Windows 7 forum

How do i partition my 1TB HD which has just one volume ?

by uditranjan18 / January 30, 2013 5:52 PM PST

I want to partition the hard disk since there is just one volume C ( OS) and install ubuntu also. Do i need to take a backup of my data? Also, does another volume contain the new OS ubuntu?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do i partition my 1TB HD which has just one volume ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do i partition my 1TB HD which has just one volume ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Did you try to do this?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 30, 2013 11:41 PM PST

And yes, for any reason we always have a backup of what we can't lose. Hard drives fail all the time and some folk are not prepared. does not go into great detail but the last time I did that I did not have to partition the drive. I select the option to install Ubuntu alongside the install OS and the installer made the room for me.

Some folk don't try that and lose weeks or months trying to partition when if they had gone ahead and followed the directions they would have been done.

Collapse -
Right. I didnt try this
by uditranjan18 / January 31, 2013 3:05 PM PST

And I think it makes sense to take a backup and use use a partitioning program, just in case.

Collapse -
So again, why use something else than the installer?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 1, 2013 12:15 AM PST

The installer makes room for the "along side" install without you worrying about if you are using a good partition software or if you are partitioning properly.

I don't see any upside to "use use a partitioning program, just in case."

All Answers

Collapse -
Re: partitioning
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 30, 2013 6:03 PM PST

You've got to use a partitioning program to shrink the current partition. That leave x GB of unallocated space that the Ubuntu install will use to install Ubuntu on in a dual-boot configuration.

Just in case anything goes wrong during the shrinking, it makes sense to make an image-backup first. Most likely (99,9% or more) you won't need it, but in that 0,1 or 0,01% of the cases you lose everything. But that's your choice.

Collapse -
Partitioning is easy.
by spittsp / January 31, 2013 1:39 PM PST

I used Easeus Partition Manager (free) to shrink the partition that Windows 7 (500 GB) was on to create two other partitions. I then downloaded Ubuntu and installed it to one of the newly created partitions. I am now able to dual-boot either Windows 7 or Ubuntu. Easeus was easy to use and Ubuntu did the rest. I lost nothing in shrinking the partition and had no problems in creating two others. It was easy and I am no computer whiz.

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks. Should try this.
by uditranjan18 / January 31, 2013 3:05 PM PST
In reply to: Partitioning is easy.
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.