Computer Help

General discussion

How do I write files onto a DVD-R?

by n510310ltbc-20015488994130598345110232761494 / November 16, 2004 4:20 PM PST

Hi, I need some help on how to put files onto a DVD.

I have some files of a series of TV shows, which my friend gave me. Actually, she gave me the disk which contains the files, but I would need to give it to her soon, so I copied the files to my desktop...

I have empty DVD-Rs which is 1-4X MultiSpeed and 4.7GB/120min. How do I write those file onto the disk?

Also, I am using Windows XP Home Edition, with SP2.

Thanks a lot!
N.S

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I write files onto a DVD-R?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I write files onto a DVD-R?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: How do I write files onto a DVD-R?
by TONI H / November 16, 2004 7:36 PM PST

You should already have some type of burning software installed such as EZCD Creator or Nero or somesuch...

If you are planning to write to the DVD as movie files so you can view them in your dvd player or on your computer using Windows Media Player as your DVD viewer, then you would open the burning software and create a DVD movie type of file.

If you only want to burn those files as data to a DVD in order to save them as files only, you would open the burner program and set it as a DATA disk instead. You won't be able to view the movies from that cd, but you will have them saved as files only, but you would still be able to view them from your desktop by clicking them and having Media Player or whatever you use open up and play them on your desktop window instead.

I normally burn my movies to a dvd type cd so that I can play them in my dvd player in the livingroom, then burn the file(s) again as a DATA cd (you can get a number of movies onto the cd that way) so I always have the files, and then I delete the files from my harddrive. If I ever need to make a new copy of a movie because my cd has gone bad, I bring out the DATA cd, copy that movie back to my harddrive, and then burn a new movie DVD from that file on the harddrive again.

TONI

Collapse -
by Roadjockey / November 19, 2004 5:18 AM PST

Toni,
I was reading on your report on how to write files on DVD-R.I am using Nero 6 ultra and when I do this I can only get one movie on a 4.7 gig disk.Please explain how you are able to get several movie files on one DVD-R disk.
Regards,
Randy
rhurak@cogeco.ca

Collapse -
by TONI H / November 19, 2004 5:39 AM PST

I also only get one actual movie on one media disk.......I meant that if you have several movies on your harddrive, you can put a number of them onto one 4.7GB dvd media as DATA files only. This way you can bring that file back to your harddrive should your actual burned movie cd fail later on. The DATA cd is strictly to preserve the original .avi or .mpg FILE as a backup.

TONI

Collapse -
DVD-R burning
by jsieg / December 26, 2006 3:17 PM PST

I am trying to use Nero to burn the movie Step Up on a DVD-R 120min 1-16X speed cd. Under Nero i clicked create my own dvd. I click burn and it says i have exceeded the capacity of the cd, buy DVD 9 cds, how do i end up burning it onto a cd then? pleeeease help!

Collapse -
You've Posted Your Question To a TWO YEAR OLD Thread..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 27, 2006 2:54 AM PST
In reply to: DVD-R burning

Please repost your question as a new topic on the main page of the forum. When you do so, please explain clear what you're trying to do.. You mix the terms CD and DVD incorrectly.. Are you actually trying to burn a DVD to a CD or are you trying to burn a DVD movie to a DVD-R disc?

Some other things to be considered though...

In addition, where did you get the "Step Up" movie? Since it sounds like a recently released copyrighted movie, did you download it from the internet? Attempt to copy it from a commmercial DVD?

If the movie is a copyrighted movie, our forum policies against piracy prevent us from helping you make illegal copies of such movies. In addition, if you have a recent version of Nero, it will eventually prevent you from making a copy of the commercially copyrighted DVD.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
dvd 1.16x
by MAHNY / September 10, 2011 5:30 AM PDT
In reply to: DVD-R burning

hi
i want to write dvd but do,nt know i which {x} i can write dvd.
give me tha sugesstion. on 1.16 x , 8.x or 4.x.

Collapse -
Re: burning dvd
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 10, 2011 5:40 AM PDT
In reply to: dvd 1.16x

Depends on both the burner and the disk if 1x, 2x, 4x, 8x or 16x is feasible. Trust your burning program and choose what it proposes. If it fails, half it.

Kees

Collapse -
CD and DVD drives
by maryamer / April 7, 2005 7:01 PM PDT

I have an HP Pavilion AMD Athlon XP 1900 (HP Model 360N) which was 3 years old on March 16, 2005. It had an "HP CD-writer" and a "dvd-rom" in the first and second drives. I removed (with help) the "dvd-rom" drive and replaced it with a Micro Advantage "Superdrive DVD +/- RW DVD & CD Rewritable Drive" Model 4DVDRW-B13. Specs state there is no need to choose between competing DVD recording formats.

I have a DVD+R of a movie of a wedding taken by the uncle of the bride. I want to make a copy of the DVD for my own use, but I don't know where to begin.

I tried putting the original DVD in my top drive (HP CD-writer) and a blank DVD (DVD+R) in the "dvd-rom" drive which now has the Micro Advantage drive in it. This did not work. Can anyone give me blow-by-blow directions?

The Micro Advantage drive came with Roxio CD & DVD Creator 6 and Roxio Photosuite 5. I also have an AVerMedia DVD EZ Maker PCI which "will turn home videos into DVDs." All components and software were installed.

I am so afraid of ruining the original DVD because I borrowed it from the uncle. Can anyone help me? Thank you!!!!

Scared Mary!

Collapse -
To duplicate such a DVD...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 7, 2005 9:32 PM PDT
In reply to: CD and DVD drives

I have no less than 2 methods.

1. Use CDBurnerXP to make an .ISO of the DVD to your hard disk, then use CDBurnerXP to write that .ISO to your blank DVD-R media.

2. Use DVDSHRINK (use google.com to find these programs) to duplicate that DVD. It won't bother to shrink it since it will just fit fine.

Bob

Collapse -
CD and DVD drives - To duplicate such a DVD
by maryamer / April 12, 2005 9:36 PM PDT

This is the first time I have used a forum. I could not find my question for a few days b/c I didn't know where to look.
I don't understand CDBurnerXP or DVDSHRINK. I am assuming that you meant these are programs that I can find these on google.
Also,I don't know what and .ISO is.
My most important question: Would I use the same drive to copy the original DVD and to write it to a blank DVD-R?

It appears to me that that is what you are saying. I just don't want to ruin the borrowed DVD.

Thanks for your help and clarification.

Mary (I'm still scared!)

Collapse -
copying DVD
by jayso / June 18, 2005 8:23 AM PDT
In reply to: CD and DVD drives

if you mean it burned ok and would not play in a DVD player, you have to use DVD-R media to be able to watch it on a DVD player. Also all you have to do is copy the DVD to your hard drive...put it in my documents/my movies..make a new folder in my documents first if there isn't one already there. Take the borrowed DVD out of the computer and it will be safe.. Then use roxio to burn to DVD-R by brousing to the my movie folder. hope this helps.

Collapse -
Put Divx files onto DVD-R
by moo947 / January 22, 2008 5:16 AM PST

I have a few questions.

I have a 4.7GB DVD+R disc, and I want to but files on it so that I can watch them in a DVD plyer. Can I do this?

Would I just put the DVD+R disc in my computer CD slot?

I have windows xp home edition and a Dell Dimension 4600 computer.

What FREE programs could i use to do this. PLease walk me tgrough step by step.

Collapse -
Hint -> DVD FLICK
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 22, 2008 5:24 AM PST

Found with google, not much to write about here since it has pages on how to use it.

Collapse -
Do You Have A DVD Burner On The Computer?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 22, 2008 6:36 AM PST

A CD burner or a DVD Rom won't be able to burn a DVD. Since the DVD/RW drive was an option and costs extra on that machine, I'm just asking to make sure.. Unfortunately, since you mentioned placing the DVD+R in the "CD slot", it's not clear as to the hardware your computer has on it.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
playing DivX files
by laszlopapas / April 9, 2008 10:07 PM PDT

Toni, I have a Philips DVP 5980 that is able to playback DivX and other similar files on my TV screen. A few months ago I made several disks with DIVX files (3-4 such movie files would fit on each disk as data) but cannot recall what software I used to make them. They played perfectly on the DVP. Now, I put data files on the same kind of DVD+R disk and when I try to play it, the player says: UNKNOWN DISK. Do you know what's going on? If I put in one of the old disks it plays perfectly.

Collapse -
copy file to DVD-R
by jc_lance / July 23, 2008 6:06 PM PDT

I had burned a file in a dvd format and save it to my computer, I want to copy it to a DVD-R 4.7G 1x-16x so I can watch the movie. Please help me how to do it. Thank you so much in advance.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 16, 2004 9:11 PM PST

If I can share how I write DVD-R, maybe we can find something you can use?

1. CDBurnerXP.

Since Windows XP doesn't natively have DVD file recording capability, I use a free piece of software from http://www.cdburnerxp.se/

With this, you can record this files to DVD-R. If I were you, I'd practice with a DVD-R/W disk.

-> Does not make a VIDEO DVD.

2. Ulead and other Video DVD creation software.

DVD is not strictly a video media. DVD stands for Digital Versatile Disc, but http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#1.1 shows that I could be wrong about the acronym. But it doesn't matter.

To make a video DVD, you need to use DVD video creation software. My DVD recorders came with Ulead, MyDVD and other so those will do nicely. Since such is too specific to your software, I'm going to simply write that you use that software to create a DVD that plays in your DVD player on the TV.

Bob

Collapse -
How to write a dvd
by pranavika / June 3, 2008 9:33 PM PDT

Hi,
I need some help on how to put files onto a DVD.

I have some files of a series of TV shows. Actually, i have them on my desktop...,now i want to write those files to the dvd and empty my desktop space .

I have empty DVD-Rs which is 1-4X MultiSpeed and 4.7GB/120min. How do I write those file onto the disk?

I have Windows XP laptop with DVD RW ,so please tell how shld write those movies to the dvd.
Thanks in advance

Collapse -
What burning software did come with your writer?
by Kees Bakker / June 3, 2008 9:36 PM PDT
In reply to: How to write a dvd

You could use that. But be sure it lets you write the movie in a format that can be read wherever you want to read it (PC, Mac, stand-alone DVD-player).

If you tell what software you have, what's the format of the video files and where you want to view it, somebody might be able to give a more specific advice.

Kees

Collapse -
how to write files to dvd
by pranavika / June 3, 2008 9:40 PM PDT

hi
i have some flv and avi file formats.
i wish to watch them mostly on my system .
so now what software will help me writing those files to the dvd

Collapse -
Same as above.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 4, 2008 2:38 AM PDT

I already answered your question above. But let me share what else you should type at google.

DVD FLICK

Collapse -
how to write movies to dvd
by pranavika / June 4, 2008 9:47 PM PDT
In reply to: Same as above.

Hi,
I have already downloaded DVD FLICK ,can u please tell me if i can write the dvd as date dvd.
Because yesterday i tried adding a long list of clips at a moment ,but then i have seen the size has actually exceeded the limit.
so i dint dare to write it.
Sorry for troubling ,but can u please tell me how should i use DVD flick burn and write the files to (avi,flv,rm) to the dvd.

Thanks in advance

Collapse -
Typo? "date DVD"?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 5, 2008 1:26 AM PDT

I think you meant DATA DVD. CDBURNERXP does data DVDs just fine. I won't duplicate how to use said title here.
Bob

Collapse -
by Yew / November 16, 2004 10:10 PM PST

Suppose it should also be mentioned that you need a DVD burner. A CD burner won't cut it, nor will a DVD-ROM.

Collapse -
by pixman / November 18, 2004 11:00 PM PST

Spend some cash on Roxio 7 or Nero 6. I love the Nero. Ain't much it won't do. I've used it to backup extensive files, make movie discs, slide shows, etc.
Got mine in a bundle with my DVD burner. Cool stuff!

Collapse -
by saeb / November 19, 2004 10:58 AM PST

Okay, I'm confused. I have dvd-rom and cd writer drives .my question is 'can I burn to a dvd', if not, what do I need to do, or purchase? thanks

Collapse -
by ChuckT / November 19, 2004 12:42 PM PST

Re: "I have dvd-rom and cd writer drives. My question is 'can I burn to a dvd', if not, what do I need to do, or purchase?"

DVD-ROM, ROM means Read Only Memory. You can't expect to write on Read Only. To write you need a DVD-Writer or a DVD-R/W (Read/Writer).
Of the writers there are 2 basic types - and +, and there are some more expensive types that can do both.

A CD and A DVD do look alike. But they are vastly different. A DVD has 5 to 20 times more capacity than a CD. Essentially it is sort of "finer groves" (not actually groves, but the idea is similar).

Right now you can get, from TigerDirect.com, a "Famous Brand" 16x4x16x Dual Layer DVD

Collapse -
by saeb / November 26, 2004 12:05 PM PST

thanks for the clarifying.

Collapse -
Is there a solution.
by annebritten / July 31, 2008 11:46 PM PDT

I have a Dell Inspiron 1150 laptop. I would like to know if there is a program I can purchase to download in my pc to copy video files,(eg. off downloaded videos on RealPlayer),onto a DVD disc? My operation System is Windows Xp Service Pack 2. Model Intel(R), 4CPU 2.80 GHz, 2.80mGHz, 512MB of Ram. Hard Drives - only DVD/CD-ROM Drives. It only reads DVD's, but will write CD'S. So what I understand it does not come eqipped with internally to write videos.I have had this laptop for almost 4 yrs, and it has served me well, but I would like to be able to copy some videos for teaching purposes for our group at the church. A friend of mine has this capability on their pc so they have given me Dvd's they have copied off their files and I use them on my pc. I would like to do the same without having to buy another computer. Can you help me. One would think in this day of technology this would be possible. I would appreciate your help.

Collapse -
Did you try DVD FLICK?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 1, 2008 12:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Is there a solution.

That may help you make DVDs that play on DVD players.

But as you suspect you still need a DVD RECORDER. In your case the USB 2.0 Externals are a fine solution.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.