Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

How do I tell for sure that I am being spied on?

by mra10 / January 14, 2010 9:17 AM PST

I am pretty sure that the person that I share an internet connection is watching what I do online. Is this even possible? I use VOIP and messenger also...could he see what I type/hear what I say. This person is works in computers and I pay for use of his network via a wireless connection. How can I prove that he is doing this? I'm totally creeped out.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I tell for sure that I am being spied on?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I tell for sure that I am being spied on?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Don't panic
by Donna Buenaventura / January 14, 2010 11:19 AM PST
Collapse -
by mra10 / January 14, 2010 1:00 PM PST
In reply to: Don't panic

i scanned with malware bytes and nothing showed up...does that mean he isn't spying?

Collapse -
Hard to tell unless you have a tool that says it's clear
by Donna Buenaventura / January 14, 2010 1:54 PM PST
In reply to: Nothing
Collapse -
no malware but....
by mra10 / January 15, 2010 3:26 AM PST
Collapse -
Yes, tt will help to monitor
by Donna Buenaventura / January 15, 2010 3:32 AM PST
In reply to: no malware but....

by looking at router's log or any tool.
Depends on what application you will use though but for programs that will make sure that no one is spying on you, monitoring what you are doing, you need anti-spyware, anti-malware or anti-keylogger et al.

Check first your log, if you're behind a router. That will only show who connected to your network but not who watches what you do or type.

Collapse -
thank you for your help....
by mra10 / January 15, 2010 4:45 AM PST

The thing is...I don't have access to the router. Only he does...connection is in his name.

Collapse -
Unfortunately, there are many ways to spy on a computer
by tek-ed / January 15, 2010 9:14 AM PST

Check for physical devices. Is there a key capture device plugged into your computer anywhere? Weird bulge in your Keyboard cable? or a strange USB key that you don't know anything about?
Barring this, check to see if you have a rootkit installed on your computer. Do a google search to find install rootkits. There are several well documented rootkit finders out there you can use.
Other than this, there really is no way to protect your network communications...you can run tools like NetMon or ethereal on any computer connected to the network and sniff all traffic that travels on the network. This means that anything you communicate with over the network that is *NOT* an SSL connection (https://xxx.com) is sent in clear-text. This includes passwords, and anything you send. This is possible even if you are using a WEP wireless connection! All someone needs to do is plug an ethernet cable into the router and all traffic is immediately identifiable to the person running the sniffing tool. And there really is nothing you can do. really....nothing. Well...kinda...you can send all email correspondence encrypted using PGP. This will prevent anyone from snooping on your email, but this means that your recipient will need your public key to read the mail. This can be a pain.
There are only three ways I can think of to make sure that your network traffic is safe:
1) Tunnel all your traffic through a VPN. Unless you have one set up for work or something, this is not very feasible.
2) If you're wireless, check to see if there is an open wireless access point you can connect to.
3) If you have a smartphone, you may be able to tether your computer and use your smartphone as your connection.

Other than this, I know that there is a way to detect if someone is sniffing network traffic by searching for promiscuous NICs...but the method escapes me for now
web/gadget guru

Collapse -
I am being hacked
by Baxterbuddy / May 24, 2010 3:42 AM PDT

Please tell me what to do..

Collapse -
What to do.
by Kees Bakker / May 24, 2010 3:54 AM PDT
In reply to: I am being hacked

1. Start a new thread, in stead of entering something half way an old one.
2. Tell much more than you do now.

Collapse -
Basterbuddy, Please Start Your Own Thread
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 24, 2010 3:57 AM PDT
In reply to: I am being hacked

Since the specifics of your situation will differ from the topic you've jumped into here, please click on the link below which will take you to the security forum's main page. In the upper right, click on the "Create a new thread" button, then post your topic.. Please give us as much information as possible including the computer type, operating system, type of internet connection you have and anything else that might help us diagnose your situation.. Most importantly, WHY do you think you're being hacked? Give us clues to work with.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Get your own connection if $$ allows!
by not-a-clue / January 15, 2010 9:46 AM PST

I shared a connection with someone years ago and cut it off quick. He was surfing XXX sites and I was getting emails and all kinds of other phishing emails because of it. Confronted him about it and he was ignorant enough to let me check his surfing habits that he didn't realize remained in his system. I cut him off immediately and thankfully he moved out the next week.
I don't care what any one else says, don't share your Internet service with anybody unless you trust them with your life these days!

Collapse -
He can't spy just having access to the router
by Slackenerny / January 15, 2010 1:57 PM PST

He needs to get something (software (malware) or hardware (some USB dongle)) in the victim's system to spy on someone. That means the fact that he has access to the router doesn't really offer him that much of an advantage in terms of spying. But I'm only talking about encrypted communications only!!!!! Bank sessions and Skype are encrypted for example. Looking at CNET forums is not. If your particular session is not encrypted, then yes, he could spy on you theoretically by the mere fact he has access to the router.

There's a Chinese saying, "if you employ someone don't doubt him, if you don't trust someone don't employ him". If you just don't trust that person that perhaps just get your own connection.

Collapse -
Contact your IP's security department they might be .......
by Dango517 / January 15, 2010 4:05 PM PST

able to track your connection for security breaches. If anyone can find or identify a problem they can.

See how's connecting to your PC through your firewall. Disable those that have no business accessing your PC.

Make sure remote assist is disabled and use the UAC on Windows Vista and Windows 7 OS's.

Collapse -
See this item .............
by Dango517 / January 15, 2010 4:24 PM PST
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.