Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

Question

How do I permanently get rid of Babylon Search Browser?

by Prunella1456 / July 11, 2012 4:36 AM PDT

I have been trying for days to get rid of Babylon browser. I think it got downloaded when I updated Mozilla Firefox. My computer uses Microsoft XP.

Please help this poor novice computer user; I am way over my head - dealing with this annoying Babylon software is going to give me gray hairs before my time. Thank you.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I permanently get rid of Babylon Search Browser?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I permanently get rid of Babylon Search Browser?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Remove from Firefox search.
by KenHusveg / July 11, 2012 4:56 AM PDT
Collapse -
Answer
How to kill the Babylon Virus
by zorathruster / September 19, 2012 12:09 PM PDT

Its a rather nasty little ******, designed by the people you trusted .... poor choice as it turns out.They proclaim that you are given a choice...not so, I selected "no" to every question and got the cootie anyhoo

There are three parts to kill this monster.

Part one.

"Un install from the uninstall programs section of the control panel."

Part two.

Go into the tools section of which ever browser you used.
Under "manage add-ons" select the critters causing the search problem.
Select "more information". On that page are several details "class id" is one of them. On Internet Explorer it is the last selection.

The first part of class id is a sequence of numbers and letters. All you need are the first 6 - 8 of them. You are going to search for the sequence.

Next go to start and put in "regedit"

Select the Computer and that is where you will start your search.

Do a search for (those 6-8 letter number combination) that you copied from the class id.

Everywhere you find that sequence - kill that low life scum sucking perversion from the planet.

Next back to the top. Do a search for the word "Babylon".

Everywhere you find that word - kill that low life scum sucking perversion from the planet.

Death to Babylon.

Collapse -
CNET's fault
by RunawayPancake / October 7, 2012 1:13 PM PDT

"They proclaim that you are given a choice...not so, I selected 'no' to every question and got the cootie anyhoo."

"They" being CNET. The same happened to me - i.e. I downloaded selected software from the CNET site, answering "no" to all of the requests to download additional, unrequested software. Result - I was infected with Babylon.

Before this, I thought CNET was reputable and stupidly trusted them. That trust turned out to be misplaced. Never again. My "choice" from now on is to avoid CNET. If their management decisions are this poor when it comes to downloads, how can you trust their reviews?

Collapse -
Answer
I finally got rid of Babylon!
by faye1233 / January 5, 2013 3:35 AM PST

Went to Start and then Search. In the C drive I typed Babylon. All the componants came up and I deleted them. Now it is gone for good and my computer is running great. Hope this works for you!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.