How To

Question

How do i stream my laptop to my television?

by jamesj47 / June 30, 2011 4:07 AM PDT

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do i stream my laptop to my television?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do i stream my laptop to my television?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
by t8kiteasy / June 30, 2011 4:11 AM PDT

Need to know the laptop you are using and the T.V. you have to answer this one.

Collapse -
Additional info to TV question.
by jamesj47 / June 30, 2011 4:32 AM PDT

I have a Toshiba Satellite A665-S5170 and also have a wireless broadband network connection. I have a new Vizio 37" TV (model XVT373SV) that is internet enabled. We are able to access Netflix movies on the TV through the wireless network. Do I need to purchase another device to be able to connect the laptop to the TV?

Collapse -
Answer
Let's guess you want your laptop display on the TV.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 30, 2011 4:19 AM PDT

Today's solutions are WiDi and Wireless HDMI.

However both are useless when it comes to games. The delays are too long.
Bob

Collapse -
Yes, I want to display the laptop screen
by jamesj47 / June 30, 2011 4:37 AM PDT

I am not trying to display games. But I would like to display a Skype connection.

Collapse -
Yes, I want to display the laptop screen
by t8kiteasy / June 30, 2011 4:43 AM PDT

You can connect it to the T.V. by either DVI,VGA,or HDMI.I have the Vizio 32" and i connect thru DVI connection on my system.I'm not sure of all the connections the 37" has but i know it has HDMI.
Connecting thru HDMI the sound will not come thru unless it has the new standard of HDMI (which being 2 years old on the PC) i'm sure it is not capable.You will be able to see the Skype connection thru VGA,or DVI connection to the T.V.Once connected select the output on the Vizio to RGB and then select extended view on the laptop(f8) to toggle between displays.

Collapse -
Connecting a laptop to a television
by Vegaslarry / June 30, 2011 4:45 AM PDT

You need to supply more information on your laptop. My Dell has a HDMI output so a simple cable connection is all I need. If your laptop has a video output jack then obtain the correct cable and connect the two. If you have a HDMI jack you can go wireless too.

Collapse -
Additional Laptop Info.
by jamesj47 / June 30, 2011 5:22 AM PDT

Between my laptop and docking station, I have a variety of ports, including several USBs, an Ethernet, and an HDMI port. You said, if I have a HDMI jack (does that mean port?) I can go wireless. Do I need to buy a device to plug into the HDMI port to do that? Your other alternative was connecting the two by HDMI cable. The latter sounds like I would purchase an HDMI cable and move the laptop as close to the TV as the length of the cable. Would any other hardware be needed?

Collapse -
Additional Laptop Info
by t8kiteasy / June 30, 2011 5:29 AM PDT

You would just need to purchase an HDMI cable,you can purchase them in a variety of lengths up to 14ft,and i think 21ft is the longest.You connect one end to the laptop and the other end goes to the HDMI port on the T.V.You then set the output on the t.v. to either HDMI1,or HDMI2(whichever is not in use).To go wireless yes you would need to purchase something like Push2TV box in order to be wirelessly connected.

Collapse -
Thank you.
by jamesj47 / June 30, 2011 6:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Additional Laptop Info

Thanks for the info.

Collapse -
Answer
by pebbles6408 / June 30, 2011 11:59 AM PDT

zI would recommend two methods.
1- Check manufacturer manual or with tech support (phone # listed in manual). Also, most manufacture manuals are available on line.
I've had lots of success with talking to Customer service or Tech support for different products.
2- Other various product are available to do this. You need to review some and see what features you want and determine your budget.
I've seen wired and wireless solutions $40-$200. Example webpage for info is- http://www.pcsuperstore.com/products/10355916-KWorld-KWSA235.html

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.