The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

How do you connect to the Internet from home?

by Marc Bennett CNET staff/forum admin / April 20, 2006 3:54 AM PDT

How do you connect to the Internet from home? Please tell us which ISP you use and if you're happy with it.

Dial-up modem
Cable modem
DSL/ADSL
ISDN
Satellite
I connect from library/work/school
Other (please tell us how you connect)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do you connect to the Internet from home?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do you connect to the Internet from home?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Cable...fastest available and at a reasonable price.
by John.Wilkinson / April 20, 2006 9:10 AM PDT
Collapse -
Cable
by crazeebob2000 / April 20, 2006 9:59 AM PDT

I like it best because it never drops the connection like DSL did.

Collapse -
Reasonable price?
by kenmarx / April 21, 2006 2:36 AM PDT

I love the speed and convenience of cable modem, but reasonable price? It's very expensive!

Collapse -
Yes, and available where DSL is not
by WaNana / April 21, 2006 9:46 AM PDT

My cable at a strange speed of 780 mbs is much cheaper than DSL. Plus...in a rural area where those DSL towers are very rare, cable sometimes is an opportunity. Not always, however, and then dial-up is our only recourse. When cable came by most of us signed up, just for the interent. We have satellites for TV!

Collapse -
Cox has been good for me
by Mark_Albert / April 26, 2006 11:59 AM PDT

I have had Cox Cable for 2 or 3 years now, and I have been very pleased with the service once I got it running. I had heard very negative things about Cox, but it was what was available in my neighborhood. (No DSL, despite the fact that I live in Herndon, VA, which bills itself as home of the internet!) I didn't particularly want to get cable because I don't watch much TV, but now I wouldn't want to live without my Cox internet accesss and my Cox-supplied Scientific Atlanta DVR

I had a few missteps getting the cable installed and running, but once they got it up, service has been fantastic.

Collapse -
(NT) Via Cox Cable
by jayfin / April 20, 2006 12:07 PM PDT

I think that they are the very best. If I ever have a problem they are always right there to straighten me out. Almost always the problems are not of their origin. Back around the year 2000 I had the opportunity of having both DSl and Cable at the same time. One on each computer. I was living In Hilo Hawaii at the time. The DSL was the most consistent as far as speed was concerned. My cable was all over the place from speeds less than my dial up modem to those above DSL. With DSL I had signed up for 1500 kbps? but never got more than 350 whereas cable went anywhere from 25 to 800 kbps. Once the Cable company got a new T-1 line in they were able to maintain speeds well above anything that DSL could match. Now just before sending this message, I checked my speed and this is what CNET Monitor said: 1500.6 kbps. I am very satisfied with this connection speed.

Collapse -
I have cable and i love it.
by skizz / April 20, 2006 12:47 PM PDT

once i switched from dial-up to cable, i swore i would never switch back. i am with CableOne and they are great. i have a package deal with TV and Internet. always there when i have a problem.

Collapse -
Dial-up
by indigoaven / April 20, 2006 2:04 PM PDT

I have Netzero, I would like to get Verizon DSL but it isn't available in the country. I could get satellite but it's very exspensive. So I'm stuck with Dial-up.

Collapse -
Dial up....
by Bad Tom / April 21, 2006 12:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Dial-up

Am in the same sinking boat..Was promised DSL by Verizon, but on the install day, they backed out and told me to send modem back! Can't get cable either and satellite is too expensive..Am using Allvantage for dial up..Works good..Very happy..Only $8.95 a month for high-speed..You are permitted 10 hours a day..

Collapse -
Verizon DSL vs us country dwellers
by indigoaven / April 21, 2006 6:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Dial up....

Did Verizon give you a reason why they backed out of the installion? Do you live in a rural part of your state? I'm in the rural (country) and my only choices for internet connections are Netzero or HughesNet satillite. I have the 3G with Netzero and it's not to bad. Although it can be slow as I only have 3 access numbers to use.Right now I'm only paying $9.95 until August, then it's $14.95 unlimited. Right now I'm satified I guess!

Collapse -
dial-up
by moonchild.thepusher / May 23, 2006 10:38 PM PDT

wow I'm really getting shafted here...I use bell for dial-up and we pay like 20 bucks a month.. plus the service is terrible and impossible to rely on. If I could get dsl I would but like the others it's not available in my area but of course bell keeps telling "it will be available soon". It's been four years of them telling us this and still we are left with the ever-so-slow dial-up. Whats your speed like for netzero? I usually get 46.6kbps up to 48.0kbps but can also go all the way down to 28.8kbps

Collapse -
Moonchild
by swathingscientist / May 24, 2006 4:08 AM PDT
In reply to: dial-up

You don't say where you are,no profile,nada.What/which Bell you with?.Maybe help if know more,thx
SS

Collapse -
MY ISP
by kmrm / April 21, 2006 8:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Dial up....

I have used MetConnect free dial-up for years and only experienced a major problem once. I have no problems with them. In case anyone is interesed the number is 212-359-2000. It is only for NYC though.Ciao!

Collapse -
I have a 56K Modem as Dial-up but it would depend on usage +
by DarCLew2 / April 21, 2006 7:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Dial-up

financial factors, what it is used for, etc. I was a heavy user until late last tear but that has changed. My ISP is America Online 9.0 Optimized SE (not the security edition) and I pay 19.95 a month for unlimited use. I am both elderly and disabled and have a fixed income and am below the standard of living for finances. I was doing genealogy in Sweden.
The modem was purchased when I had peoplepc.com and was getting many dropped connections and I thought it might have had to do with the red owl modem. It definitely needed to be updated for I had win98/win98se and upgraded to winme but the problem still was there so I switched to www.aol.com since the brand new US Robotics modem was still happening with peoplepc.com and the change said it all - no more broken connections.
With genealogy, the only problem I had was with rootsweb.com on aol. I didn't know swedish but I have learned a great deal since 1999. It has gotten the interest of my cousins who had no interest at all in CA . My aunt had given up after 30 years of research when I found the correct spelling of my swedish ancestors. I had another real tough one to find, Henry F. Lewis who said he was born in OH and was a son of indian chief. He was wrong on both counts. He was born in 1845 in Stockton, Rooks, KS but his parents were NY born who married in OH in 1844. This was a 50 yr mystery that has finally been straightened out. So, it is not necessary for to get faster speeds for this, I would have missed some valuable information. Darrell

Collapse -
Cable, thank you very much.
by Project3 / April 20, 2006 6:43 PM PDT

I connect through Time/Warner cable (Roadrunner) and am very happy with their service.

Okay, I just went away and ran a bandwidth test (did you miss me?) and got a connection speed of 2106.4 kbps.

Yup, I'm happy with the service.

John

Collapse -
Bandwidth test
by morninglory / April 20, 2006 10:53 PM PDT

John, how do you run a bandwidth test? I have cable through TimeWarner (roadrunner).

Betsy

Collapse -
Link
by qwondre / April 21, 2006 12:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Bandwidth test
Collapse -
Bandwidth Test
by morninglory / April 21, 2006 7:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Link

Thanks Link, my test results show 1475.6. Good enough for me.

Betsy

Collapse -
Verizon DSL bandwidth
by aliensquirl / April 21, 2006 8:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Link

Verizon DSL in Baltimore County, MD just measured 1684.6 Kbps on the bandwidth meter. It usually runs 1600-1800, sometimes just a little faster. Good enough for me!

Collapse -
Cable/modem
by gusward / April 20, 2006 6:54 PM PDT

Cable/modem XS4All a very good reliable Dutch company, here in Holland.

Collapse -
Optimum Online
by hvsteve1 / April 21, 2006 3:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Cable/modem

I have Cablevision's Optimum Online. My speed test is 13.7 mbs. If I wanted to pay extra, I could have close to 30 mbs. I'm happy.

Collapse -
Optimum Online through Cablevision is great!
by eagle0 / April 21, 2006 5:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Optimum Online

I've been the Dial-up and DSL route and between slow connect rates and lost connections I was fed up. I went with Cablevision's Optimum Online service about 4 years ago and I've only had 1 day that my service was down and they had a Dial-up backup service that I could use in emergency.

I'm very pleased with their fast download speeds and I've even gone the VoIP route with them at a discount since I had a Family Package Cablevion plan. Great service and decent price plans when all services are combined.

Collapse -
Charter Cable 5meg/sec
by Stupid Registration / April 20, 2006 7:10 PM PDT

Generally OK but they "packet count" and tend to slow down your downloads if they want to limit your bandwidth use. Doesn't seem fair for the price they charge!!

Collapse -
How do you connect to the Internet from home?
by craigy1012000 / April 20, 2006 7:39 PM PDT

NTL: Three in one, Broadband (1mb),Telephone and Television services all for

Collapse -
cable modem & wireless router
by cmcdonn / April 20, 2006 7:58 PM PDT

We use Airport and a cable modem for 4 computers all over the house -- this technology rocks, especially for laptops. Even when the cable goes out occasionally -- it is usually no problem to reset. The freedom and speed are life changing.

Collapse -
Life changing? must be a sad life. do you not get out much?
by jahova / April 20, 2006 8:40 PM PDT

are you one of those people who spend life playing games at pogo.com and adding to their tally of 50 million tokens????????????

Collapse -
If you've ever had dial up...
by Don Dorland / April 21, 2006 3:54 AM PDT

Dial up, which was all that was available to me for quite awhile, vs. Cable is somewhat life changing. If you've ever tried downloading and printing a 45 - 60 page manual with dial up...your patience runs REALLY thin when your ISP drops your connection umpteen times thru the download. The amount of time wasted was/is intolerable, and unacceptable. Even a puny sized download took forever with dial up. I'm not a "gamer," but cable's increased speed certainly made my life less stressfull, and my business on-line could be conducted much more effiently.

Collapse -
cable (NTL)
by jahova / April 20, 2006 8:33 PM PDT

I used to think it was lightening when i first got it, but now i think it could do better, its probably my imagination but it seems to go in fits and bursts one minute it loads a page slower than the most crackley phone line, then it downloads something from a server it gets on with and averages 245kbs. One thing is for sure its 10 times better than the aol cable broadband service provided on the same ntl cables but half the speed even though rated the same. and unless they have sorted it out home networking with aols software is a nightmare. even aols' cable seemed to go quicker than the couple of dsl connections i have tried. Although i refuse to say anything complementary about ntl they do seem to be the best of the bunch available here, even if the menu/guide on their cable tv is so slow its quicker to go buy a paper; and if you want to telephone them for any reason other than to give your bank details as a new customer then you better leave at least 2 hours for your call. i rang them earlier today to get them to put caller id on my phone (which the cheeky ******** charged me 1.75 pcm for) and was queued for over 40 mins listening to some ******** recorded message 10 times over which was lying about their "netguard" software being worth

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) ISP=COX cable. Expensive but happy
by iml / April 20, 2006 8:44 PM PDT
Collapse -
how do you connect to the internet (ADSL) and which provider
by Ron Schroeder / April 20, 2006 9:00 PM PDT

ADSL and we use NEXBAND which is basically our local phone company. We have been very happy with it. We have Comcast at our 2nd home and while we have had good service from Comcast we have had MULTIPLE PROBLEMS with trying to send out emails to our contact list using Nexband to our Comcast friends. I have personally been "blacklisted" from Comcast (from my ADSL acct) several times over the last 6 mo and it is extremely frustrating! I realize that Comcast is trying to address safety concerns by doing this but it still drives me crazy.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.