Internet Service Providers forum

Question

How do I unblock a blocked domain?

by Tosca / July 16, 2013 6:26 AM PDT

Hi,
I got a "This domain is blocked " msg from the Huffingtonpost.com site while attempting a search that was trying to access "search.huffingtonpost.com. The screen also said this happened "based on category choices" re "News/Media/Blogs/Politics" and seemed to be coming from "blocked-website.com." Also said I should contact my network administrator. Well, that's me and I am the only user on this computer (an older MacBook). I have looked at Mac Preferences as well as settings for Safari and Firefox and cannot figure how or what was blocked to be able to unblock - can someone guide me here?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I unblock a blocked domain?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I unblock a blocked domain?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
I've seen this from OpenDNS users.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 16, 2013 6:33 AM PDT

That can be in your router choice so you as the admin would know which DNS you are using.
Bob

Collapse -
Blocked Domain
by Tosca / July 16, 2013 8:36 AM PDT

Yes, the msg also said "powered by OpenDNS". And yes, I'm also the Administrator. I surely did not block this domain, though. I really hate messing with the router - must I get into the router software to clear the block? You also said "which DNS you are using - I didn't know there was more than on(!) Can you tell me how to determine that?

Collapse -
Yes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 16, 2013 9:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Blocked Domain
Collapse -
Blocked Domains --
by Tosca / July 16, 2013 10:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes.

I took a quick look at the link - thanks, Bob - but before I start messing with this, please clarify: are you suggesting I switch from OpenDNS to GoogleDNS? And that the switch itself would/could solve the blocked domain issue?

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 16, 2013 11:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Blocked Domains --

But my answer is the same given the same questions. Since you can change it back, I'm unsure what the new question is here.

I don't want to upset you but this should be a few minute test. If it fails then ask OpenDNS what they did and while I did use them awhile back their failures and such put me off. So I changed and moved on.
Bob

Collapse -
Blocked
by Tosca / July 16, 2013 1:51 PM PDT
In reply to: Sorry.

Not at all upset - just squeamish and maybe over-cautious - will try the switch and report back.

Collapse -
Blocked -
by Tosca / July 17, 2013 5:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Blocked

Well - I followed instructions on HowToGeek but Tiger (fully updated) does not show a DNS tab as stated, just TCP/IP, PPOE, Ethernet and a couple more. (My system is Ethernet). Under TCP/IP, there is a block labeled DNS Servers, noted as "optional", where I could enter data. I tried contacting HowToGeek to see how to proceed without the DNS tab but both my Safari and Firefox software, as up to date as they can be, are not up enough for Geek to allow me to contact them.

Any place to go from here? Or should I just hold until I get a new Mac someday?

Collapse -
I would have entered in the DNS for a try.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 17, 2013 5:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Blocked -

I know folk are mystified about all this but if you use OpenDNS such can happen. Support seems hard to find today.
Bob

Collapse -
Blocked
by Tosca / July 17, 2013 10:35 AM PDT

I'm going to print and file this information for future reference. Thanks, Bob.

Collapse -
Update
by Tosca / July 18, 2013 5:25 AM PDT

Wanted to let you know that I gave the GoogleDNS numbers a try in the Mac Preferences-Network-TCP/IP tab and all seems to be working well - that is, the couple of domains that were blocked are now unblocked. I'm not happy going with Google and will continue looking for other options, but regardless, thought you'd like to know. And thanks again.

Collapse -
Be happy. Try.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 18, 2013 5:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Update

Now that we know that works, why not try your ISP's DNS entries. I can't guess from the clues so far what that is.

As you may or not know, ATT is up to it's old ways as Samsung Smart TVs don't connect. I'm unsure if it's intentional but ATT is battling for the market share of smart tv or set top boxes so my bet is it was intentional. You can read about it at:
http://forums.cnet.com/7723-13973_102-597428/samsung-smart-tv-won-t-connect-to-internet/?tag=posts;msg5478266

Here's a note about Godaddy's DNS shenanigans:
http://rscott.org/dns/GoDaddy_Selective_DNS_Blackouts.htm

And you found no support or help with OpenDNS so what's so bad about Google DNS?
Bob

Collapse -
Google
by Tosca / July 18, 2013 10:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Be happy. Try.

Just that it's Google - gobbling up the world.

Will take a look at your links - Thanks.

Collapse -
Then and if so inclined, your very own DNS server?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 18, 2013 11:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Google

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Broadband forum: How do I unblock a blocked domain?
by alexmartin11 / September 29, 2013 5:40 PM PDT

Go to your Dashboard and undo what you did to get them blocked, whether by category or individual domain. Only the categories or domains you choose to be blocked are blocked. If you want a category to be blocked, but you want a particular domain in that category to be unblocked, add it to the Never Block list.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.