Storage

General discussion

How do I remove memeo?

by catkenobi-208815654951464 / May 5, 2008 1:12 AM PDT

It some how got on to our computer. Keeps telling me I have a 25 day trial. No uninstall like other software. I have done a search and tried to delete it all. One day it appears, I delete it, the next day it reappears. How do I get rid of this? I do not need this.

Compaq
Windows XP

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I remove memeo?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I remove memeo?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 5, 2008 1:17 AM PDT
In reply to: How do I remove memeo?

Since I do not own the Memeo AutoSync software, I don't know if it will undo the work it's already done. After you unistall the software, check your external drives for folders and delete what you didn't put there. Or go over to the Memeo forums and ask the company directly:

http://www.memeo.com/forum/

Collapse -
Thanks
by catkenobi-208815654951464 / May 5, 2008 1:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Try

Thank you for the information. I always come here fist because I trust the information.

Collapse -
Memeo
by jeffkerri / July 15, 2008 6:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

I am having the same problem. I deleted the memeo files from regedit, removed the programs manually (they cannot be deleted from add/remove programs) and rebotted several times. I tried to contact memeo directly and have not heard back. There is something else that memeo installs that I cannot find. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated to eliminate what I consider a virus.

Collapse -
This is what I did
by catkenobi-208815654951464 / July 15, 2008 6:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Memeo

Just yesterday after another reccomendation, I found stuff ( I call it) lurking in the program files. Guess what was there, yep, Memeo. After I thought all this time it was gone. Nope. It was there. I went there and "tried" to delete it.It will try to install itself as you try to delete it. Just keep canceling if it does. It will eventually move to the recycle bin. After that I went to memeo site and did the regedit, both of them (link posted above). I actually then went to the recycle bin and without touching the actual Memeo, emptied the bin.

I restarted my computer. Checked the registry and deleted anything that said memeo. Just make sure auto sync is gone. I came to the conclusion that they only have you delete the auto sync portion for some reason (that's the paranoia talking). While in the registry I also checked every one of the subcategories for anything memeo and deleted it (I think I found something in asseblies{just do Memeo at the end, not beginning as I do not know what those files are).

After I made sure nothing was in my program files either.

It appears to be gone.

***Be very careful when you go into the registry. You can mess up your whole computer*****

Collapse -
More info ...
by jeffkerri / July 15, 2008 7:04 AM PDT
In reply to: This is what I did

I think I'm finally free of the offending (and offensive) software. The file I missed was 7606ACEFC96823F4F9E675E44169EC44 in the registry (I put the name here for future readers, it appears twice in the registry.) There are 2 other instances of memeo in the registry that I also deleted.

As you said, all readers should be careful editing registry files.

Collapse -
memeo autosync - be gone!!!!
by single person / October 21, 2008 6:42 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

Although you went to uninstall (add/ remove) and it still auto load itself. So here's the beginning of it's end.

Let it load itself. Go to add/ remove and uninstall memeo (if it's still there) and also uninstall something like (truesync). It has another name that help it boot up.

Then click start and go to "run"... type in "memeo" then click find. Window will open a few different folders. Click each folder and carefully search for folders that reads memeo and wd or wp and delete all of it. It also have a hidden folder in start up menu folder. Anything affiliate with above folder just select all and delete. This will not affect any of your current programs from original.

Go back to desktop where memeo icon sucker sit and laugh. Right click the icon and click the tap "shortcut" then click "find target". Finally delete entire folder then it's sucker icon. Reboot. Done!!!

Use window washer, spy sweeper or uniblue to double clear it (if you have any). It would help if you have "http://www.ursoftware.com/" too. This memeo is now a tale tell story.

Collapse -
here it is
by single person / October 28, 2008 11:00 PM PDT
In reply to: How do I remove memeo?

previously made a comment in there... just adding that you must also delete the registry folder and then it's finally out of sight. I'm all clear with the b.s. name and icon.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.