Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

How do I send a large group of photos via email?

by guesswhoquestionmark / January 27, 2010 4:53 PM PST

I want to send like 100 photos to friends and family overseas and don't want to send a few each email.

Is there a way to send one email with a lump of pics, instead of like 20 emails?

Thanks in advance,
Guess Who

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I send a large group of photos via email?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I send a large group of photos via email?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: sending large group of photo's.
by Kees Bakker / January 27, 2010 5:04 PM PST

Depends. You can attach as many files to mail as you wish. Nothing in principle that wouldn't let you attach 100 pics.

But email providers (both yours and that of the senders) pose a maximum to the size of a mail. It's better to not make a mail bigger than 5 MB to be on the safe side.

So to include 100 pics downgrade or downsize each one to a filesize of 50 KB.

The alternative would be to use some file-sharing services (like Windows Live Spaces or Google docs). You put your files into such a sharing site, give access to your friends and families and them download what they want.

Or burn them to CD and use snail-mail.

Kees

Collapse -
Thanks, but...
by guesswhoquestionmark / January 27, 2010 5:17 PM PST

My dad had asked someone and they told he you can send videos as well. This is his instructions

Import To DVD to the computer as a file

Then right click on file and send as email

Try this on yahoo.

I can't. How do people send videos as well?

Collapse -
(NT) They don't.
by Kees Bakker / January 28, 2010 3:05 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks, but...
Collapse -
Try Picasa from Google
by PC-I / January 29, 2010 9:07 AM PST
In reply to: They don't.

Recommend that you use Picasa to create a web album. You can store photos as well as video. Then it is quite simple to "share" the album be emailing a link to friends and family! Try it, you'll like it.

Collapse -
Try FastStone Image Viewer
by nscave / January 29, 2010 10:35 AM PST

Try FastStone Viewer, its free and does most other things regarding pictures. In regards to email, you can email one or a group just by clicking on the thumbnail. You can resize them all at once to a reasonable size if you like, and it offers to zip them. When ready it opens up your regular email program with them already attached. Its fast and efficient. Nscave.com is not connected with this program in any way. It is one we have used constantly for some time with great success.
(

Collapse -
Zip it up
by msgale / January 29, 2010 10:52 AM PST

Put the individual files in a zip file, and then attach the zip file to your e-mail. The zipping processes is easy to use and will compress the files at the same time.

Collapse -
Reply: How do I send a large group of photos via email
by Clodoveo / January 29, 2010 10:51 AM PST
Collapse -
If it's a jpg file
by louietyj / January 29, 2010 11:23 AM PST

It's already compressed using .zip algorithm, so you can't re-zip them. 100 photos is obviously too much - you have to either split them up into groups that your email provider will accept, or upload the entire bulk of photos to a mirror provider (I like wikifortio.com). If you're going to upload, I would advice you to zip all the files into a zip file (even if it's jpg and does not save any space) for convenience.

Collapse -
JPGs!
by msgale / January 29, 2010 12:24 PM PST
In reply to: If it's a jpg file

ZIP will compress JPEG files. I have just tested it. Compression is about ten percent. JPEG compression is not the same as ZIP compression, ZIP compression is lossless, JPEG is loosy, two distinctly differ methods. My prior ISP, Verizon, allowed a maximum of 10 MByte email attachments, so 100 photos was in the realm of possibilities.

Collapse -
10 MB...
by ust1268 / January 29, 2010 12:44 PM PST
In reply to: JPGs!

is the limit on comcast also

Collapse -
Comcast limit
by msgale / January 29, 2010 3:20 PM PST
In reply to: 10 MB...

I have searched their site, but have been unable to find their limits

Collapse -
yousendit is good
by tattooman1264 / January 29, 2010 12:10 PM PST

try yousendit,it's free up to 100MB

Collapse -
Send it
by paulvive / January 29, 2010 9:07 PM PST

There's a web site "Send it" where you can send large files.

Collapse -
It is much more polite to
by bowacl / January 29, 2010 11:14 PM PST

Upload these pictures to a free online service, using MS Photo Gallery, Google's Picasa, PhotoBucket, sometime even your internet service provider has space and there are more, in all the ones I use the pictures will be sized down to a correct size for posting and viewing or you can choose and then send the link to share this with the people you want to view them, the service will provide you with a way to do this.

This way they have the choice of viewing the pictures and downloading them or not - rather then give them a huge file on their inbox to deal with.

Collapse -
Not just polite
by richteral / January 31, 2010 4:22 AM PST

but also reasonable and practical. Sending that sort of package by email would border on the idiotic unless there were very special reasons (say, original image quality and nothing but). Which I guess is not the case in this instance.

Collapse -
Picasa Web
by billcoh / January 30, 2010 8:17 AM PST

Picasa web( free from Google) is a natural- Put the pictures into Picasa and then follow their instructions. The nice thing about this is that the pictures will be sent by internet instead of email. There is no maximum and the pictures can be sent at full resolution. The recipients can then place them into Picasa or any other photo program as they wish.

Collapse -
(NT) Use Snapfish
by andyr1385 / February 1, 2010 1:43 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.