PC Applications forum

General discussion

How do I transfer programs to new computer

by gfreid / July 23, 2009 1:54 AM PDT

When my client companies upgrade their computers they call me to move their software from the old ones to the new. These are nearly always XP machines and I can usually use their CDs to reinstall the software. The problem is that these are smaller companies, under 50 employees, and they don't do a good job of storing the CDs where they can be found later.
Also, some of the programs are their own proprietary software or some that are unique to their industry.
I'm looking for a utility program that will use a null modem cable, or other method, to transfer the entire installation intact, from computer A to B. This would include the registry or ini files, as needed.
This would save me a lot of time doing a complete re-install of everything.
Any Ideas?
Frank Reid

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I transfer programs to new computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I transfer programs to new computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This is not supported by Windows.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 23, 2009 2:38 AM PDT

And companies are deliberately making such harder and harder.

-> Why not be honest with the clients and tell them the truth?

Collapse -
Zinstall XP7
by GaryYan / December 5, 2010 8:10 AM PST

I know it's a bit of an old thread, but after stumbling upon it I just had to share the solution.

There's a product which does *exactly* what you need. It transfers the entire installation, with all programs and files, over a network cable, from computer A to B. Simple as that.
It's called Zinstall XP7, available at http://www.zinstall.com

If you still need this done - thank me later Happy
Oh, and you guessed right, it's not by Microsoft. Guess they don't care as much.

Collapse -
This fails.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 5, 2010 8:21 AM PST
In reply to: Zinstall XP7

Now try that with current versions of Microsoft Office. The Office transfers but the activation kicks in and it's failed again.

Again, software is designed to not move like this.

Collapse -
Worked here
by GaryYan / December 5, 2010 5:43 PM PST
In reply to: This fails.

Actually, did work in my case, repeatedly, on all of our workstations.

Maybe couldn't handle some specific version/license? We've transferred Office 2003 on all of them.

Collapse -
Depends on the version of Office
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 7, 2010 1:52 AM PST
In reply to: Worked here

For example that CRACKED VERSION you see far too often at the shop counters does move but there's a reason.

For most of us, we have to use Retail versions and have no access to Corporate or Enterprise versions that may work with said title.

Collapse -
Answer + tutorial
by Michael Fim / August 12, 2015 4:48 PM PDT

Zinstall seems to be the popular choice when reading other forums.
Transfers programs, files and everything else to new PC, and they support Windows 10, too.

Here's their tutorial that I found to be useful:
How to transfer programs to new PC

Collapse -
All this for 59.99 and up.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 12, 2015 5:30 PM PDT
In reply to: Answer + tutorial

Frankly, this app was found wanting years ago. Play it again Sam.

Collapse -
Play it Sam.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / August 12, 2015 5:44 PM PDT

It was never play it again Sam. Useless facts stored in my brain.
Dafydd. I think it was play it Sam.

Collapse -
I stopped too soon.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 12, 2015 5:55 PM PDT
In reply to: Play it Sam.

A major software maker pulled the plug on app moving a few years ago. They couldn't be honest that it would fail on many apps that are "activated." Office in many versions moves so they claim it moved but then the license would blow up.

That said, PCMOVER is still kicking around and if you believe the claims, then buy it.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.