Computer Help forum

General discussion

How do I Stop/Turn off or Remove' Run As '.

by sillytrucker1 / July 10, 2007 12:21 AM PDT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi
I have just started getting a box pop up every time I go to use an
application/program on my PC.
It says:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Which user account do you want to use this program?

Current user (my user name)

Protect my computer and data from unauthorized program activity

This option can prevent computer viruses from harming your computer or
personal data,but selecting it might cause the program to function improperly.

The following user:

User name:

Password:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It has only just started happening and it is really getting on my nerves.
I would be really grateful for any help in stopping this thing popping up
every time I want to use something.
I am running XP Home with SP2 .

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I Stop/Turn off or Remove' Run As '.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I Stop/Turn off or Remove' Run As '.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What did you install just before ...
by Edward ODaniel / July 10, 2007 3:29 AM PDT

you started getting the pop-ups?

You might try a System Restore to a restore point immediately prior to the problem if you don't remember what you installed (whose configuration or removal would likely also do the trick).

Collapse -
sillytrucker1
by tomron / July 10, 2007 5:48 AM PDT
Collapse -
TOM
by sillytrucker1 / July 11, 2007 12:24 PM PDT
In reply to: sillytrucker1

Yes it looks like that. Is there anyway of by passing it or deleting it? Thanks

Collapse -
by sillytrucker1
by tomron / July 11, 2007 1:02 PM PDT
In reply to: TOM

In the link I provided it says "To safely launch a suspicious program or shortcut, right-click it and choose Run As"

Are you right clicking on the program or file,then click run as?

This seems to be part of XP,new to me.

Also this LINK seems to confirm this.

I guess the way to avoid this is not to right click and click run as,but I could be mistaken,what do I know. Happy

Tom

Collapse -
Tom
by sillytrucker1 / July 11, 2007 9:16 PM PDT
In reply to: by sillytrucker1

No, I am not right clicking on anything to get this message. It pops up when I want to go to a Program and also after Windows XP downloads. This is happening to my brother in Virgina too. Thanks

Collapse -
Possible solition
by tomron / July 11, 2007 10:33 PM PDT
In reply to: Tom
Collapse -
Also
by tomron / July 11, 2007 10:40 PM PDT
In reply to: Possible solition

In one of the links I provided there is a solution in the registry.

Collapse -
Tom
by sillytrucker1 / July 12, 2007 2:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Also

I am the only one using this computer. I understand this is a security thing but I thnk one of my games will not play on it because of it, plus it is very annoying. It just appearred one day and going back in time didn't help. Any solutions on it or is it just better to leave it alone. Gene

Collapse -
(NT) Did you try the registry solution?
by tomron / July 12, 2007 2:08 PM PDT
In reply to: Tom
Collapse -
Two items of interest for you.
by Cursorcowboy / July 11, 2007 10:12 PM PDT

1. "Doug Knox, "Corrects a problem where double clicking a shortcut displays a Run As dialog."

2. The article [Q294676] states you can run programs as a different user than the currently-logged on user provided the RunAs service (installed by Windows and started by default automatically, and accept only password authentication) as well as the Secondary Logon service is running -- the same services with different names. This step-by-step article describes how to enable and use the Run As command.

Collapse -
curserboy
by sillytrucker1 / July 12, 2007 1:43 PM PDT

Trojan Guard found a Trojan in you link. I had to use GO Back to rid it. If you didn't know it you better ck it out.

Collapse -
I Found No Such Trojan... Trojan Guard?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 13, 2007 4:46 AM PDT
In reply to: curserboy

Are you using that 'little known' antispyware program called "Disspy"? Or are you using something eles? Just a note: Beware of false positives. I'm not sure what your "Trojan Guard" hit on but it would be nice to know a specific name for the trojan that was detected.. I found nothing which indicated a trojan.

I saw two links in Cursorcowboy's post.. One was to a Microsoft KnowledgeBase site and the other to the DougKnox site.. Both are reputable and even the download suggested at the DoubKnox site is safe as well.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
dougknox
by sillytrucker1 / July 13, 2007 11:55 AM PDT

It was the DougKnox link. When I click on the link it shows "Xp Run As short cut fix.exe I have a program called "Trojan Guarder Gold Version' At any rate when I dl it there was a trojan found and it supposed of destoryed it. Then I went to my Kodak icon on my desktop and it wouldn't work and several others, so I wound up hitting Go Back and everything is working again. Have you tried this link?

Collapse -
I stand Corrected
by sillytrucker1 / July 13, 2007 12:33 PM PDT

Sorry, don't know why a Trojan alert came up and giving you the benfit of the doubt I reran the link and now everything is fine. Special Thanks to everyone who helped me with this problem. Gene

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.