Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

How do I make task bar icons larger?

by bigdaddya / April 15, 2006 9:53 AM PDT

I changed the resolution of my monitor/adapter from 800x600 to 1024x768 to accommodate google earth. i figured out how to make the desktop icons and their labels bigger but I still have really tiny icons in the task bar. How do I make these bigger?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I make task bar icons larger?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I make task bar icons larger?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It took some playing around to find an answer
by DarCLew2 / April 15, 2006 10:55 AM PDT

I made mine small again when I found out how to make them bigger. I went to Control Panel, Then to Display and there is an Advanced to click on under the Appearance Tab. When you get there, click on the minimize, x and make larger icons and it will display caption buttons and all you have to do is resize them to a larger number or scroll down the list to caption buttons. everything is listed in there including different settings for toolbars, icons the way you want fonts under the icons, etc. Enjoy!! Darrell

Collapse -
this works
by bigdaddya / April 17, 2006 12:55 AM PDT

This works great if you make the active window title bar wider, which is ok by me.

Collapse -
Re: How do I make task bar icons larger?
by Tufenuf / April 15, 2006 1:00 PM PDT

bigdaddya, Here's another way. Unlock your Taskbar and to the right of the Start button you'll see a perforated verticle line, put your cursor(pointer)just to the right of that perforated verticle line and right click, choose View and choose Large Icons. After doing this Lock the Taskbar again.

Collapse -
thank you Tufenuf...
by nuttron / April 16, 2006 5:32 AM PDT

very cool Wink

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) nuttron ; You're Welcome & Glad to Help.
by Tufenuf / April 16, 2006 6:20 AM PDT
In reply to: thank you Tufenuf...
Collapse -
no view option shows up
by bigdaddya / April 17, 2006 12:45 AM PDT

thanks for the help but when I right click to the right of the perforated vertical line I don't get anything that says view. I get a menu that says :
cascade windows
tile windows horizontally
tile windows vertically
show the desktop
task manager
lock the taskbar
None of these has a submenu with view on it. ?

Collapse -
Re: no view option shows up
by Tufenuf / April 17, 2006 1:53 AM PDT

bigdaddya, To get the View option right click your Taskbar,put your pointer over Toolbars and checkmark Quick Launch. Then right click the Taskbar again and uncheck Lock the Toolbars. Go over to the left aside of your Start button and right click directly to the right(just about touching it)of the perforated verticle line and you should see the View option at the top. You will not get the View option if the Quick Launch is unchecked. I'm glad to see that the other option worked for you and this option should also work.

Collapse -
by Antares_Requiem / December 22, 2011 7:58 AM PST

I followed your steps and that was ExACTLY WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR. Thank you so much!!!!
Damn they really hide that option hahaha LOL

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Many thanks DarClew2 and Tufenuf !!!!
by bigdaddya / April 17, 2006 12:57 AM PDT
Collapse -
re: How to....
by WOODS-HICK / April 17, 2006 2:39 AM PDT

I downloaded "free launch bar 1.0". It does what you're asking and more. Get it at CNET's:

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.