Storage forum

General discussion

How do I transfer data to my new hard drive?

by geehon1999 / December 8, 2007 3:42 PM PST

I upgraded my 60MB hard drive to a 200MB; How do I transfer all my

data to the new hard drive. I realize that having two hard drives

don't hurt but my system boots from the 60MB drive and I would

rather have everything boot from the 200MB drive. I'm a DIY so I'm

trying not to go to a tech center. Can this be done? do I need two

computers to accomplish this?

System Info...

Compaq Presario s4120wm
Windows XP Home Edition
MoBo am37 FIC
AMD Athlon xp 2600+ 2.1MHz
512MB DDR RAM

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I transfer data to my new hard drive?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I transfer data to my new hard drive?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clone software?
by Coryphaeus / December 8, 2007 10:39 PM PST

Did your new drive come with any kind of cloning software? If so, run it and it will copy everything from the 60 to the 200. If not, tell us the brand of drive and we can probably find what you need Are you sure it's Meg and not Gig?

Collapse -
"Windows XP Home Edition" = limited clone options.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 8, 2007 11:47 PM PST

Windows XP Home Edition has the 127GB limitation which you must obey since there is an issue you don't want to learn about first hand. Go ahead and clone the drive but don't increase drive C past 127GB.

If your machine came with Windows XP Home Edition SP1 or Windows XP Home Edition SP2 then this is not an issue.

Bob

Collapse -
What are you talking about?
by The Masked Villain / December 14, 2007 11:30 AM PST

What are you talking about (127GB limit with XP)? My C: drive is 500GB, my D: drive is 250GB, and I have no issues with XP at all. I think someone has been pulling your leg.

Collapse -
More details at link.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 15, 2007 2:19 AM PST
http://www.48bitlba.com has full details.

I strongly suggest you catch up with this old initial version of XP. It didn't do USB 2.0 either!

Bob
Collapse -
Win XP Home limitations
by Rich Janke / December 15, 2007 4:04 AM PST
In reply to: More details at link.

Bob; I wasn't aware of any Win XP Home limitation on hard drive size (My Win XP-equipped laptops' drives have all been less than 120GB.)

For my last desktop, a Win98SE machine, I purposely stayed at 120MB for a replacement drive but I had thought that the Windows XP Service Packs 1 & 2 took care of that. (http://www.48bitlba.com/winxp.htm seems to imply that.) Or are you saying that geehon1999 has a pre-Service Pack edition of XP? - 'Appreciate all your help in answering all these posts - I learn a lot.

Collapse -
Let's answer the big one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 15, 2007 4:13 AM PST

The issue is simple. Since XP (no SP1 or 2 on the CD) does not support over 127GB boot drives I have to issue a warning when "XP" is noted. Imagine the poor soul that uses clone software and expands the C drive to over 127GB then they need to repair the OS.

You can imagine what happens next. The XP CD can't touch that drive and we have no way to add over 127GB support to said CD.

Yes there is that slipstreaming method but for most that's the deep end of the pool where the crocs live.

Bob

Collapse -
Cloning software
by Noizxland / December 11, 2007 5:42 AM PST

You can use special cloning software to move all content (including os, data and all your apps) to a new hdd. E.g. Acronis Migrate Easy. You can trensfer all content form old hd to a new bigger one and ME creates proportional partitions,you can also change the size, delete or create new partitions.
http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/migrateeasy/

Collapse -
It is easy to copy
by nlmsanto46 / December 14, 2007 12:20 PM PST
In reply to: Cloning software

Make your new hard drive as a master and install the system in this driver and place the 60 Mb o Gb as an slave and then you copy the information onto the bigger drive

Collapse -
keep the 60, add the 200
by Robocoastie / December 14, 2007 1:35 PM PST

Keep Windows on the 60GB one and just add your new drive. Then use your new drive as a media and documents drive since I'm sure that's what you plan on using it for.

I personally think you'll be much happier having windows and the programs on its own drive and data on the other.

Collapse -
I disagree---
by o2cui2i / December 14, 2007 7:41 PM PST

most likely the new drive is a faster drive than the old 60GB. So I would definitely use acronis to copy the drive. us the entire 200 GB for c and use the 60 GB as storage for things you dont access often and for things you really want to keep. if XP ever, God forbid, does crash your pictures and documents will be safe on the 60 GB drive.

as for master and slave. making both discs cable select is the easiest.then you can change the drive letter in acronis or in xp by way of control panel/administrative tools/computer management/ disk management.

good luck

Collapse -
data transfer
by MHKENO / January 4, 2008 12:57 AM PST

each hard manfacture has data transfer software.one drive must be from the manfacture,(the other does't matter) of the software used ie Western digital data lifegard Maxtro has there's ect.free for personal use.i've used both and they the size limitations.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.