TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

HOW do you DELAY the Optical Audio?

by rynknt / July 24, 2011 5:14 AM PDT

I was wondering what the CHEAPEST way to delay the optical audio would be? I have a PS3 plugged into my TV through HDMI and an optical audio cord plugged directly into my speakers (I don't have a receiver). The picture is a little slower than the audio because the TV takes a split second longer to render. My speakers ONLY have ONE digital optical input (and I am trying to achieve 5.1 surround sound).

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HOW do you DELAY the Optical Audio?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HOW do you DELAY the Optical Audio?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Cross posted.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 24, 2011 5:28 AM PDT

You have 2 open discussions in 2 Cnet forums.

Your best bet is some Onkyo system.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Doesn't Look Good
by octoberblue / January 6, 2012 8:48 AM PST

This is only indirectly related to your problem. But I feel your pain. Most people seem to be under the misguided impression that running optical out from their tv to their receiver does the trick. And yes, the audio is synched up that way. But if the input to the tv is hdmi, the optical audio out is NOT 5.1. A lot of people don't realize this because 5.1 most receivers, even old ones, automatically generate a simulated 5.1 signal from a stereo signal coming in. So they hear sound in their center channel and subwoofer, and think it is working. The audio IS synched, but the simulated 5.1 is WAY inferior to actual 5.1 digital signal.

Once you hear the real 5.1, the simulated substitute is so lame in comparison it's really hard to go back. The surround rear channels are especially affected by the simulated stuff, but the fronts are too, and the sub, all pretty badly. The rears are just about gone altogether in simulated mode though. So then you have to buy a receiver with hdmi inputs, when you had a pretty decent receiver already, and the one you buy passes through video and audio and if you get a cheap one the video can get really screwed up. Plus it's much more complicated to just listen through the tv speakers like most of us like to do in the morning, or with the kids cartoons, etc.

The really ridiculous thing about it all is that any tv with optical out is totally capable of sending the 5.1 signal through. (It doesn't have to decode it.) If the signal is coming through the TV's internal tuner instead of HDMI input, they will pass out a 5.1 signal from the optical (if the broadcast is in 5.1). But the kicker is, it is because of this stupid, paranoid, Digital Rights Management that they have to downgrade to 2.1 any audio coming from hdmi inputs!! I mean seriously, what do they think we are going to do? Use the 5.1 optical out to somehow "steal" the 5.1 soundtrack from a movie? How stupid are the people that think this stuff up? Sheesh! A cheap optical audio delay would be awesome solution. Unfortunately the only ones I've found are like at least four hundred bucks. (End Rant).

Collapse -
Spread the word!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 6, 2012 8:54 AM PST
In reply to: Doesn't Look Good

Thanks for that. Some thought I was making that story up.

All I can add is that there is an "exception" for OTA (over the air) for 5.1. And so far I'm hearing 2.0 and not 2.1.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.