Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

How do I turn screen auto-refresh off?

by jtfan2004 / August 20, 2005 9:53 AM PDT

When I'm in Windows Explorer working with directories with very large numbers of files (such as photos and music)... I will scroll through the list, but every couple minutes or so, it automatically takes the scroll bar back to the beginning! This happens in every 'view' option. It's annoying to have to then scroll back and try to find the spot I was at before.

I know it can be turned off, but I've forgotten how... help!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I turn screen auto-refresh off?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I turn screen auto-refresh off?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I've not heard of such a setting in Windows
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 20, 2005 8:48 PM PDT

I know web pages can auto-refresh, but not Windows.

I suspect your problem is something other than Windows Explorer or other software.

Does this happen elsewhere? eg, a long Word document, or long web page?

What mouse do you use? Have you cleaned it recently or tried another one? Or try the mouse in another computer?

Try re-setting the mouse wheel options in Control Panel, eg changing it from scrolling one page at a time, to one line at a time, test it, then change back.

Other than that, I am not sure. Perhaps others here will have heard of this before.

Good luck

Mark

Collapse -
A short overview.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 20, 2005 10:12 PM PDT

Windows is a message based OS in which 'events' can be broadcast. Explorer's display is not static in that a running program could create a file in a directory and Explorer will process the event (file system change) and refresh the display.

Explorer is not a file browser but something else. Its easy to prove it's not a file browser since many items it displays are 'not a file' or added by Explorer.

Eventually one who grows tired of Explorer's issues as a file and directory browser finds something else.

I use Gyula's Navigator if I want to see 'just the facts' (files).

Bob

Collapse -
RE:
by jtfan2004 / August 21, 2005 12:03 PM PDT

It only happens in Windows Explorer and only in folders with a LOT of files.

For instance, I have a folder with nearly 500 photos from a trip to Washington state. No matter what view I use (thumbnail, details, list, etc.), the window seems to 'refresh' and return to the beginning/top of the list after a couple minutes. I could scroll to the end of the list and just leave it... a couple minutes later it'll be back at the beginning... all without touching it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Magazine

The summer issue is here!

In the latest edition of our quarterly magazine, we look at how you can spend your summer getting fit and having fun. Pick up a copy on newsstands today or order it now.