Desktops forum

General discussion

How do I open a Dell Desktop?

by Jaspell / June 2, 2006 9:59 AM PDT

OK, I feel really stupid but how do I open the case to my new Dell Dimension 1100? I want to instal a wireless PCI adaptor.

It appears that the case is riveted shut. There must be a simple way to open it that is eluding me but idont see the usual screws or anything....

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I open a Dell Desktop?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I open a Dell Desktop?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Check the system manual ....fi you cannot find it....
by VAPCMD / June 2, 2006 1:11 PM PDT

go to the Dell WEB Site and download it.

Collapse -
Re:
by WhyFi / June 2, 2006 1:15 PM PDT

I'm not overly familiar with Dells, but the ones that I've had some hands-on time with opened like clam shells - there should be large, recessed, oval-shaped buttons on the top and bottom of the case. With the case laying on it's side and facing away from you, push in those buttons and open - it opens towards you (the back), the hinges are in the front.

If your case design is different from what I've described, I'm just as lost...

Good luck!

Collapse -
Trust me, that doesn't make you stupid.
by strickjh2005 / June 6, 2006 5:10 PM PDT
Collapse -
I agree...
by nathanpsz2 / June 7, 2006 7:51 AM PDT

...I spent 30 minutes trying to figure out how to open the case of the family Dimension 4400.

Collapse -
I like them
by Brianstech / June 8, 2006 8:59 PM PDT

I've worked on many Dells, and really enjoy how easily they open. I wish all cases were screwless.

I've even added RAM from underneath the desk, while the operator takes a two minute break. The only tool needed is a flashlight. No unplugging, no screws to lose, just push the button and pop the side cover off. I don't even lay them on their sides.

Collapse -
desktop or laptop
by Jaspel / June 9, 2006 12:27 AM PDT
In reply to: I like them

Actually, I think they are talking about a laptop here.

Collapse -
wrong
by Jaspel / June 9, 2006 12:31 AM PDT
In reply to: desktop or laptop

nervermind, its a desktop, i clicked on the wrong branch.

Collapse -
Look at the Dell Dimension 1100 user guide for help
by francoghlan / June 8, 2006 9:30 PM PDT

Use the following link to view the Dell Dimension 1100 user guide:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim1100/EN/index.htm#online_documentation

Removing the Computer Cover
Dell? Dimension? 1100/B110 Systems Service Manual

CAUTION: Before you begin any of the procedures in this section, follow the safety instructions located in the Product Information Guide.
CAUTION: To guard against electrical shock, always unplug your computer from the electrical outlet before opening the cover.

Follow the procedures in Before You Begin.

Lay your computer on its side with the computer cover facing up.

If your computer cover has a cover latch, slide and hold the cover latch.

Grip the indents on the computer cover, and slide the computer cover toward the back of the computer.

Place the computer cover on a level surface.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) lol link to that was in my post.
by strickjh2005 / June 9, 2006 9:37 AM PDT
Collapse -
Opening Dell cover
by colavecd / March 24, 2014 1:14 AM PDT

OMG! How easy was that?! Thanks, awesome instructions.

Collapse -
How do I open a Dell Desktop?
by pcrx_greg / June 9, 2006 2:48 PM PDT
Collapse -
how do I open my dell computer?
by burnerjan / April 8, 2009 6:51 AM PDT

I have a dell dimension 4600 computer and can't open the case. Please help!!!

Collapse -
Openning a Dell desk top PC POSTED 8/30/09.
by chevstock / August 30, 2009 8:36 AM PDT

DIMENSION 8200 SERIES. I CAN GET THE RELEASE HANDLE TO ALLOW ME TO OPEN THE CASE OR ENCLOSURE TO ADD MEMORY. THE PC MANUAL AND ORIGINAL INSTRUCTIONS DO NOT SHOW OR EXPLAIN WHAT TO DO IN THIS SITUATION.i NEED HELP.
FC

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.