Cameras forum

General discussion

How do I make file sizes smaller for emailing, etc.?

by Gary Sutton / March 31, 2005 6:30 PM PST

Is there a simple way to make the JPG files smaller so I can attach them to e-mails?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I make file sizes smaller for emailing, etc.?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I make file sizes smaller for emailing, etc.?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
.jpg file size
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / March 31, 2005 10:46 PM PST

You need a software program that lets you work with graphics, such as Irfanview

Irfanview is a free program and can be found at"

There are two ways to reduce the jpeg file size.

Examples will be based on using Irfanview.
Most graphics programs work the same.

1. Reduce the size of the picture (i.e. resize 800x600 to 640x480).
With .jpg picture displayed in Irfanview, click "Image" then click "Resize/Resample".

2. Increase the compression of the file.
With .jpg picture displayed in Irfanview, click "File" then click "Save As".
Look for the "Save Quality' slider to your right
Move the "Save Quality" slider to 50.
Now change the name of the file (If the name was horse, change it to horse50).
Click "Save" button.

Now use Windows Explorer to navigate to the folder where you have the "horse.jpg" and "horse50.jpg"

Right click on each file and click "Properties".
Compare the size of the files and you will find that "horse50" will be smaller.

If it is not small enough, go back to Irfanview and load "horse.jpg" again and this time use a "Save Quality" smaller that 50.

Since .jpg compression is lossy, if you over-compress the picture it will effect the visual quality of the picture. Most pictures can be compressed to between 30 and 50 with little visual change.

There is no absolute setting since it depends upon the complexity of the picture. (i.e. A picture with a large area of blue sky will compress further). A picture with lots of surfaces, such as tree leaves, should not be compressed as much.

Collapse -
.jpg file size
by taboma. / August 16, 2005 12:54 PM PDT
In reply to: .jpg file size

Joe, there is a discussion on email file sizes on the graphic's forum now. Your forum came up with a couple of other ways to resize as well as the graphic's group did.
How about you compare notes and do a new post with all the suggestions needed to reduce the jpg files to fit email.
Suggest that to Bob Proffitt also. You could post to both the Graphics forum as well as the Digital camera forum and inform both forums of the results.

Joe, I think it would be great info for everyone.
Interesting that both goups had a few more ways that are new and work for the Mac and PC.
I think it is interesting to have so many ways to use photo files and manipulate them. Perhaps more ways?

Thanks, and really like this forum, keep up your good work.

Kevin Smith

Collapse -
Image Resizer
by shybull / March 31, 2005 11:21 PM PST

If you are using Windows XP. Microsoft has a power tool called Image Resizer. When installed, if you right click on a picture it gives you the option to resize the picture, three options, small, medium, large. It copies and resizes the image and leaves the original alone. Also if you right click on image in XP another option is send to, mail recipient. It then asks you if you would like to resize the image for easier emailing.

Collapse -
Resizing images
by Rodax / April 1, 2005 1:46 AM PST
In reply to: Image Resizer

I use the Windows Paint program. It is simple and available on most computers. Open the image with the Paint program. In the upper left hand corner click "image." From the next menu click the second option down, "Stretch/Skew." The stretch/skew option now shows Horizontal and Vertical percentages. Simply make these 50% or 25% respectively and you will immediately see the resized image. If unhappy, click "undo" and try another size or close and "Don't save changes." If pleased, click File, save as, and then give it a name. Make sure that you save it as a JPEG file and not a Bit map image. JPEG will compress more unlike the Bit map file. This allows you to choose the exact size you want instead of a resizer that chooses for you or limits your options.

Collapse -
by taboma. / August 15, 2005 9:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Resizing images

Paint Pro was also mentioned in our Graphics Forum recently converting & changing Tiff files to Jpeg. Maybe the program has re-sizing options? Others recommended were Infranview (Joe told you about that software) for the PC as well as Adobe Quicktime Pro and Adobe Photoshop. Adobe has another software package for about $79 that does the same thing for the PC and the Mac as well (Adobe Elements.)
You can go to and try-out any of their programs for free. Download them and try them out. The only thing that you can't do with the try-out versions is to do a save. Nice to evaluate the FULL Versions.

Collapse -
Image resizer try it
by shybull / April 1, 2005 4:43 AM PST

He said a simple way

Is there a simple way to make the JPG files smaller so I can attach them to e-mails?

Collapse -
Try Batch Image Resizer
by jklnsoft / August 13, 2005 10:35 AM PDT
Collapse -
In Microsoft Office
by jas0nhe / August 14, 2005 2:24 AM PDT

If you use Microsoft Office, there should be a "Microsoft Office Picture Manager" application included. That can resize photos -- and in my experience -- resizes pretty well.

Collapse -
Great program
by cmfavorito / August 17, 2005 8:06 AM PDT

Picasa 2, which is a terrific free photo editing and organizing program from Google, will automatically resize your digital images for emailing.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.