Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

How do I Uninstall IE8 and re-install IE7?

by Adam Jackson / October 1, 2008 2:50 AM PDT

I just installed IE8 and don't like the user interface...so I would like to uninstall it.

I am running Windows Vista SP1...but Microsoft doesn't have that option on their download page for IE7...

How do I go about uninstalling IE8 and reinstalling IE7?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I Uninstall IE8 and re-install IE7?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I Uninstall IE8 and re-install IE7?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
thanks...
by Adam Jackson / October 1, 2008 10:38 PM PDT
In reply to: Just checking.

thanks! that worked...now I'm back to IE7...

Collapse -
Thanks for the report.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 1, 2008 10:41 PM PDT
In reply to: thanks...

Beats what many are doing (wipe out!)

Collapse -
can not uninstal IE8
by eltaraaa / May 23, 2009 2:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Just checking.

I tried all the solutions mentioned in this part with no value, the link did not help the spuninst.exe is not available in my windows IE8 not present in the programs to uninstal I am using vista SP1 and every time I close a window it gives me an error message which is internet explorer stopped working A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available

Collapse -
ie8&svp3
by sassie111 / December 3, 2009 6:51 PM PST
In reply to: can not uninstal IE8

You want be able to uninstall ie8 after they mic. has installed scv3. I have the same problem. It's to slow and crashes and hangs and loads slow. You can download Aol explorer . Its fast and easy to use.

Collapse -
What did you think of it?
by Dango517 / October 10, 2008 12:19 PM PDT

Why the roll back?

I thought it was faster but not ready for prime time.

It is supposed to be released in it's final form next month. I might wait a few months after it's release. Happy

Collapse -
I just wasn't used to it...
by Adam Jackson / October 13, 2008 11:01 PM PDT

There were features in there that I wasn't used to and they had switched around some components of IE7 that I had liked. They also need to fine-tune it a little more...make it faster...and clean up some of the features.

When the full release comes out, I'll try it again...

Collapse -
Try System Restore
by GENE8 / October 10, 2008 5:40 PM PDT

You can try checking your System Restore to see if the restore point that you made when you installed IE8 is still in the calendar (it should be highlighted). If it is still there, then you can simply restore your system back to the earliest time BEFORE you installed IE8, whatever date that might be. Your system should revert back to IE7.

Collapse -
Will system restore take me back from IE7 to IE6?
by jill122 / October 14, 2008 5:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Try System Restore

Everything is slower now -- my laptop is old and probably didn't need the aggravation of switching my browser. Type is almost impossible to read -- I want out. Can I restore my machine to the time before I did this idiotic thing?

Collapse -
Restore didn't work
by jill122 / October 14, 2008 10:54 AM PDT

I tried restoring all the way back to the furthest date on the calendar and it didn't work. Apparently I had a low-lying virus which I caught yesterday AFTER I downloaded IE7.

I went to microsoft -- they offer Explorer 6 SP1 - I'm running Windows XP SP2. If I download SP1, will I have lots of patches, etc. to download to get back to what I had?

Collapse -
To boxcarro. Post deleted.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 27, 2009 8:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Restore didn't work

Sorry but your post was not relevant to the subject of this thread, "How to remove IE8 and revert to IE7".

Also, linking to other sites that have nothing to do with the posts is not permitted.

That's why I deleted your post.

Mark

Collapse -
Did windows auto update just before your problems started?
by Lastly / March 17, 2010 1:33 PM PDT
In reply to: Restore didn't work

Curious if Windows to update and the problems started? My IE8 worked great until the last update... Now too many problems to mention here. Everything is messed up and hangs/freezes after trying to restore and kept saying disk problem (wish I'd have written it down or a way to copy and paste but for some reason never been able to do that, wonder why?) Anyway CHKDSK stops I'm sure before it suppose to, sometimes the computer starts sometimes it doesn't.

Collapse -
IE-6
by homeydakine / November 23, 2008 9:57 AM PST

When I uninstalled IE-6 my PC crashed & I had to do run a recovery disk. I do not recommend removal on this. Install another browser like i did.

Collapse -
uninstall ie8
by bossau1 / March 31, 2009 11:55 PM PDT

I wish to uninstall ie8 and reinstall ie7
windows xp professional Thanks

Collapse -
Same deal
by therebel292004 / May 21, 2009 3:53 AM PDT
In reply to: uninstall ie8

Pretty much I want to fix my messed up IE now. I had the IE7, installed IE8, but the Page and Tool menus didn't work right, font wouldn't show up in them. So I tried doing a restore, that didn't help. Just made IE7 shut down right after I try to open a window. I even tried removing ALL of IE from the program files, and then just reinstall IE7, but still shuts down right after I open it. I have Windows XP Home edition with SP3 installed. How can I fix this problem now? And just so you know, I can't use the Windows XP install disk to do repair cause it says I don't have access even though I'm the owner.

Collapse -
There's two things in your post.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 21, 2009 7:59 PM PDT
In reply to: Same deal

IE problems often stem from bad add-ons, like BHOs, (Browser Helper Objects), ActiveX, or 3rd party toolbars. Remove all those and see if that helps. (Tools > Internet Options > Advanced tab, Reset). Beware, this will remove all favorites, cookies, web site passwords etc stored in IE.

Make sure your firewall, and your anti-virus and anti-spyware scanners are operating and up to date, and frequent scans carried out.

You can't use the Windows XP install disk to do a repair. What is the exact message?

You realize I am sure that you cannot 'repair' Windows whilst logged in to Windows itself. It won't let you. You need to insert that CD, and reboot the system. it will then boot from the CD and that will give you the setup/repair options.

You may need to enter the BIOS to set it to list the CD drive top of the boot order list.

Mark

Collapse -
Same Deal pt2
by therebel292004 / May 22, 2009 1:05 PM PDT

I have tried the whole boot from CD, the problem is it tells me I don't have access even though I am the owner and I enter my password. Must have something to do with the stupid NetFrame or whatever account that's created from think it was service pack 3 or something.
All I know is I've tried uninstalling IE8 and reinstalling IE7, all I get is nonstop crashing then. I even tried uninstalling, deleting the program folder after uninstall, then rebooting, registry scan, then reinstall IE7, and still it just crashes out. The only way to get it to work again is to install IE8 again, and that's just a piece of junk since it has NO compatiblity with WindowBlinds.

Collapse -
Ahh, WindowsBlinds.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 22, 2009 8:24 PM PDT
In reply to: Same Deal pt2

That's the first time you mentioned 3rd party software.

Such utilities that make 'major' changes to the GUI, (Graphic User Interface), will often fall down when new Windows software is introduced.

I still don't understand the problem with the Windows Install CD. Maybe your 'BIOS' is password protected, but only you can say that. Generally it isn't.

There are no accounts that would prevent the BIOS from booting off the CD, because Windows has not yet loaded.

Here's a web site resource that will help you through the steps of a clean install;
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

That site also has guidance for a repair install.

Mark

Collapse -
How do I Uninstall IE8 and re-install IE7
by selpo26 / August 13, 2009 6:32 AM PDT

My operating system is microsoft windows vista home basic.

Collapse -
Re: from IE8 back to IE7
by Kees Bakker / August 13, 2009 6:41 AM PDT

Unistall IE8 from Control Panel>Add/Remove. You'll find it under the W (Windows Internet Explorer 8). That's all. IE7 will be restored automatically.

Kees

Collapse -
Sounds good
by shalba1 / March 30, 2010 1:08 PM PDT

Hi,

That **doesn't work** for IE8 in windows. Tried, and had to use "Restore", to have any browser at all... and of course, it still had all of it's lousy problems.

But see a later post on how I fixed IE8 on my computer.

BEWARE!

God Bless you all,
shalba1

Collapse -
taking off IE8 and putting IE7 on my puter
by rosie1958 / October 17, 2009 4:33 AM PDT

HELP!!

Collapse -
Is there something you need help with?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 17, 2009 8:59 PM PDT

Only, "Help!" doesn't say much.

What happened when you tried the other options offered in this discussion?

Mark

Collapse -
ie8
by mahmoud abdelmoneim / March 2, 2010 12:25 PM PST

Please how to delete ie8 from computer?
thank you.

Collapse -
How did you get on
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 4, 2010 4:52 AM PST
In reply to: ie8

with the guidance offered in this discussion?

Mark

Collapse -
by softwarelady / March 6, 2010 9:05 PM PST

"just installed IE8 and don't like the user interface"

well, to me, the interface is ok, but i met another problem. every time i want to email someone, i mean, i click "xxx@xxx.com" one the website, my outlook never pop up. i need to copy the email address and paste it...sorry, i don't know whether i describe it clearly. but it works well under IE7.

Collapse -
Re: mail popup
by Kees Bakker / March 6, 2010 9:14 PM PST
In reply to: ...

Well, if I (using Firefox) click on xxx@xxx.com in your post, nothing happens also, because it isn't a link. So, given your current description of the problem, nothing is wrong.

But maybe your description is incomplete. So please tell:
1. What is "the website" you mention? And what link on that website? An example we could be try ourselves would be fine.
2. What email-program are you using?
3. In IE, go into Tools>Options>Programs and tell us
a. The full list of mail-programs to choose from in the dropdown box for email
b. The current choice you made.

Kees

Collapse -
I think I have this
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 7, 2010 4:39 AM PST
In reply to: ...

and Kees is on the right track, but IE8 is different now. It took me a while to sort out.

Open IE8 and goto Tools > Internet Options, then the Programs tab.

If you are using XP then there is an option in that tab to choose your email program, just as Kees says.

However, if you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, there is no longer an "Email" option on its own. Instead you have to click the "Set programs" button under "Internet programs".

A new window will open called "Choose the programs that Windows uses by default". It is not easy to see what you have to do.

Click the bottom option, "Set program access and computer defaults". If Vista or Win 7 asks for permission, give it.

Another new window will open. You will see 3 options listed. Click the radio button for the top two, one at a time, to expand the details. See if Outlook is set as the default email program. if not, click the 3rd radio button, Custom. If the expanded details screen stop you seeing the 3rd option, find the double chevron 'up' arrows to the far right of the radio button, and click that to collapse the details.

In the custom details, where it says "Choose a default e-mail program", select "Use my current default e-mail program".

Click OK all the way out.

*Sigh*, it was so much easier in XP!

Mark

Collapse -
Where do you find "tools" in IE8
by shalba1 / March 30, 2010 1:03 PM PDT
In reply to: I think I have this

Hi,

I keep hearing, click "tools", in IE8. Maybe, the integral IE8 in Win7 is different? I can't find a whole lot of things in the Win7 version of IE8. Not even the forward and back buttons!

**HELP**!

God Bless you all.

shalba1

Collapse -
IE 8 Tools menu option, link only
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 30, 2010 8:38 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.