Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

How do I make a backup copy of my Bios?

by lassean1 / February 11, 2006 5:44 PM PST

I was just wondering because I am a student and I will be doing a HDD installation in the near future. I run windows XP for my OS and I am sorry not too specific but I have a gateway 33 SE if that helps any. It's just a Pentium 3. Thanks for the help.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I make a backup copy of my Bios?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I make a backup copy of my Bios?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Backing up registry.
by Papa Echo / February 11, 2006 6:14 PM PST

One way is to go to the reigstry editor. Then File menu, then Export.

Collapse -
Opps !
by Papa Echo / February 11, 2006 8:14 PM PST
In reply to: Backing up registry.

no- not this way for BIOS.

Collapse -
But try this-
by Papa Echo / February 11, 2006 8:24 PM PST
In reply to: Opps !

You need software: Read

Or you just have to note down the settings.

Collapse -
Short answer: You don't
by joe_smith / February 11, 2006 7:09 PM PST

The BIOS isn't something you can back up with any degree of ease. And even if you could, there's no way to restore it if it ever becomes corrupted.

The good news is, a hard drive installation is pretty simple and the only potential problem you'll likely have is the drive is larger than the BIOS authors ever anticipated would be used with the system. A bit unlikely on a Pentium 3 system however.

Collapse -
Google it
by Amos16 / February 12, 2006 2:33 AM PST

Hi - for most machines you can find the BIOS specifications on Google, that's how the techies repair them if they become corrupted in a comp they do not know by heart. You have to be very specific in your search, but once you get the settings you can just print them. Repairing the BIOS is quite another matter, as my peers have pointed out. All the best - Amos.

Collapse -
That is what happened to me...
by lassean1 / February 12, 2006 10:30 AM PST

My drive was not being recognized by the bios it was a 120 GB drive. It would say system halted in the bios when i would try and boot it.

Collapse -
Perhaps an understand of what the BIOS is . . .
by Cursorcowboy / February 11, 2006 9:26 PM PST
Collapse -
Don't think backup
by Papa Echo / February 12, 2006 12:23 PM PST

Been thinking since my last posts.

You cannot easily backup the BIOS because the settings are not on the HD, but on ''CMOS memory''.

Maybe you are intrested in making a record of the settings ? It would be not worth the effort to make a ''backup''. Before XP, there were programs like ''syschk'' which check your system and make a record of it, including BIOS settings, and the program let you print out the ''report''. However, that does not work for XP. So, just make a manual record of the settings, or if you have a digital camera, get a photogrphic recoed - ''screen shots'' of each page.

The BIOS settings are not that important to warrant a ''backup''. Just set it at ''default'' if ''something'' happens,then go back to reset ''at your leisure''

It may be possible to print out the BIOS information for some BIOS and systems. This involves the Print Screen key. suggest you put print BIOS into Google for more information.

Collapse -
That depends on whether or not...
by Edward ODaniel / February 12, 2006 1:49 PM PST

the board's manufacturer has provided a BIOS Flash utility that will save the old BIOS to the floppy prior to writing the new one.

You will have to check at the Gateway Support site for your own SPECIFIC computer.

They make it easy because you can perform your support searching by Serial Number.

Go here

Enter your computer's serial number then follow the screen prompts to locate any BIOS updates.

When you have located the correct one click on it and in the resulting screen click on the "How to Install" link and read it carefully. If their installation utility will back the BIOS up it will be mentioned. If it is not mentioned in the step by step instructions it is a sure bet that it will not back up the old BIOS.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions