Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

How do I transfer Olympus VN5000 digital voice recoder to pc

by T5761 / May 6, 2009 6:57 PM PDT

As mentioned Olympus VN5000 digital voice recorder. has 4 fordlers a,b,c,d, saves large recodered memos meetings lectures etc up to 300 hours and saves these audio recoding as a wave format. I have computer windows xp media edition. Windows media player for videos msongs formate is WMA. I also have sony mp3 player.
What I would like to do 1 does wave format play on win xp be it the media libary. orsome other softwere. I tired it on win vioc audio player via with double ened jack , via 1 jack into vn olympus headset slot and jack 2 on the end of cord into pc mic slot played fine. problem max record play time on win xp voice audio player is 60 seconds.
My recordings on olympus can range from 5 min to 1 hour as the normal, but the olympus 5000 can record very very long recodings till point were only stop record when batt go dead.

So I read review were person that have the vn 5000 digtal voice recoder have downloaded the free Aducity ver 1.2.6 and claimed plays fine can save as wma or mp3 to computer pc and use win media libary or mp 3 play, my concen is these are use for music and vidoes. will it play large audio files . And can win xp media player convert or play the digtal voice recorder format save files as wave or can win xp ,ediad libary convert the wave formate to WMA formate and play my recodings for various time of small and large files? , if can play to win meida play as a wave file how do I do it after doing the hook up double end jack to pc then what. where will I locate the access of the digital record in My computer as a drive E? and what can I do with it from there . must I convert wave format or not, and if yes Which audacity version do I use and what is the intsrutions to acomplish this , Or from drive E can I open and copy paste each adiou file and paste file into my documents where I would create new folder audiou files and hopefully rename file as by subject. Again will it play as a wave file ? or does it need to be convert to WMA formate and which program will play this file stored in my doctuments.
I hope some of you have some suggestions for me. Especailly with CNET alone has many types downloadsI heard there is free step voice recoder ver 1.7 coukld not find and not sure format. Even if I can buy for 10 to 15.00 softwere or program to get the job done save my recodered adiou files to my laptop computer win xp . so keep as back up and can play any file and listen onpc and if a small file ac attach to e mail . And if lage file can burn to cd if one wants copy of my audio pulic meeting etc. Sure would be nice to save my audio files to pc as back up and be able to bame folders files of suject matter and bable to play at will on computer. Hope you folk have some ideas wht to get this dont and the spets intructions how what I need if anything Just as lon g tell me how to do it and it works , that would be nice, Thank you very much. Fred

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I transfer Olympus VN5000 digital voice recoder to pc
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I transfer Olympus VN5000 digital voice recoder to pc
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re moving files

If you can move the .wav file to the PC it should be able to play with all mediaplayers available (for example, Windows Media player). The .wav format is very well supported, but it takes a lot of disk space: a cd in .wav format is about 600 Mb for 1 hour of music. Speech might be smaller.

You can use CDEX or AUDACITY (both free) on the PC to convert the .wav file to .mp3 (which is much smaller).

What does the manual of your VN5000 say about connecting the device to the PC and copying the files? It could be as simple as drag and drop in My Computer if it gets a drive letter.

Kees

Collapse -
Olympus VN 5000 digital voice recorder how to save to pc
by T5761 / May 6, 2009 8:00 PM PDT
In reply to: Re moving files

by Kees Bakker - 5/7/09 2:18 AM In reply to: How do I transfer Olympus VN5000 digital voice recoder to pc by T5761
If you can move the .wav file to the PC it should be able to play with all mediaplayers available (for example, Windows Media player). The .wav format is very well supported, but it takes a lot of disk space: a cd in .wav format is about 600 Mb for 1 hour of music. Speech might be smaller.

You can use CDEX or AUDACITY (both free) on the PC to convert the .wav file to .mp3 (which is much smaller).

What does the manual of your VN5000 say about connecting the device to the PC and copying the files? It could be as simple as drag and drop in My Computer if it gets a drive letter.

Kees

Thanks for reply The hook up proces is esy double end jack , onne jack on each end of cord. Disk space No problem at all I have 88 gig's free on Hard drive, ram 1 gig, Question is do I open windows media and start one of the recorded aduio file and see if the file which is formated in WAVE playes, can win xop media libarby play larfe files 5, 10 20 40, mintes aduio. as single file? I have 200 songs on there it plays all till I stop player, But were talking indiuvual file exceeding avage song , but again it plays vidois movies on full lenght. Question how do I inport the audio file into the win midia libary to be saved?and what next step to see if plays ? and if not play can it media player chage formate to WMA which does play in media linargy. Soo My real goal is to save all my audio file over to my documents in a new folder audio file and title each so easy click and play . I need to know can I save the wave audio recording on win xp on pc and it will play all the files, Or do I have to find way convert from wave formate to WMA and play file, and what are the steps to do it.. Maybe it is me, But if I know the answer to question I will bookmark or tell person not just one program but several options and what exact steps need to be followed to get the request satified . so there are no questions if he follows my advise on the subject he will have his say cell phone working and the features also because i tell him step by step how to fix it. , Seems many answers i get to this what i would think simple copy paste . or formate softere. would not be so challging , The mamny replys are vague . Leaving me up in the air ok try this program , Adacity 1.2.6 someone suggested . it is a complicated softwaere with formates and pc words I dont know mean, There is little to no help under help. I want to get the answer along with instrutions that will completely soluve this matter where I ill ne able to save paly my audio files and the problem is solved, Others say try windows, and ? what hints would help like well first you have to dio this or that , and if that dont work try this or that. and next and then you all done , just reapt step each time what to save audio file to pc. But I dont het thoese kinda answers so far. very frustrating. But I thank you anyways for partial suggestion.

Collapse -
Let me repeat my question.
by Kees Bakker / May 6, 2009 8:16 PM PDT

What does the manual of your VN5000 say about connecting the device to the PC and copying the files?

Easy jacks seems an audio connection to me, not a data connection. Then you'll need a recording program to record it again. That can't be the best way, although maybe it's the only way. I can't tell. You can, because you can read the manual or study the help files on the CD that came with the voice recorder.

Kees

Collapse -
Vn Olympus Vn 5000 manual say's while connecting to external
by T5761 / May 10, 2009 12:13 PM PDT

Vn Olympus Vn 5000 manual say's while connecting to external device to check playback volume setting. Dor VN is connected to external device and in play the volume will not be able to be adjusted. thats all it says. Why does each post keep suggesting I try to save to CD for saving recorded large files cause takes up a lot of space. I have 88 gig's of free hard drive space FREE. I gig of ram Free. I just want to know if I can copy my recorded meetings, speeches,memos etc onto my win xp pc via the stereo double end jacks .via way I describeled above. which does work on pc windown voice recorder play is fine. But that win xp voice recorder only records 60 seconds max, that feature is for brief message to attach to e mails etc. I want to save the large recoreded files to my documents and and like to know will my Nero player which look like a car stereo and shows some old file from previous recoder which format was wma would show on pc nero softwere player date an time of recording and remaining time left. While windows xp media player just plays the rcoded files back but no date time info. As mentioned the VN formate recorded files as a WAVE formate. I was able to via hook up use the short win voice recoder and play was fine.

However, I have read post in Amazon.com under Olympus digital voice recorder revews posts Stating that indeed the VN large files recored can in deed be saved on pc win by using free software Audacity version was not given I tried it and led shows up down as was sending file. However on playback there was no sound. and lost sound on pc. Which I restored. I sent e mail to poter asking what version. got no reply.
I agree with last post person on here Cnet perhaps is possiable to do drag an drop or copy an paste, But the VN does not have usb connection so no drive E will show, The only way to conncet is via 1/8 double jack plugs. which is jack 1 goes into VN headphone slot and other jack on end of cable goes into pc mic slot. But I would still need sometype of softwarebe it Aduacity If win xp support wave file and I tried Adacitys ver 1.2.6 and there was no playbe sound and lost pc sound. So need to know perhaps what version Adacity would work with my Win xp and if playback works on pc , then could create folder in Documents and compy paste any all recorded files into foder for future playback and will also serve as back up. The Vn can record up to 300 hours.

As mentioned with my older digital recorder which recorded in WMA formate and HAD a USb connection was very easy to trafer all files and nero played them back clear and saved all files into folder in documents. But that unit broke. and I saw the VN which has much more record time and more features ,except pc usb connection. But have read reviews in Amazon that all that is needed is double ended jack and use the way I mentined along with a software that will save the file as well as convert formates and that should be it. Even olympis techs say YES the VN recodered files can be save to pc But I need to use a Digital voice conveter and they are not allow to say were to get them , but google search there out there..
I thought to try here for advise since this fourm has pesons that are in the know about such things. . I am at the point where I will just buy the Olympus digital voice recorder formate WMA with pc usb conector, even though has far less record time as VN. And just use the double end jack and transfer what files I wish and Click on the E drive copy paste downloaded files. And let Nero player handle playback. And forget trying to find the all so called digital free software formate converters.Its just shame have to but a pc version Recoder when even the Olympis tech say VN will work on win xp But need the free type audio formate converter whatever else it is called is free But there not permitted to say list of the softwaeres that are out there on the net, but they will do the job just fine.
In any case I thank you for replys attempting to help. T5761

Collapse -
There is no info about vn connecting to pc. Download manual
by T5761 / May 11, 2009 11:21 PM PDT

I have friend who has the VN 3200pc and that unit conncets to pc via usb cord and even that manual does not say anything about saving audio file to pc nor how to drag drop etc.
So as I told you the VN 5000 does not mention a word about anything to do with pc. Just say if connecting to external devise adjust voulme. If you insitst on asking same question and I tell you the manual has no info about pc . also How would drop paste from drive E.? Still would need convert formate program. and I dont see how anyone could get a e drive from the vn 5000 with the only connect possiable is the steo radio shack 1/8 cord which has a jack on each end. I have been able to use windos with these jacks for win voice sound recorder for brife message attache to e mail. This is not whatI want to do I want to save large file from speach or meetings. I dont care if takes up 500 mb. Have 88 gigs freeI cam a cross Wave to Wma format conveter software free will give try in day or so. As for Your doubltyme about my answers on vn 5000 , I suggest you view there manual your self its free to read. and answer your own questions, I dont know how more clearly to put it. there is no info about pc period when comes to vn 5000.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.