Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

How do you actually use wifi dual band simultaneously?

by ReeBee3 / October 9, 2009 3:40 AM PDT

I have just bought a D-Link dir-825 dual band wireless router after reading reviews that it can simultaneously use both the 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz connections and is intelligent enough to pick which band to use for which process.

Having set it up however I am left with two seperate networks, one for the 2.4ghz and one for the 5ghz. I want to be able to have the two bands running simultaneously on the same network so the router can do its job and pick which one to use and so I don't have to keep switching networks. How do I get it to do this? I've searched and searched for a solution to this and have had no luck. How do I make use of the D-link's dual band 'intelligent' technology? Do I need to upgrade to a dual band wifi adapter or do I need to try and combine the two networks somehow or something completely different?

Thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do you actually use wifi dual band simultaneously?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do you actually use wifi dual band simultaneously?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Do you have . . .
by Coryphaeus / October 9, 2009 6:59 AM PDT

a dual band wireless NIC? I've never seen one.

Collapse -
Re: Do you have...
by ReeBee3 / October 9, 2009 7:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Do you have . . .

No I don't but I'm pretty sure you can buy them (but don't want to unless necessary)

Collapse -
Purpose
by samkh / October 9, 2009 12:28 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Do you have...

of the 825 is to offer you simultaneous dual-band from one AP, not for you to achieve connection to the client using both bands. You can have separate clients, each operating on one of the bands.

Collapse -
Re: Purpose
by ReeBee3 / October 9, 2009 9:34 PM PDT
In reply to: Purpose

but if that is the case why does all the info talk about it fitting seamlessly into your 'network'... not creating two entirely different networks that you have to log in and out of. Doesn't seem like smart technology if I'm spending my time scratching my head trying to decide which network I should log into as I do different things.

The reviews all kind of say the same thing...

"The combination of Gigabit Ethernet and 802.11n technology helps make the unit a good performer and promises the ability to stream high-definition video and high-quality audio. High-bandwidth applications such as those are further enhanced by the implementation of QOS (quality of service) technology, which prioritizes traffic. D-Link's QOS goes one step further by segmenting wireless traffic, offering high-bandwidth applications over 802.11a, while relegating slower traffic to 802.11g. A nifty feature if one can use it?after all, it does require wireless clients to have support for both 802.11a and 802.11g"

Surely this implies that the router determines which bandwidth each application needs, not the user... but in order to do that you need to have both wireless bands accessable so the router can decide, something that can't happen if you're logged into one and not the other? And if this is not the case, how do I know which one to log into?

Collapse -
Wireless NICs
by samkh / October 10, 2009 12:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Purpose

with a/g/n can switch automatically (2.4 or 5) based on the 825 QOS. They cannot simultaneously connect to achieve higher transfer speeds using both bands. You don't have to login/out once you make the wireless connections (ie. select SSIDs) and set up passphrases since the router decides which band to use. btw, n is also capable of 2.4 or 5 and newest dual-band routers use n exclusively to give you added benefit of MIMO which is not available on 11a.

Collapse -
Re:
by ReeBee3 / October 10, 2009 3:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Wireless NICs

Sorry I didn't mean to imply that it would connect at the same time to get faster speeds, I'm just confused how say it could connect to the 5ghz channel when the network I'm on is only 2.4ghz (if I pick that one to connect to). I could understand if both the channels were availible on the same network (so you connect and then it can pick and choose) but it created two different networks for each speed and I can't connect to both at the same time which I would think would mean that the router couldn't either otherwise what's the point of the two different networks being created?!

Collapse -
Let me share my setup.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 10, 2009 3:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:

I have this setup per post 18 in the sticky of this forum.

cable modem -> wifi router 1 -> ethernet cable -> wifi router 2

Why this works just like your dual band is simple but let me tell WHY?

Wifi air space is SHARED SPACE. Only one device can send at a time and so when you have streaming content it can cause others to complain. So with dual band and a setup like mine I can connect to router 1 or 2 to the TV system and it has its own wifi dedicated to it's service. Then other computers use the other wifi.

It's all about shared air space. And as diving any deeper is going to be an IT Classroom I'll stop here.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.