Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

How do I repair or reinstall Windows Media Player?

by CSUjr / September 17, 2007 3:12 PM PDT

I am running Windows Vista Ultimate.

I upgraded to Ultimate from Home Premium via the internet, therefore I have no disk(s).

My Windows Media Player stopped working.

I found that there were some files missing.

I could not find a way to reinstall these files so I tried to reinstall the WMP, via the MS site.

It said that I could not install the WMP because I already had it on my system.

I tried doing a system recovery from a series of earlier dates but that did not solve the problem.

From here, I tried to delete it but the deleting process (including the registry references) would not remove everything.

I then tried reinstalling each and every WMP but the only one that I was able to put on my system was the WMP Classic (

I do not want to reinstall my OS (via the BitLocker) because it wipes out all of my files, and I do not want to have to reinstall all of them (via my CD backups) just to get the WMP back.

So, does anyone know how I can get the Windows Media Player back onto my system?

With appreciation,

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I repair or reinstall Windows Media Player?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I repair or reinstall Windows Media Player?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Looks like a call to Microsoft.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 17, 2007 9:15 PM PDT

Since you paid them already there should be no charge to ask how to repair your OS with no CD/dvds.

"My Windows Media Player stopped working.

I found that there were some files missing."

That's far too vague. If you had supplied an error message that could have helped.

Collapse -
Thank you for your reply Bob
by CSUjr / September 17, 2007 11:36 PM PDT

There was no error message.

The WMP worked fine for nearly 6 months and then would just not initialize.

This seemed very telling when I found that some of the files that were missing within the WMP folder were .ini files. I suspect this has to do with some kind of registry cleanup or something like that.

In any case, I could not find a way to retrive and/or replace the missing files, and as I mentioned, I was also unable to delete the entire WMP folder (so that I might do a clean reinstall).

Microsoft is no help at all. Any time that I ask them for help I am connected with India. Everyone that I have ever spoken with there speaks very poor broken English. Besides that, they have very little Real technical knowledge. They have never solved one single problem for me. I just keep being put on hold and constantly transferred.

This is why I thought that I would ask someone here.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 18, 2007 12:04 AM PDT

I need to read those error messages. Those are the clues to what is going on. Without them I'm just as lost as most are.

For example, when you run WMP what happens? You never told the forum this.

Collapse -
Thank you Bob
by CSUjr / September 18, 2007 2:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Sadly...

As I Said, Nothing happens. Click on the Icon, Right click; Open, etc. and it just does nothing. And again, No error message.

I do appreciate your replies however, you are not addressing my question. > How do I repair or reinstall Windows Media Player? <

And since I have explained that I can not repair it, it leaves the question - How do I reinstall the WMP?

Again, MS will not install it on my system because it shows that it was once installed on this machine.

So more specifically, the question is - Do you or anyone here know a way that I can (re)install the WMP on my machine?

Collapse -
"How do I repair or reinstall Windows Media Player?"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 18, 2007 2:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Thank you Bob

Most of what's known about WMP including repair is at this site ->

I'd be more specific if there was an error to work with (which you have now revealed.) There could be more clues in the EVENT VIEWER waiting to be shared.

But Microsoft does not offer repair tools for WMP so we are mostly left to use what the OS provides such as System Restore and SFC. Hopefully you can dig out an Event ID and details for a better clue.

Collapse -
by sdb59 / November 6, 2008 12:12 AM PST

I started having a problem with my WMP. It will not play DVDs anymore. I use windows xp and am considering upgrading to Vista to fix the problem unless someone has a better solution. I have a DVD drive that I have been using for quite some time. My Nero stopped working, so I uninstalled it using the Control Panel. I wonder it that took away some file that WMP needs. I am able to view the contents of the DVD disk using Windows Explorer, so the DVD is working. Here is the message I get:

0xC00D116A: Cannot play DVD video
A troubleshooter is available to help you solve this problem. To troubleshoot the problem, see the DVD Troubleshooter in Windows Help.

To play DVDs, you must have a DVD-ROM drive, and a software or hardware DVD decoder installed on your computer. If you do not have a compatible DVD decoder installed, DVD-related commands, options, and controls do not appear in the Player and you cannot play DVDs. By default, Windows does not include a DVD decoder. For more information about DVD decoders, see Windows Help.
DVD playback is only available on select versions of Windows.
Error ID = 0xC00D116A, Condition ID = 0x00000000
Web Help

Collapse -
That's not a bug.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 6, 2008 1:02 AM PST
In reply to: WMP

XP doesn't come with DVD playback and your post has no clue to tell me what DVD software you used to have.

So to get your DVD playing, just install and use VLC PLAYER for DVDs until you find what added DVD play to WMP.

Collapse -
windows medis player 11 cant burn discs
by James Blackburn / March 9, 2009 9:46 PM PDT

I hit burn it drops down but does noot stay down . Ihave no control from then on . seems like some part is missing .

Collapse -
Same Problem
by oglog40 / November 12, 2008 11:02 AM PST

Hey CSUjr, I am having the same problem with my WMP I click the icon nothing happens, I run as admin nothing happens, i go to the actual icon, nothing seems to work so I was hoping that if you find a fix for this problem if you could please message me back i would be very grateful, Thanks

Collapse -
by sdb59 / November 12, 2008 1:06 PM PST
In reply to: Same Problem
Collapse -
something with my windows
by keithreil / July 22, 2009 7:58 AM PDT
In reply to: WMP

everytime i click the icon windows media player, paint, etc, it say windows is searching and son and so fort.. what shall i do?

Collapse -
by falank / December 13, 2008 11:13 PM PST

I have the same problems and I fond many people to have some problems with wmp mine does not run at all, i cannot even see anymore tv on my laptop, I have tried to replair and reintall it, nothing has been a failure, i did not try to contact the Microsoft will be a waste of time, please if you come along with a solution e-mail at

Collapse -
WMP and canon
by spfma / July 24, 2009 3:43 AM PDT
In reply to: wmp

Got a canon fs21 video camera and WMP will show the graphics but not play the audio. Anyone have solution?

Collapse -
by jimmy_grimble / October 18, 2009 8:48 PM PDT

Did you fix the problem, iv tried somany difrent things please advise

Collapse -
restore windonws xp media plalyer
by sadiegirllake / November 3, 2009 12:38 AM PST

somehow windows media player in vista is gone. how fo i restor ie

Collapse -
Can't repair or reinstall Windows Media Player...
by kitkhak / November 9, 2009 4:58 AM PST

I have a Bad Image error message every time I load anything, "C:\\ProgramData\howepawi\howepawi.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error...." When I click ok another error pops up "C:\Windows\system32\segipusa.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error..." After I click ok it finally opens up my program. But when it comes to Windows Media Player it doesn't open or do anything. When I tried to re-install in from Microsoft's homesite it just tells me that I already have the most current version on my computer. My WMP won't open and I can't access it...Please help.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 11, 2009 10:44 PM PST

This thread is dysfunctional so it is now locked so no one adds to it. Clicking next unread fails.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.