Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

How do I organize playlists on WMP 10

by Jedi_1 / March 11, 2006 11:57 AM PST

I guess Ive been spoiled by iTunes, but I still cant find an easy way to organize playlistson WMP 10 by track name, artist, or anything else! If anyone knows how to please tell me and thanks in advance Happy

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I organize playlists on WMP 10
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I organize playlists on WMP 10
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Add to library...
by John.Wilkinson / March 11, 2006 12:08 PM PST

WMP10 can actually do all of this for you. In WMP, click on the Library 'tab' at the top, and then on the bottom click "add to library" followed by your option. Once added to your library all music that's properly tagged will be organized in the playlists album artist, album, genre, rating, etc. You can play music from here at any time.

Another option of selecting music to play once loaded into your library is by using the Quick Access panel, which is the little arrow to the right of the "Now Playing" 'tab.' From there you can select artist, genre, and album, as well as custom playlists, such as evening music, not recently played, etc, most of which is created automatically. Personally, I feel it's even better than iTunes once you get used to it.

Enjoy! Happy
John

Collapse -
Thats cool, but it really doesnt solve my problem
by Jedi_1 / March 11, 2006 12:13 PM PST
In reply to: Add to library...

I want to know how to organize playlist by artist, track,album, rating, etc

Collapse -
Clarification...
by John.Wilkinson / March 11, 2006 12:38 PM PST

WMP's auto playlists do that...once a song is added it is automatically placed into auto playlists by categories of artists, album, rating, etc. For instance, if I go Quick Access Panel->Artists->Bach it will automatically load all songs in my library by Bach and play them in a random order. If I go Quick Access Panel->Genres->Classical, it'll automatically load all classical music by all artists/composers and play in a random order. Thus, all of this is done for you automatically, not manually; all you have to do is load it into the library then tell it what you want it to play by.

I guess I don't understand your question. If the auto playlists are not doing what you'd like, could you clarify what exactly you're looking to do?

John

Collapse -
Let me clarify
by Jedi_1 / March 11, 2006 10:30 PM PST
In reply to: Clarification...

To be honest iTunes is the only jukebox app im familar with so Ill use that as an example.
In iTunes you can create your own playlists then load them with all the music you want. Once the music is loaded in your created playlists(WMP calls them "My Playlists")you can organize those songs by name, artist,album, time, by clicking the appropriate column.
My question is how do you do that with "My Playlists" on WMP

Collapse -
Ah...I see...
by John.Wilkinson / March 12, 2006 12:46 AM PST
In reply to: Let me clarify

That's one thing WMP doesn't do well...it expects you to rely on the auto playlists more than your own. If you go into Auto playlists you can click a column header and have the contents sorted accordingly...you can't do that with your own playlists.

There is a way around this, though:
* Above your Now Playing list in the right pane there's a drop-down menu.
* Clear List.
* Open Playlist->custom playlist
* Sort->preferred method of sorting
* Your 'Now Playing' list is now sorted.
* If you want to save the sorting, you have to save the Now Playing list as a personal playlist. (Save Playlist As...)

It's a little tedious, but it does get the job done.

Hope this helps,
John

P.S. Out of curiosity, if you know and prefer iTunes why did you switch to WMP? If it's for compatibility reasons, have you looked into Winamp?

Collapse -
Well...
by Jedi_1 / March 12, 2006 4:22 AM PST
In reply to: Ah...I see...

I still like and use iTunes but the Creative Zen Micro Photo doesnt support iTunes so I had to either use MediaSource or WMP and WMP just happened to suck less than MediaSource.
I havent look at WinAmp but if its compatible with the micro photo then I'll give it a shot(but is it?).

Collapse -
It should...
by John.Wilkinson / March 12, 2006 6:08 AM PST
In reply to: Well...

There's nothing noted on Creative's site, but Winamp's site states it is compatible with all iPods, Creative devices, and MP3 players marked as PlaysForSure. It does have a free version, so give it a try...nothing lost if it doesn't work.

Good luck.
John

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) In your experience is it better than WMP 10?
by Jedi_1 / March 12, 2006 7:13 AM PST
In reply to: It should...
Collapse -
User preference...
by John.Wilkinson / March 12, 2006 7:59 AM PST

Winamp is a little more powerful and customizable than WMP and has a loyal following, especially those from the younger audience. I tried it and just didn't like the feel, and for a while used the Pro. version of MusicMatch. When WMP10 came out it won me back from a music player that was steadily going down hill (harder to use, increased stability issues, and a new awful UI) after version 7.0. (Yahoo bought it out and hasn't done a good job with it.) I just like it's layout (I've tweaked it so it's as close to WMP11 as possible), the auto playlists are perfect for me, and I haven't had any compatibility issues with music subscriptions that some others do. (Winamp has gotten over those now, though others still suffer.)

John

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Alright...I'll try it
by Jedi_1 / March 12, 2006 8:08 AM PST
In reply to: User preference...
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.