PC Hardware forum

How Do I Initialize My GPU?

by mr_stat / December 31, 2012 2:49 AM PST

Hey, guys. I have a Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 in my computer that isn't being recognized in Device Manager. I therefore am forced to use the Intel 4K graphics. I have gone into the BIOS and set the computer to read the PCI slots first, but this was unsuccessful. How do I get my GPU recognized, and how do I enable it to be the default graphics setting? Installing drivers has not worked either.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How Do I Initialize My GPU?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How Do I Initialize My GPU?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Common issues.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 31, 2012 3:34 AM PST

I only have the clues you provided so these are likely incorrect.

1. Install the latest BIOS.
2. Connect the PSU lead if required to the GPU card.
3. Ask the PC maker if they know of any card compatibility issues.
4. Fit a PSU double the size for a test run.

Collapse -
Go into the BIOS and DISABLE the onboard
by VAPCMD / December 31, 2012 5:03 AM PST

video. Save the change and reboot

Then make sure the monitor is cabled to the new video card and restart the PC

Collapse -
Black Screen
by mr_stat / December 31, 2012 7:39 AM PST

I tried doing this in the BIOS, and now all I get is a black screen when I boot. What's wronggggg?

Collapse -
Does the GPU require separate power from the PSU ?
by VAPCMD / December 31, 2012 8:23 AM PST
In reply to: Black Screen

If yes, did you connect it ?

How about you PSU.....exactly which one (PSU) do you have ?

How are you connecting to the monitor...via the VGA or DVI connector ?

Collapse -
by mr_stat / December 31, 2012 9:30 AM PST

Yes, I connected the PCI express cable from the power supply to the graphs card. I have an Antec High Current Gamer 620 W PSU. I'm connecting to the monitor throughout DVI.

Collapse -
(NT) Ok. And is the monitor set to the DVI or VGA connector ?
by VAPCMD / December 31, 2012 10:54 AM PST
In reply to: Yes, PCIE
Collapse -
by mr_stat / December 31, 2012 11:22 AM PST

It's connected via DVI.

Collapse -
Connected ...OK. The question is ... is the monitor set to
by VAPCMD / December 31, 2012 12:00 PM PST
In reply to: DVI

use the DVI input or the VGA input ?

In my monitor manual it says:

Selecting the Signal Connectors and Cables
The monitor features two DVI-I connectors capable of supporting either analog or digital input. The video mode supported by the DVI-I connector is determined by the video cable used.
- For digital operation, use the DVI-D signal cable provided. Connect the DVI-D signal cable to a DVI-I connector on the monitor and the other end to the DVI connector on the computer.
- For analog operation, use the DVI-I to VGA signal cable provided. Connect the DVI-I to VGA signal cable to a DVI-I connector on the monitor and the other end to the VGA connector on the computer. The monitor will automatically determine which inputs have valid video signals. The inputs can be selected through the On-Screen Display (OSD) feature by pressing the Input Select button on the front.

Collapse -
Digital Operation... I think you're missing the point
by mr_stat / December 31, 2012 2:36 PM PST

Alright, my monitor is working completely fine. I just need the computer to recognize the video card.

Collapse -
Not missing your point ...just trying to cover the
by VAPCMD / December 31, 2012 3:04 PM PST

multitude of possibilities without the benefit of being there and knowing the things you've tried.

If you're sure the GPU is fully seated, you've tried it in another slot (if any) and it's not working, do you have another PC you can try it in?

BTW ...what MB or system is this going in ?

Collapse -
No Other PC
by mr_stat / January 1, 2013 12:17 AM PST

My motherboard is the Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H,

Collapse -
Did the system ever function properly before the new GPU ?
by VAPCMD / January 1, 2013 2:32 AM PST
In reply to: No Other PC

Did you try the new card in one of the other PCIe slots ?

Do you have another GPU to try ?

Now that we know the MB...how is the BIOS set ?

Init Display First:
Specifes the frst initiation of the monitor display from the installed PCI graphics card, PCI Express graphics card, or the onboard graphics.
- Auto Lets BIOS automatically configure this setting. (Default)
- IGFX Sets the onboard graphics as the first display.
- PEG Sets the PCI Express graphics card on the PCIEX16 slot as the first display.
- PCI Sets the graphics card on the PCI slot as the first display.

Internal Graphics:
Enables or disables the onboard graphics function. (Default: Auto)

Collapse -
The System Runs Very Well
by mr_stat / January 1, 2013 3:43 AM PST

My PC runs completely fine, except that I want to get use out of my GPU and not use Intel's onboard graphics. I do not have another GPU, and if I tried installing the 7950 into another PCIe slot, it would interfere with things like sata ports because the card is so big. The BIOS is set to default settings, because I had to clear cmos. I tried disabling the onboard graphics in the BIOS but this just led to a black screen. I'm thinking it's just a faulty card.

Collapse -
Did this card ever work?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2013 12:22 AM PST

The story is too light so far. The full rundown of both the story, the machine is not here so there's a lot of guessing going on.

I wonder if mr-stat is getting frustrated?

Collapse -
Pretty Frustrated...
by mr_stat / January 1, 2013 3:44 AM PST
Collapse -
No, the Card has Never Worked
by mr_stat / January 1, 2013 3:45 AM PST

Sadly, my 7950 has never worked.

Collapse -
That's a clue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2013 3:52 AM PST

Time to get it tested or just exchange it.

Collapse -
Probably Exchange It
by mr_stat / January 1, 2013 8:02 AM PST
In reply to: That's a clue.
Collapse -
Cards today are swapped, not fixed.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2013 11:48 PM PST
In reply to: Probably Exchange It

That card is on the list at tomshardware and you must be sure to have the power to drive it. Bob

Collapse -
If I was picking, I'd head over to Newegg to see what
by VAPCMD / January 2, 2013 1:04 AM PST
In reply to: Probably Exchange It

buyers are reporting on the cards in question. Here's a link to GPUs based on the 7950 chipset available at Newegg and how they're rated by the buyers. You can ignore the ones that downrate the product because of reasons not pertaining to the card itself.

Personally I seems a little like a crap shoot...as some arrive DOA, some die after just a few moments and others are just perfect. At least this gives you some info about the products available from different mfgs based on the 7950 chipset.

I too have been looking for a GPU update but there are so few cards which are consistently rated 5 or 4 which is a sad commentary on product manufacturing QC. All things considered such a high-end purchase might be better made locally vice the net. In the event it doesn't work...you just return or exchange it for one that is working.

Let us know how it works out.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.