Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

PC Applications

Question

How do I know if BTGuard / uTorrent is working??

by dan161011 / November 30, 2012 5:35 AM PST

Hi all,

New to this forum.

I have just subscribed to BTGuard and then downloaded uTorrent. I am just querying if BTGuard is doing its job.

It is connected, so I have the green padlock item showing.

When I did the test torrent it showed a random IP address under the DHT/Peer Exchange bits in the tracker tab on uTorrent however when I download anything else there is no IP address being shown in this tab.

If I go to the tracker tab I see the following;

[DHT] working
[Local Peer Discovery] working
[Peer exchange] working

Then under this I see a load of random tracker URLs most of which say working. But no IP address showing as it did with the test torrent. The IP address is only shown in the logger tab from when the program was first launched that session (and it is my actual IP address).

Now I thought the purpose of BTGuard was to show a different IP address to yours and it does on the test torrent and the test IP website. I am just wondering what I should be looking for in uTorrent to ensure BTGuard is working.

All the BitTorrent settings are as per the BTGuard website instructions.

Thanks alot guys and girls.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do I know if BTGuard / uTorrent is working??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do I know if BTGuard / uTorrent is working??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I see they answer that question at link.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 30, 2012 5:39 AM PST
Collapse -
PS. About the other question.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 30, 2012 5:40 AM PST

Unless uTorrent integrates with this, the answer is no.

Collapse -
Please elabarate a bit on that....
by dan161011 / November 30, 2012 5:46 AM PST

Sorry what other question?

Basically when I do the test torrent it shows an IP address under the peer exchange bit, which it is obviously supposed to do so it is showing you your IP address is different to its true one. But I am wondering if when downloading any random torrent does the tracker tab still show you an IP address or not? It isnt so I assume it isnt supposed to, I am just wondering if there is something I should be looking for in uTorrent which shows your IP address? So I can see it working when downloading something other than the test torrent.

Thanks

Collapse -
The test does
by dan161011 / November 30, 2012 5:47 AM PST

The test does work, just wondering when downloading a normal random torrent i.e. film tv show etc does the tracker tab or any other tab (other than the logger tab) supposed to show your IP address anywhere? New to uTorrent. It shows it in tracker for the test torrent, but should it for anything else?

Thanks

Collapse -
Sorry but
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 4, 2012 12:42 AM PST
In reply to: The test does

The way that all this works and how these two are not integrated means that you are seeing exactly what you are seeing.

I see there is a support link at the BTguard site and if they don't support you, then maybe it's time to move on. I can't support this but I can discuss how the integration aspect means you could get confused about what you see in uTorrent.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.