Samsung forum

General discussion

How do I setup wireless headphone on Samsung lcd tv with dig

by nAzGirl / April 11, 2011 9:53 AM PDT

I am writing this after trying tons of things and doing lots of research on the web and making too many purchases to try and get this to work. And I have still had no luck in doing this properly

So, I was wondering if you can help me out here. I really want to get this done, and I am so close to figuring it out!

Here is what's going on:

I have bought a Samsung LCD TV, and I am trying to install a wireless headphone on it, for my dad, who used to use headphones all the time with the previous TV.

1. This TV has a digital optical audio out exit at the back it.

2. I have bought a wireless senheisser headphone that comes with analog rca audio cables and a digital audio cable. The headphone's transmitter has a "digital in" audio cable.
So, the TV's optical audio signal has to be converted in a way to digital audio out. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
In order to achieve this, I have bought a TOSLINK optical audio to coaxial (rca) converter, along with a toslink optical cable that goes IN the converter. And what comes OUT of the converter is the digital cable, mentioned previously, that came with the headphone purchase.

So, altogether, the TOSLINK optical audio cable is connected to TV, from one side, and connected to the converter from the other side. Then, I have the headphone's digital audio connected to the OUT side of the converter, and the other side connected to wireless transmitter.

With this setting, I turn on the headphone and put it on my head, but still no sound!

My guess is that the problem is either with the optical audio cable or the converter. Because I have tested the headphone and know it is working without the optical devices.

I appreciate any help from you.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I setup wireless headphone on Samsung lcd tv with dig
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I setup wireless headphone on Samsung lcd tv with dig
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
How do I setup wireless headphone on Samsung lcd tv with dig
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 12, 2011 3:00 AM PDT

Converters may be expensive, and you might not need it.

What model is the TV? If you're watching TV, look behind where the right speaker would be - there should be a square label that looks like this:

If you can give me the model code, I may be able to assist.

Collapse -
by nAzGirl / April 12, 2011 4:20 AM PDT

Hello, Samsung_HD_Tech and thanks for your reply.

Yes, the model # is: LN40C500F3F
and the model code is: LN40C500F3FXZA

The converter itself wasn't that expensive, around $15. The wireless headphone was expensive, though, $215.00.

The headphone I have is a sennheiser RS 180, if that helps.

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 12, 2011 7:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Hi

That helps, thanks!

Okay, so rather than sending the signal through the TV speakers, we want to send it to the external speakers, in this case the headphones. We'll change the settings in the TV with the remote by pressing on the remote:

Menu > Sound > Speaker Select > External

Now, you were correct in that there's only an optical out on this specific model of TV. So the optical converter is going to be necessary in this case. (Most of our TVs also have RCA outs, but not this specific model).

Also, I referenced the model from the Sennheiser instructions here, which seems to be the setup instructions for the RS180, but I can't officially confirm that (because it's not a Samsung product, please understand why I have to be all formal on this).$File/RS180_US_INT.pdf

Seems like everything else (RCA) would be connected properly, though if you don't have that manual, try referencing that to see if it works.

The way I see it, the TV setting listed above may be the only thing keeping you from getting the audio signal.

Collapse -
by nAzGirl / April 12, 2011 7:45 AM PDT

Thanks so much! I will try that tonight after work, to see if it works.
I was worried that the optical cables may be the issue.

So, one question, though, if I change the settings, will I still be able to get sound through both TV itself and the headphone? or is it either or? I hope I can get both Happy

Collapse -
It didn't work :(
by nAzGirl / April 12, 2011 11:39 AM PDT

Hi hdtech,

I just tried the TV settings that you mentioned and still it didn't work Sad
The TV sound went mute, but I didn't hear anything on the headphones.
Anyways, that wasn't the ideal situation in the first place. I would want to have both TV and headphone speakers on.

Do you have any other suggestions on what could be wrong? I keep thinking it is the model of the other components.
I have listed the components models below. Please take a look and if you can, please get back to me at your earliest convenience. Thanks!

Samsung LCD TV

Model #: LN40C500F3F
Type No. : LN40C500

Sennheiser RS 180 Digital Wireless Headphone System
Model#: RS 180

Link: Sennheiser RS 180 Digital Wireless Headphone System with Automatic Level Control and Adustable Balance Control: Electronics

TOSLINK converter

Optical Toslink to Coaxial (RCA) Digital Audio Converter (transforms a Toslink Optical Digital Audio signal to an RCA Coaxial (S/PDIF) Digital Audio signal.)

Link: Optical Toslink to Coaxial (RCA) Digital Audio Converter: Electronics

Optical cable: Toslink Digital Optical Audio Cable 6 ft. Toslink Digital Optical Audio Cable 6 ft.: Electronics

3 FT Digital Audio Optical TOSLink Cable Optic 3ft 3 FT Digital Audio Optical TOSLink Cable Optic 3ft: Electronics

Collapse -
any ideas?
by nAzGirl / April 13, 2011 5:42 AM PDT
In reply to: It didn't work :(

Does anyone have a better idea?

Collapse -
It didn't work :(
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 13, 2011 5:54 AM PDT

The problem is likely at the converter level. Typically this would be something that would be supported by a receiver. Even a bookshelf stereo system with optical in would probably be able to provide the connectivity you're looking for.

The other possibility, and this is a slight one, would be that the optical signal isn't working. In the back of the TV, you should see a red light emitting from the optical port.

The more probable possibility would be that the optical cord is faulty.

Without testing it, I can't determine. Sorry.

Collapse -
by nAzGirl / April 13, 2011 6:52 AM PDT

I do see a red light emitting out of the optical cable, so I know it is working. But I have doubted the converter functionality as well.

Anyways, I thought of a new way to tackle this issue. Doing this directly from the TV audio out (even if it worked), means I can either get TV speaker OR external speaker, which is not what I want.

So, I was wondering if you can help me out with my new plan.
The satellite receiver that we use, has one set of Red and White RCA audio outs. Currently, these are connected to the back of the TV via a set of rca cables.
Now, since I want to get both TV input and headphone input from this receiver, I was thinking that I should buy a device, that I can connect both these rca audio cables AND the rca cables from the headphone to, and through a third set of rca cables, connect this to the back of the receiver. That way I can get sound from both TV and speaker.
Do you have an idea on how I can do this and what kind of device would do that for me? Please remember that I need to get both tv and headphone audio at the same time.

Collapse -
I figured out how to do it!
by nAzGirl / April 14, 2011 9:41 AM PDT

This question is now resolved. Thanks.

Collapse -
same problem - help!
by paolomilan / September 23, 2011 7:40 AM PDT

My goal is to be able to hear from BOTH the headphones and the tv speakers

- Philips wireless headphones with headphone jack
- Samsung tv (UE40D5500) with headphone jack socket

The only other device connected to the tv is a dvd player without jack socket

How should I change the tv settings?

Collapse -
Might try customer service....
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / September 26, 2011 6:48 AM PDT
In reply to: same problem - help!

You might try the customer service center in your region for clarification.

Collapse -
RE: Connecting wirless headphones to a Plasma TV/Home Theatr
by sdwyer78 / January 3, 2012 10:46 PM PST

RE: Connecting wireless headphones to a Plasma TV/Home Theatre

I read this entire post and it's close to what I'm going through, except with a Samsung Plasma TV (Model: PN51D8000FF) a Samsung Blu-Ray DVD/Home Theatre (Model: HT-D6500W) and Sennheiser USA headphones (Model: RS 120) and an RCN HD/Tivo cablebox. I want to hear through the headphones OR the Home Theatre.

Samsung's connectivity between their devices and my cable box was already extremely lacking (I'm still using 3 remotes where only half the buttons on each talk to any other device). There is only one digital optical OUT on the TV and one digital optical and one RCA out on the cable box. No headphone jack on the TV. I've hooked the headphones up the the digital optical OUTs via a converter and directly through the RCA OUT and don't hear anything except a random radio/CB broadcast and the Food Network (probably from someone else's TV). I'ved called both Samsung's and Sennheiser's customer service and they were not able to help.

How did you eventually connect your headphones? Any other solutions here?

If have to start over with a new set-up, are there any recommendations for something comparable that will support wireless headphones?

Thank you.

Collapse -
Returned everything and started over
by sdwyer78 / July 16, 2012 4:15 AM PDT

Replying to my original post: My Samsung Blu-Ray DVD/Home Theatre (Model: HT-D6500W) ended up malfunctioning (speakers weren't giving consistent sound) so I returned them and started over, buying a Yamaha Home Theatre system (YHT-495BL) which included a separate receiver and speakers. I paired it with a Samsung Blu-Ray player (BD-E6500). When I want to listen to sound through the wireless headphones, I just plug the cable from the headphone base into the receiver's mic jack (I don't need to listen to both the headphones and the TV sound). Works great. After speaking with Best Buy sales associates and Samsung reps, the Samsung home theatres/Plasma TVs were designed well for external devises, especially headphones - better going with a separate Receiver.

Collapse -
Connecting analog wireless head sets to a Samsung TV
by millertimesr / December 30, 2013 11:57 AM PST

You can't connect analog audio headsets to Samsung TV with optical audio. Even if you did, you couldn't hear both at the same time. However, there is a very easy solution to connect both and hear from both. Your TV is probably connected to you cable box via HDMI. Just take an RCA white/red audio cable and connect it to the white/red audio jacks of the cable box and the other end to the wireless headphone base. They will both work just fine with full independent vol. levels on both. I hope this helps. Bob M.

Collapse -
Further question
by SteveBuck123 / April 6, 2014 11:29 AM PDT

Thank you, your suggestion of connecting the wireless headphones to the Xfinity cable box works just fine, for TV channels. But, on my Samsung Smart TV when I switch from TV channels to options like Netflix and HBO Go, the wireless headphones keep playing the last TV channel I was on instead of the proper audio. I can hear the audio fine through the TV speakers, but want to turn the TV speakers down and listen on the wireless headphones to, say Netflix, also. Any suggestions?

Collapse -
Just a FYI.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 6, 2014 11:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Further question

I see that question a lot in the Samsung Forum. As the audio source is the cable box, you may have to re-think your solution when you need the audio source to be the HDTV.

This thread is more than 1091 days old.

Collapse -
Everything works with this suggestion
by mallardcaller / January 9, 2015 10:00 AM PST

I have a plasma samsung tv. Could not find a place to get my wireless head phones plugged in. on the TV. The suggestion above, plugging the RCA red/whits cables into the back of the cable box works beautifully. I can mute the surround sound system and listen to headphones or use both. So nice to find an easy solution to this problem.

Thanks Bob M!!!

Collapse -
I have the same problem as you!
by waugusta / March 6, 2012 2:33 AM PST

Could you post your solution, I have the same issue as you. My father is hearing impaired with wireless headphones, watching tv is alright, but when we want to watch a DVD, he can't hear the audio.

Collapse -
How did U hook wireless headphones to work
by Sumwhattechie / May 7, 2012 11:23 PM PDT

I am trying to hook up wireless headphones for my 91 year old mother to use on her 22" Samsung TV but I want to be able to have the tv speakers work when the headphones are turned off. Right now the headphone jack has to be unplugged/plugged in each time which is not convenient for her. I believe you found the solution, Could it be posted as I think it will solve my problem also. Thanks.....

Collapse -
How to set up wireless headphone on Samsung LCD tv with dig
by Munjarna / July 14, 2012 5:36 PM PDT

Hi Samsung HD tech, I am also struggling with this problem, your solution for nAz girl sounds good but I want to operate my sennheiser wireless headphones and have sound on tv. When I change the sound setting to external speakers I lose all sound through the tv speakers. Being partially deaf I need more volume on tv and my partner much less. This worked fine on my old Samsung, but not on the new LED Smart tv model number AU40ES5500. Any help appreciated. Thanks

Collapse -
Re: Setting Up Wireless Headphones
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 16, 2012 2:29 AM PDT

Hi Munjarna,

Sorry you're experiencing this problem. I looked up your model code, and unfortunately, I can't find any info on it, so I don't know if you read it off correctly. But just so you know, if you want Samsung support, I support US products and customers.

So if you're from Australia (guessing from the AU prefix), I don't have the information to be able to help you directly; however, if you want Samsung help, here's the Samsung Country selection portal:

But we got a nice little community here that includes people from everywhere in the world, and they might have a few other suggestions to help you out.

Hope this helps you!
HD Tech

Collapse -
by ritenuto / March 4, 2012 7:58 PM PST

My problem was that when I plugged my wireless headphones into the Headphone socket behind the tv the sound of the tv cut out which was not welcomed by others in the house who also wanted to hear the TV.

My solution was to connect the TV via the phone sockets at the back of the Sky box to my Marantz amp which then sent the sound through my speakers. I then simply plugged my headphones into the headphone socket on the front of the amp. I also had to connect my DVD player through the amp and all is OK.

Hope this helps

Collapse -
How do I get Sony wireless head phones to work?

I have a samsung plasma tv _hp-s5053. and when I plug in the sony mdr_rf925rk wireless head set into the headphone jack nothing happens. What do i need to do? From the looks of these other emails it is a problem that samsung needs to address. Dwight

Collapse -
I suggest you make a new post.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 4, 2013 4:18 AM PDT

This discussion is years old and you want the best replies. That usually happens in a new post.

Head to (that's the Samsung CNET forum) and use the big red button with the "Get Started Here" on it.

Collapse -
Samsung 7000 & 8000 series Plasma TV's
by jmbell48 / June 6, 2014 3:24 AM PDT

These TV's only have a Digital output so no headset wireless or wired can connect to it directly.
I went to Radio Shack and got a Digital to analog audio adapter. You will also need a fibre audio cable.
Cost for converter about $40.00 and the cable about 15.00. I had one so I did not have to buy one.
This will give you RCA right and left as output. Your wired or wireless headset should have the rest. The volume is constant and is not effected from the volume set on the TV so you can set it to zero and use the volume on the headset to control it.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.