Computer Help

General discussion

How do you delete documents in Wordpad

by captmoa / June 12, 2007 12:59 AM PDT

I'm running Win 2000pro. Office 2000. Saved a document to wordpad in text format and also saved it in word format. I want to get rid of the text one.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do you delete documents in Wordpad
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do you delete documents in Wordpad
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
captmoa
by tomron / June 12, 2007 1:58 AM PDT

Is this what you are looking for?

Inserting and deleting text
,or are you trying to delete the whole document?

Some time age I had the same question,LINK.Since this is a old thread it is slow loading,so I'm pasting the results if you have problems accessing it.

This is from Grif,"..and remember, that this isn't really your resume.... It's only a shortcut to it...First, you need to make sure you know exactly where your real resume file is..probably in "My Documents", so you can access it later..Find it and remember the location.

Next, after opening Word, click on "Tools", choose "Options", then the "General" tab, then UNCHECK the box next to "Recently Used Files List", then click on OK. When you now look at the "File" menu, ALL of the menu items will be gone...Now go back in and CHECK the box next to "Recently Used File List". Now close Microsoft Word and navigate to your "resume" file and double click on it. You should now be able to see the "correct" location of your resume in the "File" menu and it will be the only one listed there....until you open more Word documents. After opening more Word documents, they also will be placed in the "Recently Used Files" section of the "File"

Tom

Collapse -
Re: deleting a document
by Kees Bakker / June 12, 2007 6:31 AM PDT

Although it can be done from Wordpad, the usual way to delete a file is from My Computer or Windows Explorer. That's so usual, in fact, that I won't tell you how to do it from Wordpad, because that would be too confusing and error-prone.

Do you really mean to tell us that you don't know the very basics of file management (copying, moving, renaming and deleting files)? Or do I misunderstand you.

One other question: if you've got Office 2000 (and that includes Word 2000), why do you use Wordpad? There's nothing wrong with the programs, it's just that is rather unusual for people having Word to use Wordpad for creating and editing documents.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Kees

Collapse -
Deleting a document in wordpad.
by captmoa / June 12, 2007 7:11 AM PDT

I was using a third party program to produce a business contract and when I went to save it, it saved it in wordpad. No idea why. Yes, I do know some basics like: copying, cut & paste and such. But when I right click on the document in wordpad it won't let me do anything. I've "selected all" and deleted the text, but when I open the file I want, it still shows the saved blank document.

Collapse -
Sorry, I really don't understand what you did ...
by Kees Bakker / June 12, 2007 8:26 AM PDT

and what went wrong and what you want or need to do now to correct it.

Kees

Collapse -
Don't know why it happened
by captmoa / June 12, 2007 9:33 AM PDT

I was using "Family Lawyer 2002" to create a contract. When I clicked to save it, it saved it as a "text" document in wordpad. I don't know why!!! It didn't print like I wanted, so I went back and saved it again in a word format. Now it prints out fine. However, I want to delete the "text" document (not just the words). I tried select all and deleting, but all that did was eliminate the words. The document is still there in wordpad, but if I open it, it opens up blank.

Collapse -
Then, as I said, ...
by Kees Bakker / June 12, 2007 4:56 PM PDT

delete the file using My Computer or Windows Explorer. It seems you really miss that basic knowledge.

Kees

Collapse -
Just trying to learn something new
by captmoa / June 12, 2007 11:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Then, as I said, ...

I had already gone through My Computer and deleted the files. I wanted to remove them from the recently used list when wordpad opened. I tried the suggestion from Tom, but that only worked with the word documents and wordpad doesn't seem to have a tool drop box.
It's not a big deal, just something I was trying to learn.

As to the responses by Kees Bakker, as a moderator, if you can't give an answer without sarcasm or criticism: e.g.(It seems you really miss that basic knowledge.Do you really mean to tell us that you don't know the very basics of file management (copying, moving, renaming and deleting files)? Or do I misunderstand you.), I respectfully request that you not respond to any promblems I post.

Thanks for trying to help Tom.

Collapse -
Sorry, didn't mean to insult you.
by Kees Bakker / June 13, 2007 1:04 AM PDT

And as you request, I'll leave it to others to tell you how to clean the Most Recently Used (MRU) list Wordpad uses.

Kees

Collapse -
MRUs...
by John.Wilkinson / June 13, 2007 1:21 AM PDT

MRUs (Most Recently Used lists) can be deleted a number of ways, though I prefer just to run the free program CCleaner, which also cleans out the junk and temporary files that can accumulate on your hard drive. You can also delete individual items from the lists, but it's far easier to ignore the 'obsolete' listing.

I'd also like to note two things:
1.) The document opened in Wordpad because it is set as the default program to use when opening .txt (text) files. You can open it with whatever program you like, though, by right-clicking the file and choosing "Open With..." That will work on the file, but not necessarilly in MRUs.

2.) As you've now discovered, you can delete the text of a document, but the document still exists as a blank document. In order to get rid of it completely you must file the file on your computer and instead of opening it, drag it to the recycle bin, right-click and select delete, or select it and press the Delete key.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
'remove them from the recently used list' ...
by Edward ODaniel / June 13, 2007 1:20 PM PDT

Since that recent file list for wordPad is located in the registry, you would remove them from the list either by editing the registry of by opening new files until they are off the list.

the registry key you would edit is located at:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Applets\WordPad\Recent File List

Have fun!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.