TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

How do I record a VHS tape onto a DVD recorder?

by jccole / February 22, 2004 11:45 AM PST

I want to record some VHS home movies onto a DVD. I have an excellent DVD+R burner in my new Dell desktop and, although I am not a computer novice, I don't know how to do this. Assuming there is an appropriate software package to enable me to do this, how is it done? Is the VHS movie created on the hard disk in real time with the DVD burning from this file? Is the same true for recording a cassette tape onto the CD+R crive?

Joe

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I record a VHS tape onto a DVD recorder?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I record a VHS tape onto a DVD recorder?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:How do I record a VHS tape onto a DVD recorder?
by Art / February 22, 2004 4:06 PM PST

For computer, three things.
1. capturing; a hardware_software device for capturing analog single from vcr to the harddrive in either mpeg or avi format (depends on the hardware).
2. Converting avi/mpeg to dvd format (transcoding and editing), which takes a long long time.
3. Burn it to a dvd disk.

What software came with your dvd burner?

A complete soluttion in real time; see RickW's posts below (a Sansui VRDVD). I think it might be a better solution if your time is more important than $400.

Collapse -
by MrySun / May 20, 2004 9:16 PM PDT

I ran into an excellent "how-to" article on Tom's Hardware Guide a few months ago and I found it to be indispensable. It suggests the use of a USB 2.0 MPEG encoder (DVD XPress From ADS Tech). The piece can be found at:

http://www6.tomshardware.com/video/20040220/index.html

I personally picked up one of the devices and have been using it for a few months now as I convert my home videos over to DVD. A few personal notes though, should you find such a device appealing to your particular situation: (1) use the "best" capture mode, else the quality of the video can be less than stellar at times, and (2) try to unplug a few of your unused USB devices that aren't critical to your system when using this device b/c it gobbles up a lot of bandwidth and can cause problems (at least it did on my rig).

After capture, I just used Nero or some other similar DVD authoring program to burn the video. That was just a piece of cake.

So to answer a part of your above question relating to if it captures and burns at the same time, the answer to that is no. It does the operation in two distinct operations. Capture first to create the MPEG-2 file, then burn to DVD.

Hope that helps somewhat.

Collapse -
Re:Re:How do I record a VHS tape onto a DVD recorder?
by bbowling / May 20, 2004 10:43 PM PDT

I have been looking at the same unit for a few months. I think I will get it now.

Thanks for the link. That helped making up my mind.

Bill

Collapse -
Using a TV/VCR to record onto DVD
by cgm707 / December 23, 2004 12:59 AM PST

I have a combo TV/VCR unit, and was wondering if the instructions wwould work for such a setup (recording the VHS onto my PC's DVD recorder? I am a novice/intermediate PC user and wondering if it's really easy to do Happy
Thanks for any help.

Collapse -
by thepit47 / May 21, 2004 12:32 AM PDT

I use a Plextor ConvertX which converts analog signals to digital signals. All you need is a VHS player and a DVD RW on your PC. The ConvertX does all the work. You can use any program that allows you to make movies like Roxio Media Creator or many others. The key is the ConvertX. You just need to plug the VHS player into the Convert X with RCA connectors and the ConvertX connects to your PC via USB 2.0 (high speed). This works for me.

Collapse -
by Art / May 21, 2004 3:54 AM PDT

I have a question for you. I been eyeing this unit for awhile now..tell me..I know this unit output mpeg4, what I want to know is can you play the mpeg4 file with a divx player (hardware/software) or does it need to be converted to divx format first? My reason for this is because I don't like conversion because it usually takes a long time.

Collapse -
Plextor ConvertX
by michalex1 / April 23, 2007 11:22 AM PDT

I was wondering where you bought the Plextor ConvertX and the RCA connectors. I have a laptop with a DVD RW. And how long does it take to copy an hour long movie? Thanks

Collapse -
by Malcolm S Mill / May 21, 2004 1:13 AM PDT

In my case it was simple and yielded excellent results - not quite DVD quality but as good as is possible from a broadcast.

I have an Hauppauge WinTV card ( any input card with a composite video input would do ) and plugged the composite video output from the video player ( BNC / RCA phono ) connector or SCART pin 19 ( vid out) & 17 (gnd) [may be 20 & 17 if connector lead is used])

I then chose "record from video source" in Showshifter (I bought mine but a free trial copy is available from www.showshifter.com and recorded to MPEG Highest Quality.

The recording is straightforward but takes 3~4 Gb per hour of transfer.

Then simply drag the file(s) into Nero or myDVD and let it burn

max recording is split into blocks by showshifter (windows limitations) but if gap between blocks is set to zero in Nero then they don't notice.

Editing can be done in NeroVision (part of nero) but direct recording in Nerovision can be a pain at times.

2hrs video can be burnt to a standard DVD in DVD(ish) quality or 4hrs on a dual layer DVDR.
Lower quality gets more on a DVD, e.g 4hrs in SVCD on a standard DVD or much more using DivX codecs (included in Showshifter) but playback can only be on a DivX equiped computer

The Akura DVD player (about

Collapse -
by ms2089 / May 21, 2004 1:47 AM PDT

Copy to camcorder (digital) then use windows moviemaker to copy to PC. then use writing software that came with your DVD writer

Collapse -
by Gnomagik / May 21, 2004 2:20 AM PDT

How to convert from VHS to DVD on a PC Computer

1. Hardware:
I use Pinnacle PCTV Pro (I paid less than $50 for mine) which can be found at http://www.pinnaclesys.com/ProductPage_n.asp?Product_ID=103&Langue_ID=7

2. Software:
Pinnacle PCTV Pro comes with a program called PCTV Vision. This program is a single solution for all video capture and conversions.

3. Cables and Connections (Optional):
After the PCTV Pro PCI card is installed in your computer, connect it to an AV switchbox (available at your local Walmart). To the switchbox I have attached the following:
a. VCR Player
b. DVD Player
c. Dish Sattalite Receiver (Using a series of ?Y? cables on the receiver)
d. Local TV (Using an AV conversion box from Radio Shack)
This will give you the ability to convert (or in the case of the DVD Player) or make copies of your current library.

4. How to Do It:
a. Setup your input device
b. Load PCTV Vision
c. Start your input device (hit the play button)
d. Click on the RECORD button in PCTV Vision
e. When the movie is over click on the STOP button in PCTV Vision
f. Click on DISPLAY RECORDED VIDEOS button in PCTV Vision
g. You are now in the GALLERY window
h. Click on the BURN button and select the output media (VCD, SVCD or DVD)
i. Drag your movie from the GALLERY window to the BURN window (if you are burning several small movies they can all be dragged to the burn window and placed on the same DVD)
j. Click on the BURN button

Burning and Coping just does not get any easier. If you have choicen a movie which requires more than one disk, the program will burn the first disk then ask for the next disk(s) as needed.

Collapse -
by raptor8 / May 21, 2004 3:44 PM PDT

Being on a tight budget, I studied this carefully. I not only wanted record capabilities, but i needed a digital camcorder as well. And my budget allowed for only one item, so I found the Sony TRV350. I already own 2 analog 8mm camcorderes and using this machine lets me digitize my 8mm tapes and send them to the computer all at once. Another feature of the pass-thru is that I can hook my VCR to the camera, and the camera to the computer, like a DV bridge. When finished, however, I unhook my cables and have a perfectly serviceable camcorder instead of another chunk of hardware on my desk. THIS camcorder allows you to do many things that minidvs wont do.. it is overlooked, and was only $499. works great, takes stills as well on a memory card.. So that's my solution. I had to make one purchase do double duty, and that's the Sony DCR-TRV350. What do you think of my solution? ;p

Collapse -
by oldgeek / May 26, 2004 12:07 AM PDT

Here's a related question for the group.

I have transferred some of my home movies from vhs to dvd on my desktop using a usb 2.0 connection. I recently purchased a laptop that has a firewire port. What I would like to do is use the laptop to convert the vhs tapes using the firewire port. It seems to me that all I would need is the cable to connect the vcr to the laptop since I already have the video capture software but I have not been able to find any cables with a firewire connection on one end and standard a/v connections on the other.

All the other products I have seen so far are either pci cards, use usb 2.0 cables (which I don't have on the laptop), or are too expensive (I don't want to spend too much on this little project).

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Oldgeek

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 26, 2004 12:12 AM PDT

"have transferred some of my home movies from vhs to dvd on my desktop using a usb 2.0 connection. I recently purchased a laptop that has a firewire port. What I would like to do is use the laptop to convert the vhs tapes using the firewire port. It seems to me that all I would need is the cable to connect the vcr to the laptop since I already have the video capture software but I have not been able to find any cables with a firewire connection on one end and standard a/v connections on the other."

In a nutshell, firewire is another "digital" interface like USB 2.0 is. My "bet" is that your new laptop has USB 2.0 and you should be able to continue using your current method.

Bob

Collapse -
by timwerx / May 29, 2004 12:03 AM PDT

I hate to be Mr. Wet Blanket, but you'll have to ask yourself: Is it worth it?

I was gung-ho on the VHS/Hi8-to-DVD bandwagon last year and made many DVDs which turned out great. As far as new "home movies" and slide shows to edit and send to people on DVD go, it is worthwhile, as long as they have newer machines that will play your DVD.

As far as putting all your movies already on VHS tape onto DVDs goes, personally, I think it's a waste of time and effort EXCEPT where the tape is falling apart and a new one is not available.

A 120-minute tape will hold 6 hours of movies at nice quality recorded at 3x. To put those onto DVD at about the same quality (it'll never get better), you'll need a DVD disk for every 2 hours, or 3 disks. So there is no space saved, and the cost for disks and the time involved will probably make the whole operation seem ridiculous.

My advice is to leave movies on tape as they are if they still look good. For special movies, import them directly from your TV tuner to your PC, then edit out the commercials and burn to disk.

I realize that this doesn't answer your question (I see that many already have), but after doing a few, I believe you'll see what I mean.

Collapse -
How?
by RaeJ / January 7, 2005 5:14 AM PST

do you import them from TV/SatelliteDVR/VCR to your computer? THIS is what I have been trying to find out for months. Asking DirectTV and at computer stores has gotten me nowhere!!!
SatelliteDVR has S-vidoe and USB. Laptop has both also.
Thanks!

Collapse -
RE;
by Art / January 7, 2005 4:01 PM PST
In reply to: How?

Have you try capturing the signal to the computer yet..using s-video or usb? Do you have any capturing device at all?

Collapse -
Camcorder...
by RaeJ / January 8, 2005 2:58 AM PST
In reply to: RE;

Ok, so is that the missing link? I need to link my digital camcorder in this conglomeration?
Satellite/DVR has S-video and USB, laptop has same, so a capturing device is needed between them?
Thank!

Collapse -
Now are we talking about 2 things?
by Art / January 8, 2005 3:39 AM PST
In reply to: Camcorder...

Your digicam has firewire output? If so then you can add a firewire adapter to your computer (I have seen some for $10), plus some software maybe. I am not sure because I never work with firewire before.

Collapse -
transfer of video to DVD disc and audio to CD
by nenesnene / December 13, 2008 10:10 AM PST

Good day

I want to transfer my vcr recordings onto dvd discs.
I use a Panasonic NV-SD205 Multi system NTSC Playback on PAL TV domestic vcr machine, and a Sony DVD Recorder, high definition multimedia interface 1080p upscale machine. and my audio tapes onto CD from Sony Mini hifi MHC-GNZ7D,
dvd rw, dvd video rw, HDMI.

Thankyou

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.