Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

How do i print screen on a PC with a Mac Keyboard??

by cfagan / February 16, 2004 3:41 AM PST

I have a PC with a MAC keyboard. Since there is no "print screen" button, the PC won't do a screen grab. Is there a way around this?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do i print screen on a PC with a Mac Keyboard??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do i print screen on a PC with a Mac Keyboard??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:How do i print screen on a PC with a Mac Keyboard??
by allassio / March 27, 2004 4:42 AM PST

Although there Is a 'Print Screen' key on the keyboard (not always marked as such), it's the F13 Key, the usual Screen Snapshot combination is option(the key with the apple symbol or four-looped symbol) together with the Shift key and the 3 key simultaneously.
That is, unless you have preprogrammed your Function keys at the top.
Also check that your keyboard is appropriate to the Country of origin. ie if you run a US System, select the system profiler and you should be able to see which you have, match them together by changing the keyboard layout to US and it should work as labelled.
I had a similar problem using a windows keyboard on my Mac!
Good Luck!
Wyn.P

Collapse -
That doesn't answer the actual question
by markbult / February 22, 2007 8:01 AM PST

This does not answer the original question. The questioner has a PC. And has a Mac keyboard plugged into it.

The Mac keyboard does not have a Print Screen key. It has an Alt key and an F13 key, which would be the equivalent of how you'd do this with a PC keyboard.

But that doesn't seem to work (for me either).

Collapse -
That could be F14, given
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 22, 2007 8:40 AM PST

its placement.

I think I would shell out for a cheap USB keyboard for the PC.

P

Collapse -
(NT) 3 years since question was asked... I suspect they have! ;-)
by grimgraphix / February 23, 2007 12:52 AM PST
Collapse -
How to print screen from Mac keyboard plugged into a PC
by cwindomsr / March 8, 2008 12:52 AM PST

>This does not answer the original question. The questioner has a PC >And has a Mac keyboard plugged into it.

>The Mac keyboard does not have a Print Screen key. It has an Alt key >and an F13 key, which would be the equivalent of how you'd do this >with a PC keyboard.

>But that doesn't seem to work (for me either).

I am using a MAC keyboard plugged into a PC with Vista installed. This should also work with XP. Press the following key combination;

MAC Key(funny looking key that looks a jack)
Control Key
Shift Key
F13 Key

This should capture the entire screen

Hope This Helps

Collapse -
Mac Keyboard on a PC / Print Screen Function
by thierryl / January 13, 2010 4:39 PM PST

I have fund a solution to this issue:
1/ I have downloaded Key Tweak(remapping soft)from this link: http://webpages.charter.net/krumsick/
2/ I did remap the F13 Key (100)from my Mac keyboard into Print Screen
and saved it such as.

I have a PC who's running windows vista 64 bit with the mac keyboard and the print screen function (F13) is actually working.

Hoping that help somebody...

Cheers.

Collapse -
I do not have F13
by nicolab104 / March 9, 2011 5:47 AM PST

I have a Mac Pro and I run Windows and Mac with Parallels. I am new to the "Mac World" and still not very happy about it.
My keyboard gets to F12 (no F13, no F14...).
I use Windows XP, and I really need to be able to use prntscrn on the windows side.
I tried Command(apple) + shift + 3: it takes the snapshot, but it does not place it anywhere.
I tried to find other ways... but I am completely lost.

Please Help!

I appreciate very much any response.

Collapse -
(NT) Command+shift+3 puts the tiff on the desktop of the mac.
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 9, 2011 8:21 AM PST
In reply to: I do not have F13
Collapse -
prntscrn on Windows ?
by nicolab104 / March 10, 2011 12:54 AM PST

Thanks mrmacfixit. I tried that and it does solve the problem on the Mac desktop... but my issue is on windows.

I work a lot on Excel on windows, and I need to be able to copy images from online and just paste them on the Excel page I have open. It was very easy when I was using PC - now it is complicated to do.

Collapse -
See the last post in this thread,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 10, 2011 11:29 AM PST
In reply to: prntscrn on Windows ?

or,
get a cheap Windows keyboard

P

Collapse -
better later then never!
by claudiu nemes / April 2, 2008 8:47 PM PDT

I have same problem now 4 years later from your original post and i solve the problem like this.

Follow these instructions in order to map the F13-F15 keys on an Apple USB keyboard to the functions, Print Screen, Scroll Lock, and Break commonly found on PC keyboards:

1. On your PC, copy the following lines into a text file.

REGEDIT4
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout]
"Scancode Map"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,04,00,00,00,46,E0,5F,00,46,00,5E,00,37,E0,5D,00,00,00,00,00

2. Rename the text file remap.reg
3. Double click on the file remap.reg and answer yes to the question about adding the information to the registry
4. Reboot

Function keys are now remapped to their PC equivalents

Hope this will help
Yours,
Claudiu

Collapse -
... and not all Mac keyboards are created equal
by jsmbrown / March 6, 2009 5:30 AM PST

[... in case anyone else stumbles across this old Forum thread after my posting...]

OK... I admit that I'm obsessive, but I have a stack of cheap/free Mac USB keyboards around and only one PC USB keyboard, and I work with both PC and Mac on a KVM switch.
Setting the record straight, USB was a Microsoft standard, and the first computers to have it were PCs, but it didn't become universally accepted in the PC world until, ironically, Apple switched over from ADB. (Yes, I have a bigger stack of PS2 keyboards than Mac USB, and no I have never gotten any of them to work with a PS2 to USB adapter)

First off, there are different Mac USB keyboards. I have the following which work and are recognized by a PC... at least by WinXP (sp3):
Model A1048 (ca 2003), all white "G4" with Eject, no Power key
Model M7803 (ca 2000), black keys on silver "monochrome G3", Eject

I also have an M2452 (1998) "Grape G3" keyboard with Power/no Eject, but the PC doesn't recognize it any more than it does a PS2 keyboard with a USB adapter.

I've tried all of the key combinations in this weblog with both the A1048 and M7803 and NONE of them work. I even took the M7803 (which is the most PC-like) and tried 3,4, F12, F13, F14 and F15, each alone and then with each and every combination of Control, Alt, Mac-Command (4-Leaf-Clover) and Shift - yes, all 16 combinations - and none of them worked. Then for good measure I tried the Help, Home, Page Up/Down, End, Delete, all three Sound Volume and Eject, both alone and with Control and MacCommand+Control and none of those worked either.

Though Claudiu's remap.reg fix did not work either (I did the above test with the A1048 before and after, and the M7803 after his reg update), it's probably just a matter of some tweaking for different keyboard models and keymaps to get it to work.

In the meanwhile, I'm using "On-Screen Keyboard" until I (or someone else like Claudiu) can go and lookup the code/keymap for specific Mac keyboards and how they map to the PC keyboards.

Thanks and Mahalos!
Johnathan
03-06-2009

Collapse -
Print Screen Key on a Mac
by oncfari / December 3, 2009 9:14 AM PST

Several of these posts talk about using F13-F15 keys on a Mac. I have a fairly new MacBook Pro (< 18 months old) and a MacBook Duo -- NEITHER of which has a keyboard that goes past F12. Am I the only person on the planet that has this version of Mac laptops or what??! This is crazy -- and not at all helpful to me in solving the problem.

Collapse -
In Lieu of Print Screen Key on a Mac
by Terri NV / January 20, 2010 8:34 AM PST

When using your intel based MacBook Pro while running either Windows 7 or Vista, you can use the Windows Snipping Tool. It is found in the Accessories folder. If you don't see it there in Vista, you may need to turn on the Tablet PC options. Why this useful screen capture program is tied into Tablet PC options is unclear to me.

The Snipping Tool does screen capture of selected areas, the active window, and the entire desktop.

Hope this helps!

Collapse -
Snipping tools
by uroscadez / November 24, 2010 6:01 AM PST

Best Answer. Easy. Clean. Works. Thank you !

Collapse -
Snipit works great, thanks a lot
by SavvyBizChick / April 7, 2011 2:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Snipping tools

there's also something for the MAC side of things in Utilities, called Grabber. Similar to SnipIt/snipping tools on the PC side. Thanks for all your suggestions.

Collapse -
How do i print screen on a PC with a Mac Keyboard??
by remoteprepress / October 23, 2008 11:53 PM PDT
Collapse -
AppleKeys2 works!
by jsmbrown / April 9, 2009 3:09 PM PDT

Thanks, "cfagan"! Once AppleKeys is installed and run, F13 acts like the PrintScreen key. Just what I was looking for, with no extra screen clutter or need for the mouse. With On-Screen Keyboard, I have to keep the top row of keys with "PrtScn" visible, then have to click it with the mouse and include it in the screen shot.

PS SHIFT-CNTRL-ALT, before or concurrent with F14 (or F13 or F15) does nothing on my M7803 "Pro" keyboard.

Collapse -
YAY!! THANK YOU!
by wendyprofit / January 7, 2010 3:48 AM PST
In reply to: AppleKeys2 works!

Apple2 Keys worked for me, I have been trying to figure this out for months, thanks SO much!

Collapse -
YOU ARE THE MAN/WOMAN
by cyberlight52 / July 30, 2009 3:33 AM PDT

APPLEKEYS 2 WORKS AWESOME!!!! THANK YOU SOOOOOOOO MUCH!

Collapse -
USE THE ON SCREEN KEYBOARD
by coolgie / November 11, 2008 1:41 PM PST

USE THE ON SCREEN KEYBOARD From the start menu go to accessories and the Accessibility probly on works in xp but try it

Collapse -
SHIFT+CTRL+ALT AND THAN PRESS F14
by huwey / December 3, 2008 10:31 AM PST

SHIFT+CTRL+ALT AND THAN PRESS F14
paste anywhere you want, photoshop or word document... it works!

Collapse -
This Works!
by eperkins2 / June 22, 2009 5:09 AM PDT

Use the F14 key on the Mac keyboard.

I have an iMac running bootcamp and Windows XP. Using a Mac keyboard, I have found that hitting F14 will capture an entire screen. It works just like the print screen button on a PC keyboard.

Someone said that the F13 key does this, but it does not. Use the F14 key.

Collapse -
To summarize what works and what doesn't...
by jsmbrown / June 22, 2009 7:06 AM PDT

... at least for me, with an IBM Thinkcentre or a Dell Dimension 4600, both running 32 bit Win XP Pro with all the latest updates installed and using any one of the following Mac USB keyboards:

Model A1048 (ca 2003), all white "G4" with Eject, no Power key
Model M7803 (ca 2000), black keys on silver "monochrome G3", w/ Eject
M2452 (1998) "Grape G3" keyboard with Power/no Eject, and no F13 or F14 (or any function key greater than F12 for that matter)

What does work:

AppleKeys2 -
Go to http://www.dieselstation.com/software/ and download Applekeys 2 and use F13 to print screen. (from "remotepress" above)

On-Screen Keyboard -
Of course you have to have it as the foreground program, with the "psc" key in a visible area of the screen to get the mouse cursor to it, but, hey, it works and you don't have to download it.

What would [almost certainly] work with the right settings:
editing the keymap in remap.reg (from Claudiu Nemes)

What doesn't work... at least with any of my configurations:
No combination of F12-F15, 3 nor 4 with any combination of "meta" keys such as
"Shift"
"Control"
"Option" - the "Alt" key
"Command" - the "Apple" or "4-leaf clover" key that maps to the "Windows" (?) key of a PC keyboard.
(SHIFT-CNTRL-ALT before or concurrent with either F13 or F14 does not work for me)

Would people posting in the future please include which model [number] Apple USB keyboard and which version of Windows they are using?

And in the meanwhile, I'll continue using AppleKeys2!

Collapse -
applekeys and excel
by maichrcol / October 5, 2009 5:22 AM PDT

just a little fyi... applekeys doesn't seem to want to play with Excel. I tried to screen shot an excel sheet and it just doesn't pick up anything. Thought I forgot the key stroke. Drove me crazy for about 5 minutes but then I tried just capturing the desktop and that worked find. Tried capturing half a dozen other things and it worked just fine but it won't capture anything when excel is in the picture.

Collapse -
Print Screen on Mac Keyboard with Windows &
by coffee77433 / February 28, 2010 1:23 AM PST

This is a bit of a pain but it worked....

Go to start, in the search bar type "On-Screen Keyboard". Run the program and it has a PrtScn key. Click on it with your mouse and it works.

Collapse -
Found your answer!
by zeroxz626 / March 31, 2010 3:01 AM PDT

Fn+Shift+F11, try it on and paste it on paint!

Collapse -
(NT) But my Mac keyboard does not have an FN key!
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 31, 2010 10:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Found your answer!
Collapse -
Thank You!
by hlgbccheer / May 3, 2011 7:16 PM PDT
In reply to: Found your answer!

Now THAT's the answer that I was looking for...paste it into paint was the trick that I was missing!!!!!! It's been so long since I'd used a PC that I'd forgotten to use paint. Fn+shift+F11, as recommended by others and on other forums, was not sufficient, as the printscreen itself wasn't "going" anywhere, you need to paste it into paint of course! THANK YOU! (I didn't feel like downloading yet another piece of software, or trying to scrounge up a different keyboard to use for 2 seconds with my MacBook Pro, and the onscreen keyboard wouldn't work with the software that I'm using which I needed a printscreen of either.)

Collapse -
Win 7 Snipit captures screenshots
by SavvyBizChick / April 11, 2010 7:50 AM PDT

In programs, Accessories, you will find a utility called Snipit - Win7. You can save it to your taskbar. It will snip parts of what's on the screen or grab the entire thing. Made my day when I learned about this. I am running Win7 on Bootcamp on a Macbook Pro so have no F13 key either. Hope this makes your day, too!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.