TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

HOW DO IT connect 2 HDMI inputs to my TV w/ only 1 HDMI port

by KarenStanley / May 13, 2010 5:51 PM PDT

I have a Sony Bravia,fairly new TV but it was apparently built with only 1 HDMI input-- which is used to hook up to my COMCAST CABLE BOX & Sony Blue Ray player is in the mix as well.

I want to project shows from hulu or other websites to my TV but VGA hook up gives me no sound (of course) SO if I could get a hub that would enable the video and audio imput from my laptop to flow thru and HDMI cable to a "hub or swtich" that would enable me to toggle from teh two HDMI cable inputs-- I think I'd died and gone to heaven.

So what exactly do I need?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HOW DO IT connect 2 HDMI inputs to my TV w/ only 1 HDMI port
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HOW DO IT connect 2 HDMI inputs to my TV w/ only 1 HDMI port
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Google HDMI switch
by Coryphaeus / May 14, 2010 12:05 AM PDT
Collapse -
hdmi switch box is an option, but...
by ahtoi / May 14, 2010 12:17 AM PDT

I am pretty certain there are other connections on that TV you could use.

Collapse -
Agreed. Use component cables or get a get a HDMI switch box
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / May 14, 2010 5:10 AM PDT
Collapse -
Good advice, thanks...need validation on one point though...
by pma9542 / December 30, 2011 2:12 PM PST

My Bravia KDL40V3000 TV has only 2 HDMI ports, and one is not functioning. I'm thinking $12 for a switch box might be better than getting a repairman out here. Anyone though have any better advice? Please use very elementary terms;-).

Collapse -
A less spendy HDMI 1.3 compliant bi-directional switch.
Collapse -
Just Curious...
by Flatworm / May 14, 2010 11:41 PM PDT

What "recent" model of Sony Bravia television did you purchase that has only a single HDMI port? I am unfamiliar with such a model and I keep up pretty well with Sony's product line. Even my (relatively speaking) ancient XBR4 has three. Almost all of their (and most other manufacturers' as well) sets of any size built after mine (which I obtained in November, 2007) have four HDMI ports, and I don't know of any make or model that has fewer than three.

We are talking about a "television" here, right, with a tuner and everything, and not a computer monitor (I don't think there's any such thing as a "Sony Bravia Computer Monitor").

Perhaps you should look on the back and side panels of your television more closely.

Collapse -
Sony Bravia-- how many HDMI ports
by KarenStanley / May 15, 2010 10:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Just Curious...

Well-- I'm finding one on the left side of the back and not more-- where might I be missing them? I did get one of the first models out. about 4 years ago---??

Collapse -
But what model, specifically?
by Dan Filice / May 16, 2010 1:41 AM PDT

Can you tell us the specific Sony model that you have? I have a Sony WEGA that was pre-Bravia, and it has only one HDMI input on the side, and this WEGA was an early 2006 TV.

Collapse -
Sony Grand Wega
by joetqm / January 5, 2012 8:00 AM PST

I have model kdf-e55a20, I can only find one hdmi input. I was going to buy a splitter, or a switcher.

Thank you for your help.

Joe T

Collapse -
(NT) Usually we get a switch
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 5, 2012 8:02 AM PST
In reply to: Sony Grand Wega
Collapse -
look on the back
by porsche10x / May 18, 2010 4:09 AM PDT

While most sets have at least three, and later ones, four HDMI inputs, they usually have only one on the side, but two or three on the back. Look more closely (or read the manual!).

Also, if your only objection to using the VGA input is the lack of sound, there should be a separate audio input on the TV to connect the computer's audio which will work when the VGA connection is used. Just add an audio cable with the correct connectors or adapters on it.

Collapse -
Number of HDMI Inputs
by Dan Filice / May 18, 2010 10:45 AM PDT
In reply to: look on the back

My older Sony WEGA TV only has ONE HDMI input, which is on the side. It is a late 2005 model. On the rear inputs, it only has Component and S-Video and Composite inputs. As strange as it seems, it only has one HDMI input. The OP has a Bravia model, which in fact might have more than one HDMI input, so your suggestion is valid about looking at the back inputs rather than just the side inputs. If her TV does only have only one HDMI input, I would suggest using the HDMI for her Blu-Ray player and using Component for the Cable box, which will deliver 1080i and 720p. It would be more important to have 1080p for the BR player. just my 2-cents.

Collapse -
Component from Cable Box
by FaithfulSinner / May 20, 2010 1:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Number of HDMI Inputs

This post has a good suggestion. Component cables from your cable box to your TV will transmit the same signal quality as HDMI because the max resolution a TV broadcast channel will output is 1080i or 720p. That frees up one HDMI.
Now if you wanted to convert VGA and Audio to HDMI, I know Comprehensive sells this item that will do just that. You just have to be willing to spend a few hundred dollars and you will still need the HDMI switcher as noted in above posts. Here is the VGA to HDMi converter:

Collapse -
Sonia Bravia with only one HDMI input
by alineese / December 27, 2011 2:09 AM PST
In reply to: Just Curious...

I have the Sony Bravia KDL-46S2010 and it only has one HDMI input. It was manufactured in Sept 2006.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.