Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

How do I transfer files from one user to another?

by Xxenya / February 17, 2004 4:28 AM PST

I just changed the settings on my computer so that there can be multiple users on it. My problem is that the new user i created has basicly none of the various files and applications that are on the default user. how do I transfe those files from the default user to the on I created?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I transfer files from one user to another?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I transfer files from one user to another?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:How do I transfer files from one user to another?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 17, 2004 4:59 AM PST

Xx,

Whenever posting questions on these forums, please give us as much information as possible about your computer. We need the operating system, processor speed, amount of RAM installed, and anything else you think might help. The more information you can give us, the better informed our answer will be. Enough of that, back to your question.

First, of all, the files and applications are still there, you just can't see them. Sometimes, if they are files, then they need to be 'shared" correctly, but as mentioned above, we need to know the operating system.

For program shortcuts and start ups, most multiple user computers also have a listing for "All Users". For example, on a Windows XP computer, your particular "desktop shortcuts" will be placed in the "C\Documents and Settings\Yourusername\Desktop". As an "administrator" log in, you can copy/paste those various items to the "C\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop", or to any specific user's "Desktop" folder, and they should then be available to all users.

In addition, if there are any programs that a particular user wants to creat a shortcut for, they simply need to click on "Start-All Programs, then RIGHT click on the program listing and create a shortcut from that location.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re:How do I transfer files from one user to another?
by Cursorcowboy / February 17, 2004 7:08 AM PST

1. The article [Q188111] states that by default user profiles in Windows 98 are not personalized during Setup and when each new user that logs on for the first time, they are prompted to personalize his or her settings. Please read, Sharing Your Computer."

Collapse -
Transfer files to proper person
by jbouch202 / January 16, 2010 2:18 AM PST

I am sending my laptop to my brother who is going to have hip replacement and will be bedridden and then getting rehab for a long time. I know he will really appreciate getting this gift. I want him to really feel ownership and so wanted to have his name as owner and then have all the page reflect him as owner. He will be doing mostly games at first and I have them on the desktop. How can I pput him as owner and have all these games show this. Now all the come up is the Internet options and he will not have these for a few months. Can you help me give him this great gift?

Collapse -
Re: copying
by Kees Bakker / January 16, 2010 5:33 AM PST

You can't change the name "owner" that appears in certain places. But you can make a new Windows account for him (with his name, say Bill) and configure his desktop to do what he wants. If all is fine, delete your own account (say James). Be sure to have - apart from the new account Bill - at least one other account with administrator apabilities available, You might call it "admin", for example, and password protect it. Don't forget the password!

If the new link to the games is such that - somehow - your name pops up uninstall and reinstall it and see if that makes a difference. But I don't think that's necessary. Most properties are defined on user level, not on system level.

Kees

Collapse -
And ...
by Kees Bakker / January 16, 2010 5:37 AM PST

about configuring the desktop.

Just make new shortcuts or copy the shortcuts from the desktop folder in your (old) profile to the desktop folder in his (new) profile using My Computer (if it's Windows XP). You might need to show Control Panel>Folder Options to show hidden and system folders and files (several checkboxes) to be able to see that folders to copy the contents.

Kees

Collapse -
transfer of file from user to user
by mrpt2006 / July 7, 2011 1:52 AM PDT

to transfer files make a copy of the file or folder if the folder has sub-folders in it just copy the master folder, then go to compter or my computer depending on your os open the c drive go to users open the user accounts then open the user account you want to transfer the file or folder righ click the mouse click paste.
In order to see your files switch user account go to computer open the c drive, open user account, open the user account you want to use, then move your file or folder to the deck top. Now your ready to use your files.
Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Thanks
by Wangooo / October 15, 2011 12:02 PM PDT

This was really useful, now I can do it!!! Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.