Samsung

Question

How do I set closed captions?

by birdy1928 / December 26, 2012 8:04 AM PST

Product:

Plasma TV PN43E450:

The only available cc feature splashes the closed captions across the entire screen on a solid black background and in huge letters obscuring much of the real estate.

There are several apparent choices to make changes, but none of them is active and thus cannot be set. Since I depend on closed captions, this is a serious defect because of which I am thinking of returning the item.

I cannot even access the Samsung email department because the last step in the screen questionnaire "what is this question about?" will not allow entering an answer.

Likewise, registering of the product is a nightmare and approaches the same difficulties as requesting secret clearance from the Pentagon.

I hope this forum is monitored by a Samsung guru.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I set closed captions?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I set closed captions?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: How do I set closed captions?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 26, 2012 11:12 PM PST

Hi birdy1928,

Sorry to hear about this. Could you tell me what other devices you're using with this TV, how they're connected, and which ones are behaving this way?

HD Tech

Collapse -
Closed caption selection
by birdy1928 / December 27, 2012 2:31 AM PST

Thank you for your response.

The TV is connected to DishNetwork satellite via a cable. The Samsung remote's channel selections have been transferred to the Dish remote and work well. Of course for picture quality and size, as well as closed captions, we're using the Samsung remote. Nothing else is connected although that should not make a difference since I'll eventually use a DVD player.

I followed the steps beginning with MENU. Have tried all the CC options offered but only DEFAULT works. FYI, the same happened with the previous new flat screen (am not naming the brand!) which I returned after their techy told me that any other options, while not grayed out, were NOT available. Finding the same failure with the Samsung has disappointed me but I don' want to give up. Maybe a software upgrade (via USB dongle) would help.

I don't think it's too much to ask to have a choice of text size and transparency instead of a huge black banner plastered all over the screen. Am not asking for a fancy font or color but just something for which I don't have to move my head from left to right just to read the captioning.

Before posting here, I checked a combination of all other settings.

Have also tried the Samsung website's "email contacts" but the window which asks "what is this question about?" shows the available types from which one is supposed to choose only for a split second. It's not visible long enough to even read any of the possible answers.

I also don't know if my registration went through. The process is far more complicated than it has to be.

Collapse -
Re: Closed caption selection
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 27, 2012 11:50 PM PST

Hi birdy1928,

I think I understand what the problem is you're facing. If the closed captioning feature is grayed out on your TV this means you are on an input that does not carry the CC signal. The only two inputs that carry the CC signal are the coax (RF) and the AV (composite) inputs. Any other input such as component or HDMI does not carry the CC signal so the TV cannot be set to display closed captionings.

Although the TV cannot be set to to decode closed captioning, any device on the market--this includes your Dish Network set top box--that can output through inputs other than coax (RF) and AV (composite) is required to include a decoder for CC.

So based upon what you're describing, the settings are likely in the set top box for changing these settings. Does this help you out?

HD Tech

Collapse -
Closed caption selection
by birdy1928 / December 28, 2012 6:38 AM PST

Closed caption is NOT grayed out on the TV set, it just does not respond or accept any changes to the DEFAULT. The cable set top box accepts captions, after all, the presence of the black banner I am describing proves it.

When I press the MENU button on the Samsung remote and scroll to CC I am faced with a number of choices on the Samsung screen but those choices seem to be cosmetic or are available only on other, pricier models.

Yes, am using using coax (rf) cable. My difficulty is that the Samsung-supplied feature called "Closed Captioning" is offering choices which are NOT grayed out but just not responding. The solid black banner which carries the big, white upper case captions conceals much of the screen's content and is surely something that must have caught the eyes of one of the programmers.

My second TV set, of unnamed brand, also has a number of choices which are freely available with one click. Its default happened not to be acceptable while one of the others suited me fine. That kind of choice I am looking for on the Samsung and is present in the CC menu but refuses to be set. There are 4 types of CC plus several types of text offered but only the one called DEFAULT actually works.

We are forced to watch the shows in 4:3 format since it's the only one that constricts the caption banner in a manner where one doesn't have to turn the head as if watching a tennis game from the bleachers.

The problem could be software-based but I suspect it's a feature only available on some other model.

Collapse -
CC captioning selections
by birdy1928 / December 28, 2012 6:57 AM PST

I just tried to send a reply but it got lost when I hit the submit button:

I am using coax (rf) cable to the Samsung from the set top box.

Nothing is grayed out in the CC selection menu on the Samsung but only the default works while none of the other offered choices respond.

Said set top box is working perfectly since it DOES give me closed captions but of a type which consists of a solid black banner with big upper case letters which stretches across most of the screen forcing us to watch in 4:3 format.

I need the steps necessary to select another type of captioning.

Thank you!

Collapse -
Re: CC captioning selections
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 2, 2013 7:09 AM PST

Hi birdy1928,

I'm sorry, but I think the answer I have for you is the same. Even if it's not visibly substantially different, if the system isn't allowing you to select it, then it's not currently a selectable option. So it's likely the DishNetwork set top box has some settings in it to change this.

HD Tech

Collapse -
Color calibration of my new PN 43E450
by birdy1928 / January 2, 2013 2:01 PM PST

1) Please give me the exact steps - beginning with the MENU button (or other) - to access a feature which contains about 5 different choices in a row atop the first window. I remember 5 icons, the middle one consisting of lines resembling a music sheet which represent changeable colors or nuances thereof.

I know about it because I accessed it briefly once by accident. Am not satisfied with the flesh tones and hope that's where they can be reset.

2) Is there an adjustment to the top and bottom margin? Except in 4:3 screen size (which is recommended in the skimpy User Manual to be used with caution...) the tops and/or bottoms are cut off. Please give the steps for this adjustment in all other screen sizes.

3) Should I be checking for software upgrades on a regular basis or are they rare enough that I don't have to worry about missing out on important changes? Is there any information available on calibration or are the settings ruled by location, type of connection, signal strength, etc.?

My previous password was not accepted and I signed up for a new one and hope this will reach you.

Thank you!

G. Vogel

Collapse -
Re: Color calibration of my new PN 43E450
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 4, 2013 2:32 AM PST

Hi G. Vogel,

No problem

1) I believe the menu you're referring to is this one: Menu > Picture > Advanced Settings > White balance

However, there's also a Flesh Tone option that adjusts the amount of red in the screen, if you want to try that option.

2) Depending upon the source, these are the options:

Analog TV, AV, Component -- 16:9, Zoom1, Zoom2, 4:3

Digital TV, Component, HDMI -- 16:9, Wide Fit,4:3, Screen Fit

You can alternate through the available options by pressing the 'P. Size' button on the lower-left area of your remote.

3) (a) Firmware updates used to be rare, but they're more common now as features on TVs have increased. However, since your TV has few Smart TV features, I'd recommend only checking once or twice a year. (b) As far as calibration goes, this is an area that's dependent upon the location and personal preferences.

HD Tech

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.