Samsung forum

General discussion

How do i reset my samsung ln32a330 tv?

by ps2gamer123 / July 9, 2009 3:43 PM PDT

I stupidly went into the service menu, i know i know *stupid*... i didnt touch anything and all i did was scroll thru the menu. I wont go back into the menu but i wanna know if theres a way to do a complete reset on the tv. If i unplug the tv for a day or two would that completely reset it? i know if i press menu for 10 seconds i can reset the user settings but i dont think that has anything to do with the service menu.

I have been trying to find help on this online elsewhere but cant find any answers.

I know i know, i shouldnt have gone into the menu but i wanna do a reset just to make sure i didnt mess anything up. If i changed something would i know i changed it? the only buttons i pressed were up and down and exit. exit didnt do anything so i pressed power to turn the tv off.

thanks in advance.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do i reset my samsung ln32a330 tv?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do i reset my samsung ln32a330 tv?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by ps2gamer123 / July 9, 2009 4:14 PM PDT

also i bought the tv a year ago... should i upgrade the firmware? i have noticed that some dvds i have to turn the volume up to 50 or 60 just to hear it at a normal level and some dvds if i turn it past 30 or 40 it will be very very loud.

only thing my tv is used for is dvds and computer viewing.

im unplugging my tv for a day or two, anything else i can do to reset it other then holding down menu for 10 seconds and resetting the user settings please let me know.

if there is a way to reset it thru the service menu i will go into it just to reset but i would need specific instructions so i dont accidentally do anything to damage the tv.

i hope someone can help.

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 10, 2009 4:30 AM PDT
In reply to: ...

The manual on Page 23 has this information, but for your convenience, I'll post it here:

Resetting the Picture Settings to the Factory Defaults

1. Press the MENU button to display the menu.
Press the ENTER button, to select “Picture”.
2. Press the ▲ or ▼ button to select "Reset", then press the ENTER button.
Press the ▲ or ▼ button to select “OK” or “Cancel” then press the ENTER button.
Press the EXIT button to exit.

Also, I might note that updating the firmware will not likely fix anything having to do with the speaker volume.

The service menu settings aren't changed by anything you do on the User GUI menus of the television, so a reset in the "normal" menu will reset the unit to factory defaults in the "normal" menu, essentially giving you that "out of the box" experience.

That way, you can avoid the service menu altogether and get what you want.

Hope that helps!

Collapse -
by ps2gamer123 / July 10, 2009 12:34 PM PDT

you know what they say, curiosity killed the cat..

i read on a forum online somewhere the code to get into the service menu so i took a peak..

i dont think i changed anything..

i was afraid that by even going into the menu it would do something bad to the tv, thats why i was asking about resetting it..

Ill reset the tv in the "normal" menu.

ill just stay away from the the service menu from now on... thanks..

and about the volume issue.. i think its normal for dvds.

you know the saying... if it aint broke....

all in all i have owned by tv for a year and i love it... well worth every penny.

thanks for the help.

Collapse -
by ps2gamer123 / July 10, 2009 5:00 PM PDT
In reply to: ..

im trying to understand what you said....

"The service menu settings aren't changed by anything you do on the User GUI menus of the television, so a reset in the "normal" menu will reset the unit to factory defaults in the "normal" menu, essentially giving you that "out of the box" experience."

i went into the service menu... i was asking if there was some kind of reset for that menu or if doing a reset in the normal menu would fix any changes done in the service menu. i dont think i changed anything all i pressed was up and down, exit didnt do anything then i pressed power to turn off the tv. but i wanted to know if i should do a reset just in case.

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 12, 2009 7:41 AM PDT
In reply to: ?

Sorry about that.

What I meant was that if you go into the service menu and do nothing, there probably won't be anything that comes out of it. So the User GUI (menu accessible normally) is where you'd want to do the reset.

There is a reset in the service menu (in some cases, there may be several), but I would definitely NOT recommend going back in and trying that. If you made it out alive, count yourself lucky. Happy

Collapse -
by ps2gamer123 / July 12, 2009 9:17 AM PDT
In reply to: ?

thank you so much!!! its so hard to get answers on the web to questions i have about my tv.

i dont want to make another topic so i dont bother anyone here... but..

is it a good idea to update my firmware? my tv is a year old now its the ln32a330. if the tv is unplugged would the firmware get erased? any chance of a firmware update hurting my tv or does the phrase if it aint broke dont fix it?

thanks again.

ps.... i really love my tv.. had it for a year, best tv i ever owned.

Collapse -
i promise.
by ps2gamer123 / July 12, 2009 9:18 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks

thats my last question i promise.

Collapse -
by ps2gamer123 / July 12, 2009 10:07 AM PDT
In reply to: i promise.

i wish there was a way to delete my posts... nevermind about the firmware updates i wont do anything... if it aint broken dont fix it.

thanks again for the help it is greatly appriciated.

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 14, 2009 1:48 PM PDT
In reply to: Nevermind!!!

No, I apologize to you for the delay. Ask all the questions you want, open all the threads you want, and get all the information you can. That's what this is about.

If you update the firmware, it will essentially become your television's new OS. So unplugging the television will not erase the firmware, and resetting the television in the user GUI will not reset the firmware. (Neither will going into the service menu, for that matter, since that was discussed here). Once it is updated, it will stay that way until another firmware is loaded in.

If it ain't broke.... definitely. If you are experiencing an issue that the new firmware might address, it may be worth it. But if it's working fine, you may not need it.

Collapse -
I did something similar
by Steve in Portland / June 27, 2010 4:47 AM PDT

Im not sure what I did, but when I was in the service menu something happened. All of the sudden the tv turned itself off and entered into a power cycling mode. It turns itself on, waits about 7 seconds and turns itself off and repeats. Ive unplugged it for a day and same thing, as soon as I plug it in it powers on, then off and cycles. The tv isn't on long enough to reset using the remote and holding the exit button. I have a new un55c8000 but I might have accidentally changed the model in the service menu. I was just scrolling through them to see what was in there.

Isn't there some physical reset switch on the set? A jumper or something? I find it hard to believe that the remote is the only thing you can use to reset these tv's.

Thanks for any pointers. I'm sure this has to be simple.

Collapse -
something similar
by maxidp / October 10, 2011 10:48 AM PDT

could you fix it? i have the same problem

Collapse -
reset button
by Abuhhda / November 13, 2011 11:46 PM PST

i need to know where the reset button is on my tv to 32 LCD

Collapse -
reset button -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 14, 2011 3:52 AM PST
In reply to: reset button

Collapse -
how do i reset my samsung CS29Q1PW?
by vinayak_ashri18 / August 7, 2012 9:16 PM PDT

I fiddled with the service menu and now i have lost the display text which appears in menu bars and volume bars. i could only see a black box and nothing else. recently i lost the volume and now i cant hear a thing on my tv. help me out plz... i know i committed a mistake by screwing up the service menu. now if i enter the service menu i see nothing but a black box...HELP!!! SOS

Collapse -
Just so you know.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 8, 2012 12:46 AM PDT

There is no support for folk using the service menus. If people do this and break something the usual answer is to arrange for service.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.