Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

How do you create flush right dot leaders in Word?

by N.T.Gray / November 23, 2006 1:41 AM PST

Not the tab kind. The flush right kind. The help function only tells me how to do the tab kind.
In WordPerfect, it's easy. Just click on Format, Line, Flush Right with Dot Leaders.
How do you do the same thing in MS Word?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do you create flush right dot leaders in Word?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do you create flush right dot leaders in Word?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Thanks, but I found the "right" way.
by N.T.Gray / November 23, 2006 2:53 AM PST
In reply to: Links about.

Turns out you have to use the Tab style, but you set the tab type as Right, and then choose the dot leaders in front of it.

It's klunky, because (a) It doesn't calibrate off the right margin, so you have to manually tell it where to put that tab stop, and if later you should change your right margin you have to separately change the tab stop, and (b) once you've got the tab stop set there, you cannot type ordinary tabbed text into the document, as you might wish to do if you were creating, say, a program for a school Christmas play and wanted to indent some descriptive text (as Microsoft seems to prefer that you never do).

WordPerfect has a far better system. (Once again.)(Sigh.)

Collapse -
So why not stick to WP?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 23, 2006 3:07 AM PST

Many accept input in PDF form so I don't see why one would change. Then again I don't use Word but a varient called Open Office. Why? Check the price tag.

Collapse -
I always use WP (except when I can't)
by N.T.Gray / November 23, 2006 4:35 AM PST

For my business and my wife's online graduate class work, MS Word is the required medium. It's a Microsoft world. . .

But did I mention the other way my wife found to do a table of contents with dot leaders? Just create it the easy way in WP, then copy and paste it to Word. It works perfectly, and strangely enough, it almost takes less time than doing it the Word way.
(And it feels better. . .)

Collapse -
Re: table of contents with dot leaders
by Kees Bakker / November 23, 2006 9:31 PM PST

That's one of the default styles for tables of contents, in fact.

So I let Word generate it from the headers in the document. That takes a few seconds (which is far less than typing it in WP, I assume, if that's what you mean with 'create'), and it has an added advantage that the page numbers change when the document changes. Use styles the Word way to change font etc.

In Word, try: Insert>Indexes and Tables>Table of Contents and choose the defaults (which is: show pagenumbers, right alignment, dots). Change the number of levels shown if necessary (but I'm happy with 3, generally). Couldn't be easier, not even in WP, I'd say.

This, by the way, is Word 2000. In later version, the dialogue might be changed (it starts with Insert>References in Word 2003) . But the functionality surely is there.

Some help and information:

Hope this helps.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.