Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

How do i print screen on a PC with a Mac Keyboard??

by cfagan / February 16, 2004 3:06 AM PST

I have a PC with a MAC keyboard. Since there is no "print screen" button, the PC won't do a screen grab. Is there a way around this?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do i print screen on a PC with a Mac Keyboard??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do i print screen on a PC with a Mac Keyboard??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:How do i print screen on a PC with a Mac Keyboard??
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 16, 2004 3:35 AM PST
Collapse -
great answer (not)
by ramb0 / May 11, 2005 1:08 PM PDT

what a ridiculous answer, why must you waste peoples time

Collapse -
I second about the 'great answer'
by jgwill / June 17, 2005 3:07 PM PDT
In reply to: great answer (not)

Yeah, what a ridiculous answer... I supposed, some time, people who have found an answer DONT want to give the source of their discovery to other so they step from IGNORANCE to someone who know how to do the thing !!

Anyways, enough second language level...

Searching the same answer and non-comunicative people piss me off !

Collapse -
Then this will rile you
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 18, 2005 12:00 AM PDT

I offered an alternative answer so they could get by.

If you need help in the future, are you paving the road properly?

Collapse -
Your Answer
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 11, 2005 9:37 PM PDT

I'm not sure how your answer fits into the scheme of things here Bob.

Collapse -
Please supply
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 11, 2005 9:42 PM PDT
In reply to: Your Answer

The answer that fits into the scheme of things.

For what its worth, the poster posted a PC question in a Mac forum. I supplied a google that finds replacement programs that will cure the issue.

If you feel my answer is not right, supply what you think is the right answer.

-> Point? If you want the forum to be full of members flaming each others answers, keep it up. This is not how these forums work. Give your answer and let them choose.

Do however butt in if you find an answer to cause other issues such as total data loss.

Collapse -
So Glad
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 12, 2005 8:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Please supply

That you feel it necessary to rebuke to milder question to your answer.
The user posted a question which would have gone unanswered in the PC forum.
As to supplying the correct answer, I did that before you got annoyed with the wrong person

Collapse -
Build the community.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 12, 2005 9:55 AM PDT
In reply to: So Glad

Be assured I will not be panning your replies.

We need all the Mac help we can get around here,

Collapse -
Print Screen
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 11, 2005 9:34 PM PDT

I have not tried this for Print Screen but it works with other combinations of Keyboards for other things.
The Print Screen key is actually the F13 key on either keyboard. On the PC it is marked Print Screen and on the Mac it is just F13. Go ahead and try the usual PC key combination, using the F13 key, to Print Screen. Theoretically, it should capture the screen and allow you to paste it into a Text document.

Let us know if it works

Collapse -
print screen
by bri17213 / May 24, 2007 1:21 PM PDT
In reply to: Print Screen

what if u don't have F13

Collapse -
(NT) I have some spare that I could sell you
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 24, 2007 9:54 PM PDT
In reply to: print screen
Collapse -
Read the entire discussion.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 24, 2007 9:56 PM PDT
In reply to: print screen

Alternatives were offered along with some other tips.

Collapse -
Cut to the Quick on Screen Printing
by taboma. / June 7, 2005 2:25 PM PDT

On the Mac and keyboard: Hold down the Apple command key plus the shift key and press the numeral #4. After that you will get a marquie with cross hairs on it. Place the crosshair marquie and drag over the image. You will hear a faint click, like a camera shutter. The Image will be placed to your desktop as a PDF file in OSX 70DPI. And on the hard drive in OS9.

Hold down the Apple command key plus the shift key and press the numeral #3. That will get you a full screen shot that is saved to your hard drive. Usually listed as a Picture file and so forth.

That's how it's done on a Mac. May be more difficult on the PC with a Mac keyboard. Nice question!
Why would you use a Mac keyboard on a PC in the first place! Doesn't the PC have a pull-down menu to print the screen? Why use the keyboard at all?

Collapse -
by bri17213 / May 25, 2007 2:01 AM PDT

how do i find the Apple key

Collapse -
by rbedi / August 16, 2007 10:36 PM PDT

Maybe the one that is shaped like an apple...? Happy It is the one in the lower left hand corner of the keyboard. Around where the ctrl, windows, and alt keys are on a pc. Hope this helps!

Collapse -
Thanks Kevin
by JasonWDC / June 12, 2007 5:11 AM PDT

Those instructions worked perfectly for me. Since I have a MacBook Pro, I have no F13 key. These instructions were very helpful!

Collapse -
Why use a MAC keyboard on an IBM compatible
by groovygrl / September 3, 2007 9:46 AM PDT

The answer is very simple. The very small MAC keyboard is great because of it's size. That is exactly why I am ditching my keyboard and buying one. I don't want or need all the extra keys, I like simplicity. However, I would not purchase one if the print screen option was not available. Thanks for providing the answer.

Collapse -
Simple work-around for XP users
by MasterOfNone / September 26, 2006 3:56 AM PDT

I feel your pain. I use Boot Camp to dual boot XP and OS X, so I run into these issues quite a bit.

Go to Accessories/Accessability in the start menu and select the On-Screen Keyboard.

That will give you a print screen button you can click with your mouse. (Using the On-Screen Keyboard will not change the active window, so you can even grab just the window you want).

Collapse -
Exactly What I Needed
by andybot2000 / November 21, 2006 9:51 AM PST

Thanks for posting a real solution. This helped me a ton.

Collapse -
by tauntonlake / May 17, 2007 10:58 PM PDT

My sentiments exactly. I have a Macbook with a dual Windows boot, and for the longest time, could not get any of the keyboard combinations to do a Print Screen for me.

Your OnScreen Keyboard solution is perfect, and I would never have known about it I hadn't seen your post.

Thank you! What a simple solution :))

Collapse -
Print screen using a MacBook keyboard
by HonouredMatre / May 31, 2007 3:19 AM PDT

by MasterOfNone - 26/09/06 10:56
In reply to: How do i print screen on a PC with a Mac Keyboard?? by cfagan

Go to Accessories/Accessability in the start menu and select the On-Screen Keyboard.

That will give you a print screen button you can click with your mouse. (Using the On-Screen Keyboard will not change the active window, so you can even grab just the window you want).

I tried what you suggested, which worked fine, except that it captured the on-screen keyboard as well! I also tried the 'active window' capture, by clicking on the alt key, but that didn't work at all.

I know the other work-around is to use the screen capture feature of a paint package program, which is what I'm doing at the moment, but it's a little long-winded. I never thought I'd miss that simple but very effective key combination! It was so much quicker and easier.

I think I must be doing something wrong. By the way, I'm using a MacBook, which may or may not make a difference to anything, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

If there are any other suggestions, or any pointers as to where I might be going wrong, I'd be extremely grateful to try them.

Collapse -
(NT) I take it you didn't like the other suggestions?
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 31, 2007 4:45 AM PDT
Collapse -
Print screen using a Mac keyboard
by HonouredMatre / May 31, 2007 11:26 PM PDT

It's not that I didn't like them. From what I read of them, I do not have a F13 key (or 14 or 15 etc, come to that), I'm familiar with, and use, the relevant key combination when using Mac's OS, and I'm not technically savvy (or confident) enough to mess with code. I also have neither the time nor the patience to roadtest every Google link.

The tip offered by MasterOfNone seemed perfectly reasonable until I tried it out. Unless I've missed something, I didn't see any other suggestions.

Collapse -
works for me
by impala / June 22, 2007 3:34 PM PDT

The active window capture works for me. Use the <alt> key on the OSK and click <psc>. Just make sure the on screen keyboard doesn't overlap the window you are trying to capture.

Collapse -
And me too ... now!
by HonouredMatre / June 22, 2007 9:32 PM PDT
In reply to: works for me

Thank you for your reply.

I had already worked out that moving the OSK would ensure it didn't get captured as well. What I didn't realise, when trying the active window capture, was that I had to deselct the <alt> key after clicking on the <psc> key.

Please take note, people: NEVER make assumptions when giving instructions - include EVERY SINGLE STEP. Idiot-proof info is absolutely essential for brain-dead prats like me!

Thanks again.

Collapse -
by nico4k / October 12, 2006 5:59 AM PDT

January 22, 2003
Todd Miller is using an Apple Pro USB keyboard on a Windows machine, and found a way to remap the F13, F14, and F15 keys so that they act as the Windows Print Screen, Scroll Lock, and Break functions. His method involves creating a text with registry information.

I use my Apple brand USB keyboard with a USB KVM switch to control both my Macs and a PC. It works great, except I was missing the Print Screen key because the Mac sends an F13 instead of Print Screen. I came across this registry edit that will map the F13-F15 to their PC counterparts. I have tested this on my Windows 2000 machine and I think it should also work on XP. This allows the user to press F13 on the Mac keyboard and have Windows receive a Print Screen command instead of F13.

Follow these instructions In order to map the F13-F15 keys on an Apple USB keyboard to the functions, Print Screen, Scroll Lock, and Break commonly found on PC keyboards:

1. On your PC, copy the following lines into a text file.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout]

"Scancode Map"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,04,00,00,00,46,E0,5F,00,46,00,5E,00,37,E0,5D,00,00,00,00,00

2. Rename the text file remap.reg.

3. Double click on the file remap.reg and answer yes to the question about adding the information to the registry.

4. Reboot.

Function keys are now remapped to their PC equivalents.

Collapse -
ok, if you are really stuck :
by zeffii / May 25, 2007 7:26 PM PDT

i haven't found the default remap for the printscreen key (yet), but in the meantime you can do start->run-> type in "OSK" -> hit enter.

this pops OnScreenKeyboard and i us it to printscreen very often. beside f12 there is the psc key.

i kinda miss the spaces between the grouped F keys, but like most things this i'm sure will take getting familiar with to overcome.

Collapse -
by zeffii / May 25, 2007 7:29 PM PDT

i failed to see the last two comments. Thanks ! regedit it is Happy

Collapse -
Thanks I got it...
by Tito Caicedo / August 6, 2007 8:21 AM PDT

I stumbled on this forum asking the same question...

I want to point out it is a very relative question to this or any mac forum... remember intel macs run windows...

Someone here posted that it should be f13 key... I tried but it didn't work...
Then i tried f14 key and Voila...
curious thing is f14 is right where the print screen should be...

Collapse -
Print Screen on a PC with a Mac Keyboard
by clmroch / September 24, 2007 4:12 AM PDT

I had the same problem... the easy fix here is to use the Windows On-Screen Keyboard found in: Start > Programs > Accessories > Accessibility > On-Screen Keyboard.

Then, just click the "PSC" button next to the F12 key. Tada!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.