Computer Help forum

Resolved Question

how do I remove conduit search engine

by abuelitojd / March 7, 2013 7:51 AM PST

I have an HP G70 laptop that I was trying to download belarc on. I got the conduit search engine and toolbar, etc., even though I unchecked the boxes for any add on.

abuelitojd has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: how do I remove conduit search engine
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: how do I remove conduit search engine
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by abuelitojd

Collapse -
Conduit-related items..
by Carol~ Forum moderator / March 7, 2013 8:12 AM PST

Anything Conduit-related should be able to be removed with AdwCleaner. (It's free)

Please read "AdwCleaner Usage Instructions" at the above site.

Best of luck..
Carol

Collapse -
Added note..
by Carol~ Forum moderator / March 7, 2013 8:31 AM PST

abuelitojd..

If you ever need to download additional software in the future, make sure to use the "Direct Download Link" just below "Download Now" in green.

Carol

Collapse -
Where is the start icon?
by abuelitojd / March 7, 2013 8:49 AM PST

I downloaded the adwcleaner and enabled the askdetection / yahoo tool bar. Where/how does one start the program?

Collapse -
On your desktop..
by Carol~ Forum moderator / March 8, 2013 1:01 AM PST

I don't understand what you mean when you say you "downloaded the adwcleaner and enabled the askdetection / yahoo toolbar". AdwCleaner is a very small application and doesn't come with any toolbars such as Yahoo or Ask. Its purpose to remove them.

You asked where/how to start the program. When you downloaded AdwCleaner to your Desktop, it created an icon / shortcut there. (It looks like a brown bug with 6 legs) With all programs closed double-click on it and run the program.

NOTE: If you first click Search (instead of Delete) AdwCleaner will scan your system and show you the results as a text file. If you have any doubts about what it finds, please ask here. Otherwise, proceed with the cleaning process by clicking Delete.

If you have any doubts, read these set of instructions to remove it manually. It also includes instructions for the use of AdwCleaner, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and HitmanPro. Avoid using the download links, as I only just found it and haven't had time to test and verify each of them myself. Ask here and we'll provide them. But the information provided is correct.

Best of luck..
Carol

Collapse -
Conduit problems
by abuelitojd / March 8, 2013 11:53 PM PST
In reply to: On your desktop..

Thanks for the reply. I restored the system which seemed to have solved my problem. I think my first reply was because I went to the bleeping computer by clicking on the AdwCleaner link. Ah well, I am not very adept at computer stuff. Again, thanks.

Collapse -
Adw cleaner is good...
by icemanone111 / March 7, 2013 4:16 PM PST

Adw cleaner is good... I used it...

Collapse -
Answer
MalwareBytes works, too
by pianodirt / January 16, 2014 1:48 AM PST

This is an old thread, but perhaps this will be useful to someone who lands here from an internet search...

My wife's computer has gotten the nasty Conduit Search/Conduit Search Protect malware twice now. The first time we first used MalwareBytes (the free version) and it removed most of the issue. We had to use another free software (sorry, I forget what it was) to remove the rest of it, but it wasn't AdwCleaner. This was around August 2013. Then just a few days ago, her computer got infected again. After resetting both IE and Firefox to their default states, we used MalwareBytes (with updated detection files) again and this time it removed ALL of the Conduit crap. In Aug 2013, MalWareBytes found about 70 files related to Conduit. Then just a few days ago, it found 147 Conduit-related files. Either MalwareBytes is getting better at removing the Conduit stuff and/or Conduit is getting sneakier about how deep into the OS it installs. This was on a Vista 32-bit machine.

Some blogs have mentioned a source of Conduit/Conduit Search Protect is likely as a result of downloading a free piece of software from CNET. We are likely to agree, both times this happened, she had recently downloaded something free from CNET. There was no obvious checkbox to unchoose installing such crap. If this is really true, it is unfortunate, because CNET used to be such a reliable source for downloads, but if they are allowing this crap to be installed, they might want to rethink that. Even if CNET is not the source of such malicious software, then their reputation is being tarnished because people are saying this is so.

This is the guide we roughly followed, though we did not use HitMan Pro:

http://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-conduit-apps-search-and-toolbar/

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.