Computer Help forum

Resolved Question

How do I remove Windows 9 OS

by Phillipa / January 2, 2013 2:18 AM PST

I have a brnad new laptop it came with Windows 8 32 bit already installed. It is Rubbish..I want to install XP Pro on the lap top and need help to remove and then install XP OS

Phillipa has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I remove Windows 9 OS
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I remove Windows 9 OS
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by Phillipa

Collapse -
What make and model please
by Phillipa / January 2, 2013 5:31 AM PST

Fujitsu Lifebook AH532/i5 32 bit. Now you have me worried. I need all the bells and whistles .

Collapse -
Link. Comments.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 2, 2013 5:40 AM PST
http://www.fujitsu.com/fts/products/computing/pc/notebooks-tablets/all-round/lifebook-ah532/ finds that XP is not on their list.

And I can't find a driver download link.

So let's go about this another way.

It uses the Intel® HM76 chipset so let's see if there is XP support. No. XP is not supported. You'll need a XP SP2 or XP SP3 CD.

It also has the usual SATA HDD and from what limited documents I can read you will be using the floppy diskette driver install for SATA "AKA" XP F6 SATA INSTALL (see google.)

This install is not going to be easy and I doubt if you can find all the needed drivers.

Can you reveal why XP? Here I'm moving to XP in a virtual machine and have a few "pickled" XP laptops for older projects.
Bob
Collapse -
Why XP
by Phillipa / January 2, 2013 6:00 AM PST
In reply to: Link. Comments.

I do machine embroidery and as a hobby am a graphic artist...all the plugins purchased and believe me I quite few thousand pounds invested here. Our embroidery machines are xp compatible as is all the software used to create the designs (Digitising) and this also BIG money.

I am so upset about the new laptop. i lusted after this darn thng, not realising the problems I would be encountering, not to say the least is email when I am travelling overseas. I have spoken to my ISP and there is no work around without having to buy cloud storage for more than 3 emails a day and some paltry download allowance. I use at least 50GB's a month so a backward work around for email is another bug bear, i should have done a bit more reading before letting my husband buy this laptop for me.

I have managed to get one light weight digitising programme to work on Win 8, but the whole app thing drives me nuts...and I have to be truthful, i just dont have the patience to fool with this. this is another reason why I do not own a smart phone.

Collapse -
Sorry I thought I was clear about XP.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 2, 2013 6:18 AM PST
In reply to: Why XP

There is no expectation on my part that XP, the original version, the CD that came without SP2 or SP3 would ever be able to run on such a machine.

When we are discussing installing an OS onto a machine there are a lot of hurdles to get there. In this case we would likely be able to get the laptop running XP SP2 or later but the install would from all looks involve the "XP F6 FLOPPY SATA INSTALL" which is frankly only good for those that install XP a lot. I've yet to find any step by step for say the laptop under discussion but it looks like XP would run. WiFi, sound and other things may not function but it looks like the basic OS and apps will work.

-> Windows 8 left even more features out as they decided to drop "legacy support." For example the XP MODE was dropped too. Along with that went a lot of code that let old XP apps run.

I own one and only one app that requires Windows XP (in my case, it works on XP, SP1, SP2 and SP3) and even that is now in a virtual machine for the rare day we need to run it on our modern laptops.

Bob

Collapse -
XP Good bye
by Phillipa / January 2, 2013 6:35 AM PST

Bob.

I am going to have to suck on this on and put it down to experience. My husband is cancelling his order for his new laptop running Win 8.

I don't have the old XP F6 Floppy SATA install, I do have XP with SP3 system disc but from what you are saying this is going to be a basic install and this is not what I want.

What I am going to do is to try to work around this whole mess and hope Windows 9 might be the way to go if it ever comes to it.

I am going to keep all my old lap tops with XP on them and my tiny notebook I bought from Better Buy when over in the States four years ago as well as this PC operational for as long as I can.

I would have to do all the techie stuff if I was going to be able to convert from Win 8 back to XP and believe me that in itself would be enough to be testing my skills.

Thank you so much for helping me and I hope this is lesson to others who might be foolish to buy a computer without doing the research.

Collapse -
Yes, you do have the old F6 install for sata.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 2, 2013 6:50 AM PST
In reply to: XP Good bye

Google this to find out how its done.

-> XP F6 FLOPPY SATA INSTALL

Looks like a foreign or mismosh of words but it's a known install instruction for installing XP (sp2 or later) to today's non-UEFI, legacy BIOS PCs.
Bob

Collapse -
Thank you for all your help
by Phillipa / January 2, 2013 5:56 PM PST

My poor old head. What a challenge and nearly my three score and ten years I realised what a learning curve my life has been, from the start of comuters using RPG1 & RPG11 language, working my through different programming languages and now this and I thought I was capable..

What I have done had gotten in touch with a friend of mine in Texas, he is security computer analyst for a certain government department over there and he is going to look at all of this for me when i go over next month. Amazing what some Texans will do for a single malt whiskey.

In the meantime, I have turned my Win 8 into a Win 7 look a like using one of the topics on this forum, at least I have something that i can work for a few weeks and I can do some design work as well send and receive emails, even though it is backwards.

Thank you to everyone for assisting me with the problem. Definitely Caveat Emptor from now on.

Collapse -
Answer
Original request for help should read Windows 8
by Phillipa / January 2, 2013 2:20 AM PST

One day I will learn to type it is a Windows 8 32 bit OS I want to remove from the lap top. it is the only OS on the computer

Collapse -
Answer
What make and model please.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 2, 2013 2:23 AM PST

I have a very new laptop here and it came with the new UEFI BIOS which in short means XP is not an option. I won't detail why UEFI locks out XP and many other OSes but it is the end of XP if all new PCs come with that.

Beyond the OS lockout you may want drivers for the WiFi and such but some folk just need XP and not the full PC device support.

So let's hear what this laptop is. Our first stop is the maker's web page to see if we have drivers for XP. Not that they are needed to run XP but I find most folk want more than 800x600 16 colors and some want sound and WiFi to work.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Try Classic Start or Start8
by wpgwpg / January 2, 2013 2:33 AM PST

Either Classic Start (which is free) or Start8 (which costs $5) will give you back the start button and the "look and feel" of Windows 7. Try one of these and see if you can't live with Windows 8. It comes with no games and doesn't support XP Mode, but it will be very much like Windows 7 which is a very good version of Windows. Bear in mind that support for XP is going away in a year, so I really believe you'd regret going back to it.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Answer
Removing Win 8 OS
by Phillipa / January 2, 2013 5:28 AM PST

It is not the start button I need. I wish this was the case. Thank yo for responding

Collapse -
DId you need more help?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 2, 2013 5:31 AM PST
In reply to: Removing Win 8 OS
Collapse -
Re: removing Windows 8
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 2, 2013 5:37 AM PST
In reply to: Removing Win 8 OS

Bob gave the right answer already.

If it's a BIOS without 'legacy mode' it's a no go.
Else get a retail Windows XP CD (with a license which isn't in use elsewhere) and all needed drivers. Then download DBAN, burn the ISO to CD, boot from it to fully erase the hard disk. Then boot from the XP setup CD and continue the way you did 10 years ago when you first installed it. If it's a SATA disk (and that is quite likely nowadays) be sure it's at least a SP2 CD.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.