Windows 7 forum

Resolved Question

How do i re-install an OEM edition of windows 7?

by dbmalya / January 24, 2012 10:57 PM PST

Hello experts Happy
The computer didn't come with a windows DVD, and i deleted the recovery partition (a stupid waste of storage space).
I have a serial number in the battery bay of the laptop, but i don't have the DVD.
Is there a way to download the OEM version of windows 7 home premium 64 bit?
My computer is a HP Probook 4530s.
Thank you Happy

dbmalya has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do i re-install an OEM edition of windows 7?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do i re-install an OEM edition of windows 7?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by dbmalya

Collapse -
Re: download
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 24, 2012 11:01 PM PST

That particular OEM version comes from HP. So you should ask HP if they have a download, or only a DVD and how much it will cost. It will be the system recovery media, most likely, including all drivers (nice) and all bloatware (somewhat less nice, maybe).

It's much cheaper than the retail version, that moreover comes without bloatware (nice), but without HP and machine specific driver (not nice).

Collapse -
And about storage space.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 24, 2012 11:03 PM PST

In this age of terabyte drives, who cares about a little bit of space used for recovery data? You do, obviously. Did you realisize the consequences, like ths?

Collapse -
Hello :)
by dbmalya / January 25, 2012 12:03 AM PST

Hello Kees_B
Thanks for the help. Happy
Called up HP, the tech support rep told me I'd be charged if i want a DVD, along with the extra shipping. That's about a hundred dollars Sad
Hey, what if I download an iso from the pirate bay and attempt installation using my serial number (instead of using the crack, I don't want to disable windows updates/ run an illegal copy of windows)? Would that be considered as software piracy? And more importantly, since you mentioned my OS to be a HP specific edition, will it work at all??
I have a 5 DVD ghost image which i created right after the purchase, I guess recovering from that would be my only option now. (which would unfortunately re-install all the HP bloat, and kill my linux installation)
And regarding storage space, the internal HDD on this computer is a 7200/320GB toshiba SATA II, wish I could afford a TB and SATA III, Sad
But anyway, I find this concept of 'recovery partition' pretty lame, and I'da probably ended up deleting it even if i had a TB Silly (just a matter of personal taste IMO, I've always assembled my computers myself, installed the OS from the DVD, and downloaded the drivers from the the internet. This is a laptop, and if I could assemble laptops, I'da never purchased a pre-assembled device :p)
The recovery partition was about 20 GB, and I'm running openSUSE from that partition now, this is a better utilization of the storage space IMO Happy
Thanks again, expecting a reply Happy

Collapse -
Re: reinstall
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 25, 2012 12:08 AM PST
In reply to: Hello :)

Using that ghost image seems the cheapest and surest way to go.

With cracked versions you never know what they ask and what they accept and what WGA (Windows Genuine Advantage) thinks of it. So, no, we can't advise that at all.

Collapse -
hello kees
by dbmalya / January 25, 2012 3:25 AM PST
In reply to: Re: reinstall

Kees, thank you for being nice & understanding the issue properly Happy
I have restored windows 7 from the ghosts, and made another copy of the 5 ghost DVDs (just in case.. :p)
So, windows 7 is up and running, computer's like it was when I first purchased it 6 months back, and I consider the issue to be resolved;
I'll restart and begin installing openSUSE now Happy
Thanks again and cheers Happy

Collapse -
Just a suggestion ...
by Edward ODaniel / January 25, 2012 12:09 PM PST
In reply to: hello kees

but why not make another GHOST image AFTER installing Linux?

Ghost will allow you to image single partitions as well as whole drives and will allow you to keep one OS as it is while reloading an image of the other on its different partition.

Also, I normally make my initial images AFTER cleaning out all the pre-loaded garbage that I have no use for nor interest in which eliminates repeating the removal of the garbage after writing the image back to the drive.

Collapse -
Too hasty
by Willy / January 25, 2012 12:26 AM PST
In reply to: Hello :)

Most OEM makers provided you the the "opportunity" to make recovery/restore discs". You wiped that away and then you cleaned out the partition as well. It doesn't matter of your preference, but you did this before you had the chance to save yourself, the queries you're now asking.

Collapse -
by dbmalya / January 25, 2012 12:50 AM PST
In reply to: Too hasty

ROFL my friend
I'm not askin your opinion on how to get illegal copies, i can assure you I know how to use google Wink
I'm afraid you probably need to refresh your knowledge of intellectual property rights. The price you pay is 99% cost of the license (which I have, maybe you should have read properly, I wasn't asking for your opinion on how to crack windows, I have a license and I know to use cracks too, but I won't, by my personal choice) and 1% the cost of media. It's the same as borrowing a friend's windows DVD after you misplace yours and using your serial number instead of your friend's. This works great for retail editions. I've done this a hundred time, and as far as logical reasoning goes, this isn't piracy, I have paid for the license. And I can get all the updates from microsoft:-)
However, I'd stick with Mr.Moderator's advice above.
"Most OEM makers provided you the the "opportunity" to make
recovery/restore discs". You wiped that away and then you cleaned out
the partition as well"
Maybe you should read the post properly before attempting a reply, I just mentioned I have a 5 DVD ghost Wink
I'm sure you understand what a ghost is, don't you? ROFL again, and thank you Wink

Collapse -
Mods are put off by pirate acts and copies.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 25, 2012 3:20 AM PST
In reply to: well

Maybe I could add more but here, that HP recovery set was only 35 bucks which is far less than retail PLUS it doesn't create any support issues.

Besides I find folk can't install Windows today. They always forget a driver or helper app.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.