Computer Newbies forum

Resolved Question

How do I move stuff to my D drive?

by rbspot / December 16, 2011 9:00 AM PST

When I bought my Acer Aspire laptop I noticed that most files were in my C drive. After a few years of use the C drive is pretty full while the D drive is practically empty; it has over 35 GB free capacity. I thought of moving the folder 'My documents' (of size 6 GB) to the D drive. How do I do that?

rbspot has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I move stuff to my D drive?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I move stuff to my D drive?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by rbspot

Collapse -
What I would do . . .
by Coryphaeus / December 16, 2011 9:13 PM PST

If you simply move the "My Documents" folder to the other drive you may hose up any links to that folder. What I would do is find specifically what I wanted to move such as pictures, files, documents, etc. and then drag and drop to the D: drive.

Then, again, it may not be specific files that are filling up the C: drive. Installed programs could be the culprit. If this is the case you would need to uninstall them and reinstall them on the D: drive. The down side to this is that most programs will not install on any drive other than C:.

Collapse -
Coryphaeus
by rbspot / December 17, 2011 12:07 AM PST
In reply to: What I would do . . .

THANKS

Collapse -
Answer
Right click the My Documents folder
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 16, 2011 9:08 AM PST

select Properties, then look for a tab that allows you to move the folder and its contents.

Be careful. Make sure you have backups of all these files anyway, and if you ever have to reinstall the OS, note that a new My Documents is likely to be created in the old location.

If this were me though, I would just create a new folder on the D drive and copy the files over.

Mark

Collapse -
just create a new folder on the D drive and copy the files o
by rbspot / December 16, 2011 8:46 PM PST

Thanks for this. I want to clarify I understood right. You mean I create a new folder called 'My Documents' in the D drive, then I click and drag folders from my C:My Documents to my D:My Documents? When all contents from my C:My Documents are safely in the D:My Documents I delet the C:My Documents. Is that it?

Collapse -
Yep, that's right in general
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 16, 2011 9:30 PM PST

But I wouldn't even name them the same.

For example I use a second hard drive to store all my documents, photos, videos and music. I don't use Windows "My Documents" (or in my case with Windows 7, just "Documents"), at all. On the D drive I created 4 folders, Documents, Videos, Photos and Music, and I copied all of those files to those folders.

I haven't deleted the folders on the C drive, that would mess up my profile, but when I was satisfied the copying worked on all files, I deleted the original files.

Of course, I have multiple backups of all these, on external media.

Mark

Collapse -
extra in general
by tedtks / December 23, 2011 5:18 AM PST

whenever you download or save say a photo - look at the right of the
box that says its going to put them in the documents folder or any of the others on drive C: - and click on
the browse or whatever it says - and in the dropdown highlight the folder on
the d: drive you want them and they will get loaded directly to that folder
and you wont have to do this again.

Collapse -
User account access
by yuduke / January 10, 2013 11:53 PM PST

If I move documents to the D drive, are they still only accessible to the user account I am logged in with, or will they be accessible to any user who is logged into my computer?

Collapse -
Re: moving
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 11, 2013 9:34 PM PST
In reply to: User account access

I you use the right-click method (move in the properties of the folder) it will be yours only. If you make a new folder yourself and copy your files to that, it will be open to everybody by default (soime OS'es allow you to change that).

But remember that any user that is administrator can see all files of other users, including the original My Documents.

Kees

Collapse -
Yes, drag and drop, cut and paste, copy and then delete, etc
by Doh_1 / December 23, 2011 4:52 PM PST

As the other posters have said, create folders with meaningful names on the D: drive, and just put stuff there. You can have the same folder names on the C: and D: drive if that's what you want to do, that's fine. The drive letter (C: or D:) is part of the full path name of the file, so even if the folder name is the same, the full path will be different. Or you can just drag and drop full folders from the C: drive to the D: drive. You can also use cut and paste on files and folders, or copy to D: drive, then go and delete from C: drive, whatever makes you feel safest while you're doing it. I would keep programs on the C: drive, though, if possible, and data files can be on either drive.

Collapse -
to everyone who has answered my question
by rbspot / December 24, 2011 9:06 AM PST

Thanks a lot. Enjoy the holidays : Christmas, Hanoukkah, New Year!!!!

Collapse -
Answer
Mark
by rbspot / December 17, 2011 12:04 AM PST

THANKS

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.