image and when I restore it goes right to the point in time that I made the image including documents, programs, files, and settings.

Mark

Collapse -
Since you have a home version ...
by Edward ODaniel / March 22, 2008 4:57 AM PDT

vista doesn't offer you its imaging which is available in the Business and Ultimate versions.

As indicated by others I too would suggest either Acronis True Image or Ghost with my personal preference being Acronis. (there are several other third party drive imaging solutions such as Paragon and even some freeware - do a google search for "Drive imaging software" and do include the quotes)

Collapse -
I Have Ultimate (sorry)
by markcynt / March 22, 2008 7:37 AM PDT

Vista Ultimate does not make an image. Only backs up files, docs, emails, etc.

Collapse -
Are you sure?
by glenn30 / March 22, 2008 9:38 AM PDT

Using Vista Ultimate I go to Control Panel where "Backup and Restore Center" is found.

Could be wrong but I think that is where you find it. Grin

Glenn

Collapse -
Yes I Know
by markcynt / March 22, 2008 10:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Are you sure?

I have tried Vista's backup, and it is very difficult to use. Back up files, no problem. But when it comes to making a complete disk or partition image it sucks. Acronis True Image is hands down better than any Windows backup solution. I got TI for free to resolve an issue I had with Acronis support using their Disk Director partition manager which I paid for. I would gladly pay for TI if I had to. It's very easy to use. I'm very happy with both products. There are some things Windows just does not do well and 2 of those things are partitioning and full system restores with all your 3rd party software just as it was at the time it was backed up.

Collapse -
Now that you made yourself clear... you may be right
by glenn30 / March 22, 2008 10:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes I Know

I knew the image feature was there as I have made a backup image... never tried or needed to restore an image so what you say may be true as to proper function.

I am not debating its merits or that of Acronis. Hope never find the need for either but will not hold my breath. Thanks for the explanation.

Glenn

Collapse -
I know I'm Right
by markcynt / March 22, 2008 11:22 PM PDT

I have 3 primary partitions with XP Pro on 2 of them, Vista Ultimate on the other. With the Vista Ultimate Backup And Restore I can not image each partition individually. I can image 2 of of them togather or all 3 together. I require the option to restore each partition individually which Acronis TI does easily and flawlessly. I tested it on each individual partition and the system as a whole. Each backup and restore worked perfectly. As for XP's Backup, I don't even think about using that, it's too hard to use. I mean, you have to floppy disks. No thanks.

Mark

Collapse -
I have read your replys to Glenn but you are wrong here ...
by Edward ODaniel / March 23, 2008 3:43 AM PDT

because Vista Business, Ultimate and Enterprize all offer Complete PC Backup and Restore Imaging.

Not difficult and can be accomplished while within the OS (like Acronis which you show preference for).

It was not designed for imaging separate partitions, it was designed for imaging and restoring THE ENTIRE PC (as the name hints at).

If your preference is for any third party imaging solution, more power to you BUT your saying "Vista Ultimate does not make an image. Only backs up files, docs, emails, etc." is patently false.

Just like you, I prefer Acronis but Vista Backup and Restore is quite adequate and just as effective for backing up files or the whole drive albeit minus a few bells and whistles and stating that it doesn't is not only factually false, but discourteous to those who use and appreciate it.

For those without Vista or with only the Home versions (or those with Business, Ultimate, or Enterprize versions unfamiliar with Vista's native backup tools) this might be an interesting read:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/features/details/backup.mspx#complete

Does it work? YES!

Is it "difficult"? NO! (at least no more difficult than other imaging or backup solutions)

It is the "ultimate" backup solution? NO! Since most people have different preferenced and desires as well as perceptions NO backup solution is such - but it does do what it says it does and does it well.

Collapse -
No It Does Not
by markcynt / March 23, 2008 3:52 AM PDT

When I try to run the full backup my C and E partitions are already checked and grayed out so that I can't uncheck either one. I can either run it like that or add D. That's all the options I have!

Collapse -
Another Thought
by markcynt / March 23, 2008 4:03 AM PDT

Now that I read your post more carefully,I see that you should look at my post which is right above yours where I do admit That Vista Ultimate does in fact image. And then I went on in detail the limitations. And who are you to call me discourteous? I found out I was wrong and posted it.

Collapse -
Now you can read my post again and ...
by Edward ODaniel / March 23, 2008 5:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Another Thought

don't skip the third paragraph.

As I stated initially, I did read your replies to Glenn and it is your "preferences" that are not satisfied by the native Complete PC Backup - it is NOT a failing of the backup as it does EXACTLY what it claims and nothing more.

You stated to glenn "But when it comes to making a complete disk or partition image it sucks" and that is FALSE!

You do indicate that your "needs" are different than what Vista's Complete PC Backup offers and provides but your "needs" or "preferences" are not any indication of the capability of the utility to do what the initial poster wanted to know and what the utility does and does well.

Regarding "And who are you to call me discourteous?", i fail to see where iI did any such thing - I stated Just like you, I prefer Acronis but Vista Backup and Restore is quite adequate and just as effective for backing up files or the whole drive albeit minus a few bells and whistles and stating that it doesn't is not only factually false, but discourteous to those who use and appreciate it.

I stand by that comment as factually false comments are discourteous - would you feel it a courtesy if I were to say something like "Acronis doesn't work" even if I later offered "because I can't get it to work the way I want it to work"? I doubt it.

Now YOU look at your immediate response -
"No It Does Not
When I try to run the full backup my C and E partitions are already checked and grayed out so that I can't uncheck either one. I can either run it like that or add D. That's all the options I have!"

That is STILL attempting to claim that Complete PC Backup doesn't work (because it doesn't offer you enough options) although both you and I and many others know for a fact that it does work (and work well).

Now, help forums are no place for arguments but they are indeed a place for correcting incorrect statements. Like you I prefer Acronis for the added bells and whistles but unlike you I will not make a factually incorrect statement that Vista's Complete PC Backup doesn't work just because it doesn't offer some options that I prefer.

Collapse -
What A Lively Debate (Argument)
by markcynt / March 23, 2008 10:20 AM PDT

Just So we can be perfecly clear. Yes, Vista Ultimate does work. Ok, I said it. Yes it does do a COMPLETE backup and restore. Ok, I said it. Did I make a mistake, yes. Mistakes however, are not discourteous.
It would only be discourteous if it was intentional. How would you know it was intentional? Does it suck, yes, that's not only my preference but my opinion and people give them in forum's all the time. Now I stated before that I had 3 partitions then in another post stated that I can either backup 2 at a time or all 3. Is that not the whole system? How is that attempting to claim it doesn't work? You stand by that "discourteous" statement because you are splitting hairs. How would I feel if someone said Acronis doesn't work and kept insisting on, it, (even though I didn't, but you feel I did because I titled a response "No It Does Not") however then stated that it did work? No, I would not feel anything. I see false statements all the time, but I realize that people make mistakes. I have proven people wrong who kept insisting they were right, but I never said they were discourteous. How could I? How could I know their intentions? So like you, I am indeed correcting false statements, statements made by you. You however, won't correct a false statement. You stand by your false statement.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.