Storage forum

Question

How do I make dropped HD work?

by Benson011b / November 18, 2012 9:43 PM PST

Hello Everyone!

I have a Western Digital My Book 2TB that was being used as my backup drive. It got dropped and yes it was turned on and plugged in too Sad

I've read several posts saying that there is no hope and bin it but my problem is that I was having a good tidy when this happened and EVERYTHING was on this.

If I plug the USB3 cable into the laptop I do not get the automatic box asking how I want to open it. However, I am able to see it in Disk Management. It shows as Disk 3 - Unknown - Not Initialized.

I am told I must initialize a disk before Logical Disk Manager can access it. I'm asked what partition style I want - MBR or GPT. Either way I get the error "The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error."

I have tried recovery software but as the drive doesn't show up I can't select it.

I think that the disk still spins. The LED lights flash. I've also removed it from the housing and put into an external USB docking bay but this does not show up the drive anywhere. (Cheap docking bay?)

My last resort is to buy an identical drive and swap the platters and do in a clean as possible room and hope for the best. Even if I only recover part of the drive it'll be something.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks for all the help!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I make dropped HD work?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I make dropped HD work?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
The problem with your plan
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 19, 2012 2:13 AM PST

Is you remove all possibility that DriveSavers will touch this.

Did you try this drive in a desktop or new case?
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
As Bob suggest ...
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 19, 2012 2:58 AM PST

I'd find a professional data recovery company (like drivesavers.com). See the list of WD certified company where you get a discount (that's nice, because it easily be a 4 digit amount - in US dollars) at http://support.wdc.com/recovery/index.asp?lang=en

Having everything on a disk is a good idea. But having it on only ONE disk is a bad idea if it's an internal disk and a VERY BAD idea if it's an external disk. The failure rate of such a disk is much too high, even for owners handling it carefully.
As we say here "You only lose what you didn't backup". It seems you'll lose a lot (either data or money).

Kees

Collapse -
Alternative
by Benson011b / November 19, 2012 6:08 AM PST
In reply to: As Bob suggest ...

Hello - Thanks for the reply but I already know this is an option. I'm trying to find if anyone has experience firstly diagnosing the issue and then treatment of the problem.

Thanks again

Collapse -
When the data matters we send it to the recovery folk.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 19, 2012 6:15 AM PST
In reply to: Alternative

Only those that are new to this or don't need the data back will try moving platters.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.