Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

Question

How do I remove Babylon malware?

by VistaVictim / January 9, 2012 5:03 AM PST

Hi guys, I now have the 'Babylon search' site when I start up Chrome on Windows 7. I assume this is malware as this happened without my consent. On Chrome settings there is no indication that I have Babylon as my default home page, so I cannot restore my old settings. Also I cannot find Babylon in my list of programs so I cannot uninstall in the normal way.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I remove Babylon malware?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I remove Babylon malware?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
See if this helps..
by Carol~ Forum moderator / January 9, 2012 7:34 AM PST

Scroll 3/4's of the way down this page to where you see:

"Remove Babylon Search from Google Chrome"

Follow all 4 steps.

If it remains, check your other browsers. To include all Add-ons and/or Extensions.

Best of luck..
Carol

Collapse -
nope :( per 'I cannot restore my old settings'
by VistaVictim / January 9, 2012 5:18 PM PST
In reply to: See if this helps..

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough in my original post. The point is exactly that when I go to Chrome options (I erroneously used the word 'settings' above) there is no sign of them having been changed to Babylon. In my case my home page appears to be set to gmail, as it always has been, but in fact what happens is that at start it goes straight to Babylon search, perhaps as if the malware has created some kind of auto-rerouting, or is somehow masking the real settings.

Collapse -
nb
by VistaVictim / January 9, 2012 5:28 PM PST

Am pretty sure a re-install of Chrome would do the trick, but this seems too radical for what might be an easy fix. Plus it would be a bit lazy of me - would like to know what is going on here.

Collapse -
I agree with you..
by Carol~ Forum moderator / January 10, 2012 10:05 AM PST
In reply to: nb

VV..

I agree with all you said, with (possibly) one exception. You wrote you were "pretty sure a re-install of Chrome would do the trick". It may not necessarily be the case. There may have been system modifications made. (Your Hosts file, ONLY as an example) I hadn't realized until today, just how much of a problem Babylon can be.

Some questions, thoughts and suggestions.

To rule out any other malware, I would first suggest scanning with the following.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (Free version)
http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free

ESET's Online Scanner - Their FAQ and Help sections should answer any questions you might have. (Temporarily disable your A/V prior to running the scan)

http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner

You wrote, "In my case my home page appears to be set to Gmail, as it always has been, but in fact what happens is that at start it goes straight to Babylon search".

Would you be so kind as to clarify what you mean when you say "at start it goes to Babylon". When you open Chrome, do you see Gmail at all? Or are you presented with the search page?

You say there is no sign of Babylon listed anywhere. I take this to mean your search engine is listed "as it should be". Have you checked the settings (and extensions) in your other browsers? Is Babylon listed as one of the Search Providers (when selecting Tools>Manage Add-Ons) using Internet Explorer? When you originally went to Programs to uninstall it, could it have been listed as "MyBabylon"?

Check Chrome's LAN Settings to make sure it hasn't been changed.

There are some tools, which might be able to spot the problem, without having to jump through too many hoops. Unfortunately, we don't utilize them here. If it comes down to it, I can direct you to some forums which do. To make sure this a "lone culprit", give the above scanners a try.

I wish I had that "easy fix" you were looking for, but I don't. Sad
Carol

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.