Computer Help

Question

How do i know what CPUs are compatible wiht my MOBO?

by nathanfrabott / December 29, 2012 3:17 AM PST

So i am fairly new to computer hardware, and i am looking to slowly update my parts, my current CPU is a Intel Pentium 2.6 GHz dual-core and i am looking for an i5 processor or at least a very good i3 processor to replace my current one. The only problem is that i don't really know how to tell what kind of MOBO i have, i downloaded a program to tell me i just don't know how to read it properly enough to do my own diagnosis. Would someone please tell me what CPU (the cheapest you can find) is compatible with my MOBO? Here is what my current MOBO is(i think) correct me if i am wrong and i will post something else: Thank you in advance for taking the time to help me!

Motherboard::
Manufacturer:Pegatron

Model: Benicia 1.01

Chipset: intel P35/G33/G31 Rev:A2

Southbridge:Intel 82801IR (ICH9R) Rev:02

LPCIO: Fintek F8000

BIOS:
Brand: American Megatrends Inc

Version:5.39

Date: 05/06/2009

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do i know what CPUs are compatible wiht my MOBO?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do i know what CPUs are compatible wiht my MOBO?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
The i3 - I7 chips use different sockets
by wpgwpg / December 29, 2012 3:37 AM PST

The Pentium chips use a different mobo socket from the I3 - I7 chips, so none of those will work on a mobo that has a Pentium processor. To further complicate the picture some of the I3 - I7 chips use two different kinds of sockets, so you have to check the mobo specs closely to know.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Answer
Since Pegatron
by Jimmy Greystone / December 29, 2012 4:13 AM PST

Since Pegatron only does OEM parts, that means you have a brand name computer, and you should basically just forget about upgrading the CPU. Typically the chipset will be locked down to only support very modest upgrades that aren't cost effective.

Collapse -
so...
by nathanfrabott / December 29, 2012 5:07 AM PST
In reply to: Since Pegatron

So do i need to just get a new MOBO also? and thatll be good to go?

Collapse -
You will need more than a new motherboard
by lacsr / December 29, 2012 8:17 PM PST
In reply to: so...

With the hardware in the Pentium system, the whole system will probably need to be updated. Today's i3, i5, or i7 , if that is one of the choices, will not use the same memory, motherboard or maybe even the video card or hard drive from the older Pentium system. One should consider just "starting anew" instead of trying to update from the older system stated.

Collapse -
Without knowing the Mfg, Series and Model # of the existing
by VAPCMD / December 29, 2012 11:57 PM PST

PC, it's hard to give anything more than guesses at what CPU might work.

Generally speaking, PC mfgs make PCs to sell 'as is', not for upgrading. Can it be upgraded a little ? Maybe add more RAM, add or upgrade the video card, change CPU...maybe but no guarantee. Just because the another CPU fits in the socket...doesn't mean it will be recognized at all or it may be recognized but not function fully or it may work as designed.

As others have indicated....a CPU upgrade might end up requiring a new motherboard, different RAM, a video card, a new operating system, power supply, etc.,

Bottom line, look at the alternatives. A new CPU (the chip) may work but it may lead to additional parts to really make it work as intended. By that time a new PC with a warranty may be the better option.

Let us know how it works out.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
No
by Jimmy Greystone / December 30, 2012 2:01 AM PST

No. You should just take however much money you were willing to spend on this little project, and squirrel it away somewhere. Then add to it over time, and save up for a whole new computer. That is essentially what you'd be doing anyway trying to do anything with what you have, so you may as well at least make sure you've got sufficient funds to do it before you start.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.