Windows Vista forum

Question

How do I search for a file [excel spreadsheet] ..

by christy / December 28, 2013 4:23 PM PST

located at an external drive [usb] with three partitions ?

Thanks.

christy

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I search for a file [excel spreadsheet] ..
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I search for a file [excel spreadsheet] ..
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
By name, file type, etc?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 28, 2013 5:00 PM PST

Which method is failing for you?

Mark

Collapse -
By file name at the search box.... (after clicking Start)...
by christy / December 28, 2013 5:45 PM PST

The system does not seem to search external disks,,,,and when I click at the "Search everywhere" option, the window just closes.

TIA, christy.

Collapse -
Does the system
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 28, 2013 6:39 PM PST

recognise the external disks when they are connected?

I mean, does "My Computer", (now called just "Computer" in Vista and above), or Windows Explorer list the external drives, and if so can you navigate through the folders and files on these drives?

Mark

Collapse -
The disks (partitions) are recognized ...
by christy / December 28, 2013 9:32 PM PST
In reply to: Does the system

and appeared under " Computer" and yes, I am able to navigate through the folders without problems.

christy

Collapse -
In that case
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 30, 2013 2:55 AM PST

Kees' option should find the files.

But if you want a more graphic user friendly way, open Windows Explorer or open "Computer", highlight the drive or partition you want to search, and use Explorer's own search option top right of the explorer window.

Mark

Collapse -
Re: searching for a file
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 28, 2013 7:36 PM PST

The command prompt never fails me, if I know the drive letter (only three to try), (part of) the filename and the extension (.xlsx or .xls). For example to search for all xlsx-files with a filename starting with ka on drive g: I type:
dir g:\ka*.xlsx /s (+ enter-key of course).

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.