Samsung forum

General discussion

How do I set my Samsung HDTV to 1080p?

by ManicRaider / April 23, 2010 10:50 PM PDT

First off I'd like to apologize if this is a dumb question but my HD cable box does not have any type of buttons that will let me change resolution or anything like that. Also my HDTV keeps saying the source is in 720p when I know for sure that some of the channels I view are in 1080p. The model is LN46B550.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I set my Samsung HDTV to 1080p?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I set my Samsung HDTV to 1080p?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
How do I set my Samsung HDTV to 1080p?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 28, 2010 3:42 PM PDT

ManicRaider,

Everyone starts somewhere, so there are no dumb questions here. Happy

If the TV is a 1080p TV, then it has a 1080p panel. Meaning that regardless of the signal coming in, the picture is processed (and if necessary, upconverted) to 1080p resolution. So basically, whatever picture you put into the TV, it will show it at 1080p. The closer it is to 1080p, the better the picture quality will typically be.

What you're seeing with the INFO bar (where it lists resolution and Hz) is the resolution and Hz rating of the INCOMING signal. In most cases, broadcast HD signals are 720p and 1080i - not very many signals are actually broadcast in 1080p for bandwidth reasons. (It's very expensive for the broadcasters). So, as the 720p and 1080i signals are HD signals, but that's how they are coming in.

If you have a Blu-Ray player, or game console, or attached box, there are some cases where you can increase the resolution from the source, but that has to be done in the menu of the game console or the cable/sat box. When you have a game console or a Blu-Ray player, this is a good indication of what your source settings are.

Does that help?

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Samsung c8000 55"tv
by mgaudet1 / May 16, 2010 5:18 AM PDT

I asked this question on another forum, it must be too dumb to answer.

I just bought the above tv, does it convert signals from 1080i to 1080p? When you press the info button, you get 1920x1080 @60 hz. It doesn't say whether it's 1080P or I.
Thanks

Collapse -
Samsung c8000 55"tv
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 17, 2010 12:36 PM PDT
In reply to: Samsung c8000 55"tv

mgaudet1,

I think I answered this on a different forum. If not, let me know.

But all signals will upconvert to 1080p if you have a 1080p. The C8000 is a 1080p resolution televisions, so yes, it will upconvert to 1080p.

The INFO bar is showing you what the incoming signal is. In some cases, such as DVD players, Blu-Ray players and cable/sat boxes, you can increase the resolution at the source and get a better picture.

--HDTech

Collapse -
1080p
by mgaudet1 / May 17, 2010 11:00 PM PDT
In reply to: Samsung c8000 55"tv

Thanks for answering that, now I understand that part. My last question on this subject is this: my receiver upconverts to 1080p also, so if it upconverts and the tv also does, is it hurting the picture quality by both trying to upconvert?
Thanks

Collapse -
1080p
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 18, 2010 11:03 AM PDT
In reply to: 1080p

mgaudet1,

Okay, so now we have to determine which upconversion processor is better. If the receiver has a really good processor, then it's better to let the receiver do the work. Some people have HQV-brand processing chips, which some say are the best on the market. Samsung makes their own upconversion chip, which is an excellent processor, and gets very respectable reviews as well.

So there's no "correct" answer, it's based on which picture looks best, and that would be determined by which unit is doing the upconversion. To do that, adjust the receiver's resolution and see if you like the picture better. If you lower the resolution output on the receiver to 1080i or 720p and like the picture better, then you like the TV's upconversion better. If you send the signal at 1080p, and that looks better, then you like the receiver's upconversion process better. Definitely go with what looks best.

The TV, if it's a 120Hz or 240Hz signal, will still take any of the incoming signals and make it a 120hz or 240Hz (respective to the TV specs), and the AutoMotion Plus processing will still process the picture if you have it set to do so. But the source signal and conversion process can play a significant part of how the picture turns out.

Let me know what you find.

If you have any other questions, feel free to post them. That's why we're here. Happy

--HDTech

Collapse -
1080p problem
by graboid4 / June 21, 2011 10:31 PM PDT
In reply to: 1080p

im having problem too w/ samsung LN40 A650 series

Collapse -
1080p problem
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 22, 2011 6:58 AM PDT
In reply to: 1080p problem

graboid4,

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.