Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

How do I wipe my laptop clean???

by kippsgirl / January 4, 2009 7:21 AM PST

Last year I had a virus on my desktop, and a friend wiped it clean and reloaded all (including operating system, etc.). The computer ran SO MUCH faster and better.

I am interested in doing the same thing to my laptop which is an HP Pavillion ze4900 with Windows XP Pro operating system. It is running at snail speed, and we hardly have any files on it. We have tried defraging and that does not help very much at all.

Can someone tell me the steps that I need to take to wipe clean and then reload? Anyone know if this info is printed somewhere (for the somewhat literate computer user)?

Thanks so much!
Sandy

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I wipe my laptop clean???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I wipe my laptop clean???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The laptop either came with recovery media or
by Steven Haninger / January 4, 2009 7:57 AM PST

had the ability to create it if it has a CD burner. That's what you need. You said it was last done by a friend. That person would have needed the same media to rebuild your laptop properly and legally. Without such, you might contact HP to see if recovery disks are still available for purchase. If not, you would have to buy a copy of XP and hunt down all the drivers for the laptop hardware. Can you locate the recovery disks?

Collapse -
Wiping computer clean and reloading
by kippsgirl / January 5, 2009 5:42 AM PST

Thanks for you help! These are the disks I have:
Application and Driver Recovery DVD
Operating System CD - Windows XP Home SP2

What else do I need?
Thank again,
Sandy

Collapse -
In addition ...
by kippsgirl / January 5, 2009 5:46 AM PST

just for clarity, the computer that my friend worked on was my desktop ... this is a laptop, which has never had this done to it.

Collapse -
Looks like you have all you need except for maybe these
by Steven Haninger / January 5, 2009 5:49 AM PST
instructions which I've linked to. The index has you look at page 6-29, I believe. You're on your own. Good luck.
Collapse -
I went to your link, but not sure where to go from there.
by kippsgirl / January 5, 2009 6:31 AM PST

I checked out a few PDFs on that page, but nothing that I could see that would direct me to this process. Help?
Thanks!
Sandy

Collapse -
It's in the reference guide
by Steven Haninger / January 5, 2009 7:37 AM PST

6-29 means chapter 6 and page 29. I can't link directly to the page because it's in the PDF file and not written in HTML.

Collapse -
So that is reinstalling the OS, but what about wiping the
by kippsgirl / January 6, 2009 6:41 AM PST

computer clean? I guess I am less sophisticated about how to do all this than you thought! Wink I need those step by steps first, then how to reload. Do you have that info?
Thanks

Collapse -
It will delete ...
by Kees Bakker / January 6, 2009 6:43 AM PST

all current contents of your disk. That can be called wiping.

Kees

Collapse -
As Kees says and I will add
by Steven Haninger / January 6, 2009 9:25 AM PST

that it sounds as if your real goal is a clean installation and not just to have an empty drive. You are looking to restore system performance which has degraded over time. The recovery process will accomplish both. It will remove everything. This means the original installation and all that you have accumulated over time. It will bring the PC back to the factory configuration. Once in this condition, you will have plenty more to do as all of the windows updates that were available after that recovery disk was created will also be gone. You will need to go through the update process for the operating system and quite possibly some of the drivers. MS will provide the OS updates and the PCs manufacturer should have any driver updates. There are possibly some other ways to boost performance. One way might be to increase the amount of RAM. Another is definitely to reduce the number processes that automatically load at startup. That's another story for another day. Good luck to you. This is how you learn...not by being walked through step by step but by getting pointed in the right direction and then banging your head against the problem until you figure it out yourself. You won't die...most don't anyway. Happy

Collapse -
Get DBAN
by -AJC- / January 6, 2009 9:02 PM PST

There is a program called Darik's Boot and Nuke. What it does is it removes every part of data from your hard drive. You burn a disk for it after you download it and then boot up your laptop with the disk inside. A screen should pop up saying "Press andy letter to boot from disk" you press a key and I blue window will come up. Read the screen and then type "/nuke" or "nuke" in the box, if that does not work hit the "ENTER" button on your keyboard and follow the instructions on the screen. This might not work if you have not enabled the "boot from CD/DVD Drive" in the BIOS. If you can't burn CD's or do anything just slide back in the Windows XP pro disk that came with you computer and install windows again. To get DBAN go here- http://www.dban.org/
To get info on how re-install Windows go here- http://www.pcworld.com/article/129977/how_to_reinstall_windows_xp.html

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.