Computer Help forum

General discussion

How do I un-partition a drive?

by atikovi / August 17, 2010 8:42 AM PDT

I?m not even sure it?s the right term but here is the problem. I bought this used Dell 9100 that has two 500GB hard drives. The previous owner set it up as follows; System Reserved (C:) with 100MB total capacity & 48MB free space, Local Disc (D:) with 465GB total capacity & 453GB free space and Local Disc (E:) with 465GB total capacity & 399GB free space. The problem is I have some software that only works from drive C and there is no space there for it. I?m not sure what the previous owner intended by calling drive C a System Reserved drive as it only contains a few small folders and files. How can I find out which hard disk this C drive is part of and how do I join them back into one drive?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I un-partition a drive?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I un-partition a drive?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Go to Disk Management for the status of the drives...
by Papa Echo / August 17, 2010 9:31 AM PDT

Start>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>Disk Management. Here you will see all the drives, with numbers asigned, Disk 0, 1, 2, 3....,and within each drive, you will see the Partitions[with drive letters]
Report what you see [with screen shot, if possible], and one of us here should be able to help.

Collapse -
What operating system is it?
by Paul C / August 17, 2010 9:31 AM PDT

Regardless of what you state (or don't state), can I assume that the OS is on the C: drive?

Assuming you're running Windows XP, Vista or 7, right-click My Computer (XP)or Computer (Vista and 7). Select Manage from the drop down. In the window that opens up, select Disk Management. You'll then see a graphic representation of both drives on the system and the partitions that are on each one.

Now, as for merging partitions: The link I'm providing is for Vista, but it should work in 7 as well:

Alternately, you can buy one of the many disk management programs that are out there.

Hope this helps, Paul

Collapse -
by atikovi / August 17, 2010 9:50 AM PDT

I'm running XP Pro. I see Windows is on E: I went to disc management and it shows: Disc 0 465.75GB, System Reserved (C) 100MB (Healthy System), (E) 465.65GB Healthy (Boot) and Disc 1 465.76GB Local Disc (D) 465.76GB Healthy

Collapse -
Partition Wizard
by Schokers / August 17, 2010 10:04 AM PDT

There is a free program called Partition Wizard which is very easy to use and creates new and combines partition. You can find it at Sorry but I don't now how to enter a link into this reply - you will have to copy this address into your browser.

Collapse -
Partition Wizard
by atikovi / August 17, 2010 12:57 PM PDT
In reply to: Partition Wizard

From what I've read so far it looks like I need to merge C and E together. Seems none of these free versions do the mearge function so I guess I have to buy one of the upgraded versions.

Collapse -
by atikovi / August 18, 2010 5:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Partition Wizard

How would this work? I cloned drive E which has Windows and all my programs to drive D. Can I now reinstall Windows so that there is just a drive C and no E? Then can I clone D to the new C drive?

Collapse -
I doubt that will work,...
by Paul C / August 18, 2010 6:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Clone? Windows usually won't work if you try to change the drive letter on which it's installed. Your real problem is that you have a system drive (C:) that has too little space. I'd seriously consider getting a third party program and merge C: and E:.

Given what you've told us, I suspect I'd do the following:

1. Backup everything you want to keep onto Drive D: (just copy and paste the folders).

2. Merge E: with C:, making sure that C: is the drive you keep. NOTE: This may result in Windows not being able to boot!

3. Reinstall XP on Drive C: (Disk 0). Reinstall all your software, run Windows Update and update all your applications.

4. Move the data you saved on Disk 1 (Drive D:) to where you want it.

Collapse -
Won't work?
by atikovi / August 18, 2010 7:17 AM PDT

1) Backing up everything and copying them to drive D would be ideal but it only works for data. I have programs that don't copy over and which would take a dozen hours to re-install, thats why I tried cloning.
2) I was going to buy Acronis Disc Director 11 but at $50 for a one time need, I though I would try this first. If you think it's really the best way I'll go that route.
3) If I merge E with C why do I need to reinstall XP? It was already on E and which is now C.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.