Computer Help forum

General discussion

How do I optimize the speed and performance of my computer?

by seanny rotten / April 10, 2010 2:27 AM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I optimize the speed and performance of my computer?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I optimize the speed and performance of my computer?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 10, 2010 2:35 AM PDT

Are you Ronald Graham? That link you supplied took me to a discussion by Ronald Graham. Also there was another odd entry about 12 hours and no reply.

What you need to know is that many companies are essentially backlogged to the point of a reply may take days to weeks. If you need a faster answer you use the phone or other fast means of communication.

Email is going to be the slowest means to get support.

Collapse -
I am not Ronald Graham
by seanny rotten / April 10, 2010 3:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Odd.

but I did reply to that thread about issues w/ AVG 9.0 and those issues are now moot. In retrospect, including that link was really confusing and a bad idea.

The point is I did all of the things listed here: and my computer is still sluggish. How do I help my computer overcome its sluggishness?

Thanks in advance.

Collapse -
CNET to the Rescue Forum
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 10, 2010 4:48 AM PDT
In reply to: I am not Ronald Graham

Try the Computer Help forum. It's a bit off topic here but more on topic in the right forums.

I re-read your posts and you may want to reveal the make, model and more details. For example it could be anything but there is so little to work with that a good post with the right details in an active forum would be best.

Collapse -
??? so is this thread alive?
by Dango517 / April 12, 2010 8:41 AM PDT

Add RAM (We do need your PCs specs..)

Remove as many seldom used programs from you PC as possible and reduce also those that automatically start.

Reduce your visual settings.

Run defrags often.

Collapse -
More info.

More info is needed. What OS, cpu, hard drive, ram are you dealing with here? Is your hard drive nearly maxed? If it is over about 80%, then defrag can't do it's job. It's all about resources, ie... processor speed, free ram and hard drive speed and swap space. Open task manager, processes tab, sort by cpu usage, then by memory usage to see if something is hogging resources.

Collapse -
optimize computer...
by OldSk00l / May 8, 2010 11:32 AM PDT

Without knowing what your computer specs are it's difficult to give definitive advice. It's like calling the mechanic and saying that your car is running slow and expecting them to figure out what's wrong without seeing the vehicle.

The link you provided regarding Microsoft optimization recommendations;

Did you check the boxes as shown in the area under Remove temporary files? The boxes I mean are the ones noted as "Compress drive..." and "Allow Indexing Service...". If you did, you will want to uncheck one box then select Apply. When that process is complete, uncheck the other box and select Apply. Then defragment the hard drive.

Hope fully this may help.

Collapse -
Change the operating system

This will do more than you think.

Collapse -
Change Op System?
by KenFF1 / May 11, 2010 2:23 AM PDT

You don't need to change the operating system. (Unless your thinking of Linux).

Simply reinstall the one you are running!!!!

The main problem is the registry. This file grows when you add programs to the system and if you look at what was added when you loaded your "free trial starter" version of Photoshop (for instance) you will be absolutely gobsmacked by the size of it.

The registry is an "active" file whenever windows is running and therefore can not be defragged or cleaned up. You may have never used your free software and you may even have uninstalled it but the space is still in the directory.

If you figure how many "free" software apps you have tried over the last 2 - 3 years you will start to get some just idea how big this monster has grown to.

Your problem is that Windows tries to load the registry into memory - since is uses for everything that it does, it needs to have immediate and swift access to it to run smoothly.

When you have been running Windows for a couple of years, the registry is so large that it takes noticibly longer to start up, worse than that, the registry no longer fits in to memory so has to be cached out onto the page file (swap file, virtual memory). THEN, every time any program needs info to start up OR OPERATE, Windows has to thrash thru' Virtual Memory (more aptly named the "Swap File")!!!

That's why adding memory REALLY helps speed up your computer!

This is more Microsoft crap and they really should have addressed this problem 12 years ago but I guess it doesn't pay them to do anything about it!

If anyone knows of some program that will fix the registry without re-building it (Re-install Windows) PLEASE POST IT HERE.

Collapse -
Please stop
by Jimmy Greystone / May 17, 2010 11:00 PM PDT
In reply to: Change Op System?

Please stop spreading the same misinformation about the Windows registry that has been going around ever since about the time of Windows95. Almost none of what you said is actually true.

The registry has little to do with overall performance of the system. It's just a very simple database, that's all. It's nothing but plain text, so it doesn't even take up that much in the way of memory. So there's little harm in having a bunch of orphan entries in the registry. You're talking about using a few extra bytes of memory, tops.

There is no need for registry fixers/cleaners/whatever, just like defragmenters are programs that stopped being useful about 10 years ago, if not longer.

The one and only thing you said that I can agree with, is that Microsoft should have come up with a better solution to the registry ages ago. In some ways the registry is better than the old .ini system that came before it, but it's also a single point of failure now.

Collapse -

Hey johnny rotten. Every few days I Run a complete ADVANCED SYSTEM CARE and SMART DEFRAG (use the deep otimize option). Then I run CCLEANER to clean out files I don't need and then clean up the registry. You can also use CCLEANER to check on your system's start-up programs and get rid of the ones you don't want. This seems to keep my VISTA operating satisfactorily. One caveat though, I would perform a system backup before cleaning and deleting files and registry items. Better to be safe than sorry, you know!

I have noticed that my system has lots of extra files building up out in the OS directories. I am thinking about backing up everything worthwhile, reformatting the HD and reinstalling VISTA and drivers. Of course, you have to run MS updates over and over again until you have updated all MS changes. When I first got my DELL it came with a bunch of junk I did not want such as NORTON and dial-up services that they wanted to sell after a trial run. Then reinstalling the OS was how I got rid of it. All that junk does not come on the MS disks.

Collapse -
by Randy Walter / May 17, 2010 7:23 PM PDT
In reply to: SPEEDO

Collapse -
Locking This One.
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 19, 2010 6:50 AM PDT

Too many personal attacks to let the discussion continue. There should be enough in the current responses for the original poster to move forward.

Hope this helps.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.