Android

Question

how do I stop my Droid from updating apps.

by pushedinplace / June 24, 2013 3:45 AM PDT

I have a Pantech breakout and it has about 300 mb and my apps are updating on there own now and I dislike this. It is slowing my phone down. I uninstall the new updates but they just update again. And since the google play store updated I cant UNclick on the automatic update button. I dont use the apps that keep updating like slackers, and google books and street view. Help me

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: how do I stop my Droid from updating apps.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: how do I stop my Droid from updating apps.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
On my android
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 24, 2013 3:50 AM PDT

I only need to uninstall unused apps and for my phone, the other apps you can't uninstall have a disable button in place of the uninstall.

I'm going to shortchange you here as basic Android skills would be used.
Bob

Collapse -
help I have 32mb left
by pushedinplace / June 26, 2013 5:08 AM PDT
In reply to: On my android

I,hit uninstall updates then I go to the play store and it shows me "open and update". No disable . I hate the automatic update

Collapse -
Updating.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / June 26, 2013 5:22 AM PDT
In reply to: help I have 32mb left

Did you uninstall the unused apps as Bob suggested?

Dafydd.

Collapse -
yes
by pushedinplace / June 27, 2013 3:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Updating.

Yes I have but they are factory apps and keep,updating

Collapse -
Again
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 27, 2013 3:24 AM PDT
In reply to: yes

I can't find your exact model and manual to look over. I have to leave you to your troubles and carrier.

Here it's a non-issue but I do encounter folk with some devices that have too small a RAM installed and they struggle. My thought and I hope you don't take offense is they learn to not get such a device again.
Bob

Collapse -
We are the Borg
by birdmantd Forum moderator / June 26, 2013 7:58 AM PDT

Resistance is futile.

Collapse -
Sorry
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 26, 2013 9:12 AM PDT

I'd have to find a good manual that matches your phone. Here, this is a non-issue. Since I don't use some apps why would I ever "open and update" them? Let them eat static.
Bob

Collapse -
same issue
by PammyLou75 / July 3, 2013 4:08 PM PDT
In reply to: On my android

I have the same phone, same issues. I went to the provider and they installed, deleted things, and he did not know how to keep the automatic updates from happening. One thing that helped was making Facebook UN-sync. Basically I don't automatically have phone numbers show up.
Good luck!

Collapse -
Have you tried.....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / July 4, 2013 12:06 AM PDT
In reply to: same issue

.....to contact the phone manufacturer ??? Your cellular provider can only do so much troubleshooting.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
playstore auto update
by j_byrd96 / July 29, 2013 8:57 AM PDT

your problem is not your phone its how you set your acct at Google play store go to play store and pull up your menu screen and change your settings. At some point it asked you if you wanted automatic updates and you clicked yes maybe on the permissions page.If you cant find the setting factory reset and make sure you read what your clicking. It happens all the time.

Collapse -
when Google Play updates
by gambet1234 / January 5, 2014 6:09 AM PST
In reply to: playstore auto update

This is not true. Every time Google Play updates (behind your back) it reverts the setting to Auto-Update Apps on WiFi Only (also behind your back) and starts updating all your apps. It gives you no choice. This behavior is malicious. I have apps that I DO NOT WANT updated. Google has ruined certain apps for me because I didn't have a backup of the old apk. It has made some games that I've put money into no longer play because the newer version doesn't work on my phone. Google sucks.

Collapse -
Answer
Another thing to try:
by blondiethezombie / July 30, 2013 4:41 AM PDT

You can try doing what another person suggested - the Google Play settings for automatic updates. However, you can also manage when your phone sends and receives data at all and any given time. (Perhaps you already knew about this, but figuring with your current issue you should try it).

Turn off background data/data enabler. Check in your settings to see if you can adjust it to where your phone may only update widgets/apps while connected to Wi-Fi. I know how pesky and sneaky Android apps are. They love to constantly search for new information and updates. There are multiple ways to tell your phone when it can and cannot access your mobile network. You don't just have to rely on Google Play's settings. Go into your phone's settings and look for any of the following:

* Accounts & sync
* Battery & data management
* Data saver/data delivery
*Application management

I do have a Pantech Breakout in my case for sale now.
I am fairly certain you have the option of data management. But again, different Droids have it listed under different settings. But all can be found within the main settings app.

This type of control allows you to cut off all data that is being sent and received on your phone - thus telling those stinky apps to suck it! Happy

It's not the cure all - but trust me, this helps A LOT. I only have 250MB, and I never run out. Because I keep those settings unchecked until I need to use them.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.